• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Hurricanes, SFS - Revenge of the Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyril Towers (30)
NTA said:
Shit I just realised that the logo is for the Spastic Centre of NSW. Is this supporting Grumbles or in preparation for the Tahs getting their arses kicked and playing "like spastics"?

I suppose someone had to say it. Maybe we should have run a book on who it would be?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
topo said:
NTA said:
Shit I just realised that the logo is for the Spastic Centre of NSW. Is this supporting Grumbles or in preparation for the Tahs getting their arses kicked and playing "like spastics"?

I suppose someone had to say it. Maybe we should have run a book on who it would be?

Thats just offensive and you should be ashamed. Rugby is the sport of gentlemen and nothing re-enforces this more then what the Waratahs are doing.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Simmer down - I don't have a problem with them supporting charity and in fact am part of a rugby club that puts a big emphasis on it.

I was just channeling Lleyton Hewitt.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Someone probably thought this was a great idea at the beginning of the season, but this is a key home match, semi final on the line and the stadium should be a sea of light blue. Every single ounce of home advantage should be on the line to intimidate the Hurricane team. Anything that distracts from that is just that - a distraction. Another Tah's marketing idea from people who do not see that the rugby team is the core of the franchise. True Tah's are not into bread and circuses.

Why didn't they do this for the Lion's game, where it would not have reduced the focus?

A

AIDAN

not that this is much of a blow but Anesi has a fractured collarbone and is out. Expected to be replaced by Rory Sidey

Shaz

Frank Row (1)
Well considering what the Tah's are wearing and if the Hurricanes are to continue the redonkulous New Zealander policy of wearing your away strip no matter what, we could well dub this match something like "Pyjama's in the Park"!

This Waratahs strip looks alright, a little silly, but has nothing on the grey and black of the Hurricanes away strip (http://static.stuff.co.nz/1233108507/590/745590.jpg), really takes away from the spectacle..

Attachments

• Hurricanes_HomeAway.jpg
    Hurricanes_HomeAway.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 373

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Waratahs keep the faith for crucial Hurricanes clash
May 11, 2010 - 4:46PM

Australian Sevens captain Patrick McCutcheon returns to the Waratahs starting side. Photo: Getty Images
Waratahs coach Chris Hickey has made just two injury enforced changes for Friday's crucial Super 14 match against the Hurricanes at the Sydney Football Stadium.

Prop Benn Robinson (broken arm) and back Sosene Anesi (shoulder) were both ruled out of the clash after suffering injuries during the 46-19 win in Hamilton last week.

In their place Hickey has called Dan Palmer into the starting XV at loosehead for Robinson with Rory Sidey taking Anesi's spot on the bench.

After making several changes to his team's shape before the Chiefs match last weekend, Hickey said there was little reason for a similar reshuffle ahead of the Hurricanes fixture which the 'Tahs must win to assure themselves a semi-final spot.

"We tinkered with the side a bit last week with Berrick (Barnes) and Tom (Carter) shifting in and also Pat McCutcheon coming into the starting XV, and the results were really positive," said Hickey.

"Last week was a must-win game, as is this one, and the players who did the job against the Chiefs deserve the chance to again this Friday.

"It's particularly disappointing to lose both Robbo and Sos, but that creates opportunities for other players."

Hickey said Palmer showed he can fill in for the influential Robinson, who has been one of the Waratahs' best this season, and he had no qualms about throwing the 25-year-old into the fray.

"Dan Palmer's performance against the Highlanders proved he can handle it at loosehead at this level and he'll relish the opportunity to be there from the outset once again," Hickey said.

"Jeremy Tilse has also performed strongly from the bench for the last two weeks and we know when the time arrives he'll provide us with good impact."

If the 'Tahs come out on top against the Hurricanes, not only will they ensure a semi-final berth but they'll score their sixth-straight win in Sydney.

"It's always been the case that if you can win all of your home games in a Super 14 season then you'll be in with a good chance of making the finals and that goes on the line on Friday," Hickey said.

"With the Hurricanes also in contention for the semis this match becomes vital for both teams and hopefully will attract a crowd worthy of such a big game."

Waratahs: Kurtley Beale, Lachie Turner, Rob Horne, Tom Carter, Drew Mitchell, Berrick Barnes, Luke Burgess; Ben Mowen, Phil Waugh (capt), Patrick McCutcheon, Kane Douglas, Dean Mumm, Al Baxter, Tatafu Polota-Nau, Dan Palmer. Res: Damien Fitzpatrick, Jeremy Tilse, Chris Thomson, Dave Dennis, Josh Holmes, Daniel Halangahu, Rory Sidey.

Cyril Towers (30)
#1 Tah said:

Hickey said Palmer showed he can fill in for the influential Robinson, who has been one of the Waratahs' best this season, and he had no qualms about throwing the 25-year-old into the fray.

Must have been a tough game for Southern Districts last weekend. Palmer's aged 4 years overnight. :lmao:

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
topo said:
#1 Tah said:

Must have been a tough game for Southern Districts last weekend. Palmer's aged 4 years overnight. :lmao:

Good choice vs Tialata, but he still needs a haircut

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
fatprop said:
topo said:
#1 Tah said:

Acca Dacca for life!

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
fatprop said:

Agree with my inestimable front-row comrade - hair like that is for backs.

Good that Anesi is out. He made some good tackles on the weekend but I like the cut of Sidey's jib

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And I like McCutcheon too - hard worker and got really involved. Would like Alcock on the bench if that's possible, instead of Dud Thomson.

Cyril Towers (30)
Agree about McCutcheon a real hard worker (and an impeccable pedigree)
And Thomson, what is he doing there?
I assume Caldwell has a relapse of his illness, there is no other explanation for his absence. But with Dennis able to cover lock and back row why not throw another backrower on the bench. Alcock has shown he is up to it.

re Palmer's hair: there's a difference between your Quade/JOC (James O'Connor)/Beale stylings and a big boofhead who just can't be botrhered getting a hair cut. As long as he bitches Tialata I don't care how he looks.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Happy enough with this side. Cutch was very impressive in his 1st starting game and hopefully Mowen plays like he did last week. I have been a critic of Mowen and have called for Dennis to play instead but thought last week was the best Ive seen him play. Having said that it was a game that suited him but hope he can continue to prove me wrong.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Re: Waratahs v Hurricanes, SFS

#1 Tah said:
Anyone notice KB (Kurtley Beale)'s tattoo that says "Beale"??

It's an Aboriginal custom. It honours the family, not the wearer.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
This thread seems to have dropped down the order.

Has the Tahs team been announced yet? I've seen Palmer in for Ben and Sidey for Anese, but I don't know if that's official yet.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Hawko said:
This thread seems to have dropped down the order.

Has the Tahs team been announced yet? I've seen Palmer in for Ben and Sidey for Anese, but I don't know if that's official yet.

I hate to quote myself, so just scroll up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
HURRICANES:

15 Cory Jane,
14 Tamati Ellison,
13 Conrad Smith,
12 Ma'a Nonu,
11 Hosea Gear,

10 Aaron Cruden,
9 Piri Weepu,

8 Rodney So'oialo,