• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Hurricanes, SFS - Revenge of the Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
fatprop said:
15 Cory Jane,
14 Tamati Ellison,
13 Conrad Smith,
12 Ma'a Nonu,
11 Hosea Gear,

Pace and penetration - tick.

10 Aaron Cruden,
9 Piri Weepu,

Cruden's inexperience is made up for by Piri's nous and toughness - tick

8 Rodney So'oialo,
7 Karl Lowe,
6 Michael Paterson,

Handy - not outstanding though I haven't seen much of Lowe - tick.

5 Jeremy Thrush,
4 Bryn Evans
3 Neemia Tialata,
2 Andrew Hore (captain),
1 John Schwalger.

Solid tight five. That is a decent Front Row and though we won't dominate without Fat Cat, there is nothing particularly scary there.

Still, its up to the Tahs to use their defence to frustrate the backline. I hope Tommy Carter has his tackling head on because he'll have Cruden on his inside shoulder and Nonu outside. I'm comforted by the fact that Horne gets to look after Conrad.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Re: Waratahs v Hurricanes, SFS

Groucho said:
#1 Tah said:
Anyone notice KB (Kurtley Beale)'s tattoo that says "Beale"??

It's an Aboriginal custom. It honours the family, not the wearer.

Is this an ancient custom that has somehow been modernised? I think scarring (with symbols rather than words) was traditional for some tribes. Is this information from Beale himself?

KB (Kurtley Beale) wouldn't be the first young man, or rugby player, to have his name tattooed onto himself for non traditional/cultural reasons, although I'm not sure what reasons anyone would have - help with spelling? a form identification?

Cyril Towers (30)
They mentioned on the Rugby Club that Piri Weepu might be out with an ankle injury sustained at training. That would be a big blow for the Canes if it is true.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Tyson Keats is a great replacement - just a bit inexperienced. If the Tahs can get them on the back foot, it might then be an issue.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
When I had my tantrum after the Invercargill match I said the forwards would have to be more physical against the Clan the following week, and if they did, their backs would play better. If this happened folks may wonder why the backs improved so much in one week, and not appreciate that the main reason would be that the forwards did their job.

It's on again on Friday night. The forwards have to do their job and play hard in a team way, play smarter and not leave things to the other guys every now and then.. Otherwise it's Invercargill revisited.

On other matters: the passing has to improve. The Tahs scored enough tries against the Chiefs but against the Canes every chance will have to count - having to reach back, or too high or low, to catch the ball spoils momentum and having to run back to retrieve the ball is even worse.

Tackling will have to improve also. If tackles are missed and Nonu, Smith, Jane and Gear are in the vicinity goodbye Super14.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
When I had my tantrum after the Invercargill match I said the forwards would have to be more physical against the Clan the following week, and if they did, their backs would play better. If this happened folks may wonder why the backs improved so much in one week, and not appreciate that the main reason would be that the forwards did their job.

It's on again on Friday night. The forwards have to do their job and play hard in a team way, play smarter and not leave things to the other guys every now and then.. Otherwise it's Invercargill revisited.

On other matters: the passing has to improve. The Tahs scored enough tries against the Chiefs but against the Canes every chance will have to count - having to reach back, or too high or low, to catch the ball spoils momentum and having to run back to retrieve the ball is even worse.

Tackling will have to improve also. If tackles are missed and Nonu, Smith, Jane and Gear are in the vicinity goodbye Super14.

Yep, the Tahs have to dominate the 12 inches over the ball.

That is where a rugby match is won or lost, if the drive past the ball we win.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Strength and aggression at the breakdown are important, but also finesse and control - often the team who clears out too well (and too quickly for the scrum half/support) finds the ball out in the open at the back of their ruck and pilferred by an alert opponent.

The Waratah forwards need to have a blinder. Burgess needs to be much more accurate (even with good ball last week he had some wild moments). If those two fall in place the backs will (as LG says) look good.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Langthorne said:
Groucho said:
#1 Tah said:
Anyone notice KB (Kurtley Beale)'s tattoo that says "Beale"??

It's an Aboriginal custom. It honours the family, not the wearer.

Is this an ancient custom that has somehow been modernised? I think scarring (with symbols rather than words) was traditional for some tribes. Is this information from Beale himself?

KB (Kurtley Beale) wouldn't be the first young man, or rugby player, to have his name tattooed onto himself for non traditional/cultural reasons, although I'm not sure what reasons anyone would have - help with spelling? a form identification?
Does Blair Connor also have Aboriginal heritage?

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/mckenzie-keeps-it-simple-for-the-reds/

C

chief

In relation to Blair Connor's eagle, he plays for North Brisbane Rugby Club which has its logo as an Eagle. I certainly wouldn't get a logo of my local rugby club tattooed' into me.

S

simonr

Cant find a pic, but I saw Beau Robinson has his name tattooed accross his shoulder blades. I asked him if he was going to get the number 19 tattooed below it, but he didt answer...

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Rugby smart arse said:
Cant find a pic, but I saw Beau Robinson has his name tattooed accross his shoulder blades. I asked him if he was going to get the number 19 tattooed below it, but he didt answer...

:lmao: you're a brave man for saying that to his face. he didn't send you into next week?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rugby smart arse said:

He probably couldn't hear you from the third tier. :lmao:

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
chief said:
I certainly wouldn't get a logo of my local rugby club tattooed' into me.

If we win First and Second Grade, and the Club Championship, I'm getting the Renegades' club logo tattooed on my arse.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
NTA said:
chief said:
I certainly wouldn't get a logo of my local rugby club tattooed' into me.

If we win First and Second Grade, and the Club Championship, I'm getting the Renegades' club logo tattooed on my arse.

thanks for sharing [shudder]

Status
Not open for further replies.