• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Western Force 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
If Ben Seymor isn't considered a chance to take over at 5/8 why sign him? If they are looking at Dave Harvey now why wasn't he signed in the first place? Is it a case of signing a young player on the chance he will come good? or is it Phil Blakes influence?

Seymour was signed when there were two others who would have started before he did. I doubt he/they would have expected to get game time except a few appearances off the bench. At that stage there was no point in signing Harvey because he is getting too old to be a development prospect. Why not sign a young player on the chance they will come good? There aren't a whole lot of options at 10 in Australian rugby so you have to take your chances.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Perhaps because in general players play in the positions they are told not where they want. Something about coaches & selectors and that kind of malarky.
yeah right - think about it: if he told deans "no I want to be a 12" what do you think would happen. And having accepted the gig you dont think it will play some part in the Rebels calculations.
The eoyt was not a salt mine.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
I've thought about it and I think players play where the staff think is best for the team, not what the individual wants. Sure there might be discussion on the issue but the coaching staff make the call, not the player.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
a player who said he did not want to play in a particular position would not be picked there these days

That is just bullshit mate! If there was a player who thought himself above the team he should be shown the door! For instance, since we are talking about O'Connor, do you really reckon that he was ecstatic about being told he'd be on the wing? Seeing as his ambition is at 12 or 10 I'd say no, however I'm sure he was just stoked to be picked to play for his country no matter where it might be and would continue to be stoked about it as long as he could hold his spot.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
What, because of one incident? Which he paid the ultimate price of being dropped from the test side? Yep, that backs up your argument no end.....

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Well hows this ...pal...... JOC (James O'Connor) has been playing wing for the Wallabies for a few years now, we have had more than a couple of tens & 12's in this time... now in your reckoning he only wants to play in these positions & wouldn't have to play somewhere he didn't want to..... then why the hell has he had number 11 on his back.... & 15 for that matter , for the majority of his tests? He'll most likely be back there this year to if Cooper learns from his frailties.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
you'll need to show me where I said that he only wants to play 10 - to save you the trouble I used the word "ambition": pick up the thread from there

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
This isn't just about O'Connor, he was the example being used. I am talking about your claim that no player would play in a position that they don't want to play. I find this statement to be absurdly preposterous and will just leave it at that. Couldn't be bothered going around in circles. Good evening to you sir!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
However, if Graham is not happy with the talent available he said he may opt for another No.9.
That would see former Australian 7s player of the year James Stannard step up as first-choice pivot and put the pressure on Turner.

From the West article. Seems pretty pointless with both Sheehan, Turner and if they can pick up a good 10 Stannard could drop back to 9 as well if required (in fact Stannard is still listed as a scrumhalf on the Force website).

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Yeh true charger. I think Stannard should be listed as a 10 now. We didnt see him much at half back though.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
From what I have seen of Stannard in 15 man rugby he is a better 10 than a 9.

There may be serendipity with Ripia's demise. Supposing Turner is fully fit (and he trained last week) then Stannard can remain at 10 if Sheehan is crocked. Turner will get more game time than he otherwise would.

This would conform to my cunning plan of getting Turner, and White of the Brumbies, to contend for Phipp's reserve spot with the Wallabies. I rate White and a healthy Turner highly; White will likely be the starting Brumbies' scrummie but I doubted that Turner would be seen much on the park as 3rd string.

Injury to Stannard would be a problem but promoting Godwin from the EPS squad - and having him contend with Seymour in the trials, to decide who is best to back up Stannard - is probably the way to go if they can't source an experienced flyhalf. Then Godwin's old place in the EPS should be taken by a scrumhalf such as Roos, or Cottee if he hasn't retired to work on his business, (he has already been in the Force stable).

I see they are talking about Dave Harvey as a replacement for Ripia. I thought he was in France in the Pro D2 playing under coach Justin Harrison for Narbonne. One wouldn't have minded getting $10 for every time one has mentioned him for the Force (or even the Rebels before I knew they were allowed to get a lot of foreigners.)

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Id like to see Stannard kept as a 10.
That would leave space in the squad, as I think we could sort out cover for Stannard should he go down. Its pointless trying to look for a 1 year cover as we will just hit this problem again next year.

That would allow us to either bring in Godwin to the senior squad, or resign Swanepoel, who I think was chasing a kiwi super contract (but didnt get one).
I thought that Swanepoel and Stannard combined well last year and I was disappointed to see him not resigned.

Edit: On top of that, Sheehan is now 32? and wont be around much longer. It would be good to have two decent young scrummies fighting it out (like we do with hookers) rather than one older one who gets all the game time, and a cover

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
It would be good to have two decent young scrummies fighting it out (like we do with hookers) rather than one older one who gets all the game time, and a cover

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't you guys used to have a young scrumhalf who loved 'fighting it out' with team mates just a bit too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.