• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Rebels - Sunday 21 May - Allianz Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
If you're a Tahs fan that first 20 minutes was fucking disastrous. The rest of the game though, despite some poor execution and decision making, was very entertaining. Is that the first game an Aussie side has put 50 on anyone this season? (even if it was another Aussie team).

PS I'm glad Hodge seems to be OK, might miss a week but thats OK from a Wallabies point of view

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)
That should be a yellow card every day of the week. Players should stop batting the ball down to try and prevent the other team scoring.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

id rather see a player try and stop a try than do nothing. Its like a professional foul in soccer, you take the punishment, rather than give the opposition easy passage.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
id rather see a player try and stop a try than do nothing. Its like a professional foul in soccer, you take the punishment, rather than give the opposition easy passage.
Sure. If a player wants to do it and live with the consequences it's fine. But lowering the consequences for such negative play would be lunacy.

My point was that you should blame the player, not the laws or referee.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
My problem is that Foley was genuinely attempting an intercept, as are many other players that are carded.

Once the ball has left the passing players hands the opposing team should have a right to play at it if they can. We are essentially protecting an inflight ball from one team and that pisses me off, especially given such a situation could be avoided by a player choosing to pass earlier. Most times the player passes too late and opens the door to the possibility that the opposing team will get a hand to it.

If a ball spills out the back of a ruck a player that dives on it knowing that there's only a 40% chance he'll secure it and a 60% chance he'll knock it on isn't carded. Why should teams be able to take a similar shot at an inflight ball that is technically not in either teams possession?

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
TL;DR - don't pass to a opposing player who can knock it on.

A knock on is much like a civil infraction and not a criminal one. Someone shouldn't be imprisoned for a civil offense.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
On replay, Mumm should have gone to the bin in the Hanson rucking incident.

He's 2 metres out from his own line, ref has called tackle, and then, once again, called hands away. Definition professional foul. Latu being in the bin already and an overeager TMO shouldn't influence that non-decision.

Aside from that, well played Tahs, just too good today.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am always amazed by different refs interpretations, I rate Gardner as a ref, but he gives Latu such a hard time. Latu does his shit each week, leads in turnovers and then is penalised off the park both times Garsdner has reffed him this year

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
I am always amazed by different refs interpretations, I rate Gardner as a ref, but he gives Latu such a hard time. Latu does his shit each week, leads in turnovers and then is penalised off the park both times Garsdner has reffed him this year

we were reffed hard first 20 mins. i think it changed when hooper effectively starting dismissing gardner.

WTF?

Tom Lawton (22)
When is Dempsey back? I know he has started running again. For me 6,7,8 is Dempsey, Hooper, Hanigan. Hanigan is playing very good footy and is above Wells and Holloway for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
When is Dempsey back? I know he has started running again. For me 6,7,8 is Dempsey, Hooper, Hanigan. Hanigan is playing very good footy and is above Wells and Holloway for mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now our backrow is Wells, Hooper, Hanigan. As was absolutely clear from the Blues first half, none of those three are big enough and strong enough in the collisions. Dempsey is similar. Hooper is Hooper. Wells, Holloway, Hanigan and Dempsey need to put on 10kg extra of hard muscle and core strength. None of them can cope with the NZ backrows, nor most of the SA backrows, though they look good against other Australian teams. Next year we need to be able to win the collisions - all the collisions, not just the Aussie ones.

Don't get me wrong. Hanigan and Dempsey have huge potential - Wells and Holloway less so. But all of them are inferior one-on-one with their NZ opponents and until we address that, today's win was just window dressing. It shits me to tears that people used to bag Palu mercilessly. Now we know what its like without him and Pots. We are just a bunch of marshmallows.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It was nice to see the Tahs start to demonstrate what I think Gibson has been working on for the last two years.

Great interchange between players, direct running and just catch and pass. Early days, but promising

I expect those burgeoning skills to be greatly challenged next week under far more pressure, but it is worth continuing with

Shaker

Ron Walden (29)

Dont see a problem with his card. Penalty after penalty, AG gave them a card warning then he got caught not supporting his weight.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
On replay, Mumm should have gone to the bin in the Hanson rucking incident.

He's 2 metres out from his own line, ref has called tackle, and then, once again, called hands away. Definition professional foul. Latu being in the bin already and an overeager TMO shouldn't influence that non-decision.

In his defence, Mumm clearly thought it was a collapsed maul, and that he had the rights to keep holding the ball. I think that moves it away from a deliberate cynical penalty, and just into a dumb one.

IMO it was a 50/50, and I can understand why Gardner gave Mumm the benefit of the doubt.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
we were reffed hard first 20 mins. i think it changed when hooper effectively starting dismissing gardner.

I think it changed when the Tahs actually started respecting the laws of the game.

I said it on my match review, but I liked the way Gardner reffed that game. Set the standards in the first 20 with some hard (but fair) calls, which allowed the game to really open up in the last 40 when the players worked out where the line was.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Dont see a problem with his card. Penalty after penalty, AG gave them a card warning then he got caught not supporting his weight.

Agree, in context it deserved a card, just more a comment about Gardner's opinion of Latu's work. I don't think he attacked the ball again in the match

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Tahs' problem with those early penalties were the unnecessary ones such as Mumm getting pinged for being offside in the middle of the field. When the pressure mounts and you need to give away a couple, you're already under the pump from the referee and the cards get shown.

If we'd avoided a couple of the penalties prior to that, I don't think Latu gets a yellow card.

Twoilms

Trevor Allan (34)
Don't get me wrong. Hanigan and Dempsey have huge potential - Wells and Holloway less so. But all of them are inferior one-on-one with their NZ opponents and until we address that, today's win was just window dressing. It shits me to tears that people used to bag Palu mercilessly. Now we know what its like without him and Pots. We are just a bunch of marshmallows.

The Palu bagging was as bewildering as the Hooper bashing. Palu was the only capable ball carrying 8 Australia had for years and we havn't been able to replace him since. Admittedly turned a bit murderous in his last season or two.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
My problem is that Foley was genuinely attempting an intercept, as are many other players that are carded.

Once the ball has left the passing players hands the opposing team should have a right to play at it if they can. We are essentially protecting an inflight ball from one team and that pisses me off, especially given such a situation could be avoided by a player choosing to pass earlier. Most times the player passes too late and opens the door to the possibility that the opposing team will get a hand to it.

If a ball spills out the back of a ruck a player that dives on it knowing that there's only a 40% chance he'll secure it and a 60% chance he'll knock it on isn't carded. Why should teams be able to take a similar shot at an inflight ball that is technically not in either teams possession?

I don't think he was close to intercepting it. I think you very reasonably run the risk of a yellow card when you stick a hand out to block a pass when you're defending in your own 22. You probably need to catch it or at least get two hands to it otherwise you should be carded in my opinion.

It's cynical play and I think the penalty for it needs to be harsh otherwise it will happen more often.

Sticking a hand out hoping that the ball fortuitously bobbles up for you to catch isn't good enough in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.