• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs v Hurricanes, SFS - Revenge of the Dell

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Scarfman said:
mark_s said:
Special credit to Tilse for a huge performance against an All Black front row. We probably got marginally shaded in the scrums but it was near enough to parity given the circumstances. I do think tonights game has confirmed that we have seen the last of LE Fuse at Intl level.

Superprop

Actually, the superprop was fantastic - the scrum was rock solid. Full credit.

I thought Pocock was very generous to Baxter at scrum time given the number of collapses and resets and it seemed to be his side of the scrum that was the issue. 4 minutes into the second half we had two scrums and about 3 phases of play due to the time taken to keep Schwalger and Baxter on their feet. Kaplan, Joubert etc. have pinged Baxter heavily in the same circumstances in the past. Hore going off also took alot of pressure of us in the scrums.

This probably made up for Pocock trying to take Waugh out of the game by flogging us at the breakdown.

On our forwards, I was very impressed with our work at the breakdown last night. We countered the Canes(All black) tactic of players falling on ourside of the ruck and Soaolo taking out players on the side of ruck well and without any favours from the ref. If only the Wobbs can do the same thing. The frenetic nature of the game obviously helped, but there was lots of efforts by our pigs to drive for that extra foot or so and to keep the drive going for that extra second or so until after the ball is clear. They backed off marginally in the 2nd half once the game was won and you could see the impact as we didn't realy have clean ball again.

Luke Douglas (Kane's big bro) was hanging around the members exit as well post game. He was hard to spot given he his size doesn't make him stand out even though he is an indestructible NRL prop.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Gagger said:
An Australian back 3 that's creating opportunities, not just playing by numbers. Very good to see.

Ahem, if you watched a few of the Reds games you would have seen the very same thing. Without taking ANYTHING away from Beale, Lachie and Mitchell.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I saw Quade creating a lot and the Reds back 3 finishing well.

Fair that they haven't been 'playing by the numbers' though. That's been more the Brumbies and Wallabies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Gagger said:
An Australian back 3 that's creating opportunities, not just playing by numbers. Very good to see.

Ahem, if you watched a few of the Reds games you would have seen the very same thing. Without taking ANYTHING away from Beale, Lachie and Mitchell.

Yeah, having a 15 who will counter as first option and wingers who work back hard to give him options is the difference, Beale and Hynes will look for the opportunities, but their wingers leverage those opportunities.

Whether that be chasing the kick or running support lines

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Hawko said:
Overall it was a very good performance and a great night to be a Tah fan. Sad to see so little blue around the ground, the team deserved better. Sydneysiders are a detatched lot really, the mob in front of me were more interested in the beer and gossip.

You're not fucking kidding. I was yelling my heart out (having only arrived at halftime - thanks Sydneysiders you fluffybunnys for backing traffic up to the LCT) and the corduroy-jacket wearing bespectacled dickheads in front of me kept turning around to look down their noses at me. I had to physically restrain myself.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I think you guys are being a bit generous about our rucking. Burgess's best option all night was to fling the pill backwards 20 metres to Turner and Co. We lost a LOT of ruck ball in the first half - because the Canes were simply stronger and more aggressive than us, and also the ref let them play the ball on the ground.

Scrum got done very nastily until the Superprop saved the day.

I'm not saying the forwards were pants. Let's say they were FIT but not STRONG.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
topo said:
I have watched Jeremy Tilse play footy since 2003. He has always been an honest contributer who doesn't shirk the tough stuff and gives it his best. When he has been pilloried he keeps turning up. When he can't even get a run in Uni 1st grade he keeps turning up and playing the house down in 2nds. When the tahs start to regret that they have signed him, he keeps turning up and training the house down. When he gets a serious injury that ruins a season, he keeps working hard and training the house down. Tonight was your night Tilsey, well done. If he has to start in a semi or even a final, he will not let the team down. He has done his apprenticeship and is made of the right stuff.

Very nice post topo. I hope you're right!

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Noddy said:
Gagger said:

The NSW Waratahs are the copy cat Super 14 team of 2010, why else would they recruit the greatest Reds regrets of all time in Barnes and Mitchell. If only Beale had the kicking game of Hynes, Turner the speed of Davies and Mitchell the strength in the tackle like Ioane. Ha!

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Reddy! said:
Noddy said:
Gagger said:

The NSW Waratahs are the copy cat Super 14 team of 2010, why else would they recruit the greatest Reds regrets of all time in Barnes and Mitchell. If only Beale had the kicking game of Hynes, Turner the speed of Davies and Mitchell the strength in the tackle like Ioane. Ha!

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see how the Reds backline plays next we- oh wait....

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Reddy! said:
Noddy said:
Gagger said:

Yeah, they can remind eachother how good they are at the BBQ on Monday :thumb

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
I think you guys are being a bit generous about our rucking. Burgess's best option all night was to fling the pill backwards 20 metres to Turner and Co. We lost a LOT of ruck ball in the first half - because the Canes were simply stronger and more aggressive than us, and also the ref let them play the ball on the ground.

Scrum got done very nastily until the Superprop saved the day.

I'm not saying the forwards were pants. Let's say they were FIT but not STRONG.

The good thing is that after the first 10 minutes they adjusted, straightened up and sent more men to the clean out.

I also liked the Tahs setting two forwards in position to drive flat (with some nice interchanges) and then had Barnes deeper in between those two.

It made the Canes make defensive decisions, as every so often Burgess would fire a pass between the two forwards to Barnes who would run a play wider.

Smart play :thumb

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
BTW mark_s - the ref's name is Pollock but I think I'm going to call him Pillock from now on, because (as is typical of refs) he had no idea at scrum time. I saw a penalty given in the second half for Baxter hitting the deck, when it was fucking clear that the Canes LHP faded on the hit and got smashed for his trouble. Here's a hint to the budding refs out there: when one prop is flat on the deck and the other one still has his hips in the air, and shoulders on the ground, it is the fault of the latter for not meeting in the middle.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
mark_s said:
Special credit to Tilse for a huge performance against an All Black front row. We probably got marginally shaded in the scrums but it was near enough to parity given the circumstances. I do think tonights game has confirmed that we have seen the last of LE Fuse at Intl level.

Did you not see the Brumbies game? Le Fuse is required for one more season at least.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
NTA said:
Here's a hint to the budding refs out there: when one prop is flat on the deck and the other one still has his hips in the air, and shoulders on the ground, it is the fault of the latter for not meeting in the middle.

Interesting point, although not true if the prop on the deck has lost his footing.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
NTA said:
BTW mark_s - the ref's name is Pollock but I think I'm going to call him Pillock from now on, because (as is typical of refs) he had no idea at scrum time. I saw a penalty given in the second half for Baxter hitting the deck, when it was fucking clear that the Canes LHP faded on the hit and got smashed for his trouble. Here's a hint to the budding refs out there: when one prop is flat on the deck and the other one still has his hips in the air, and shoulders on the ground, it is the fault of the latter for not meeting in the middle.

No, NTA, your wrong. AS you've continually displayed this year, the person who has not a single clue about scrumtime is yourself. I've never ever in the year that I've been reading this say a single thing about scrumming which is even close to accurate. Here's a tip to budding ref's.... read anything NTA states and do the opposite - it's likely you'll be right.

Right, now that that little rant is over, just want to say what a fantastic performance by the Tahs. Thoroughly enjoyed watching the match even though the team I was supporting got destroyed. Turner and Beale pulled off some really arsey stuff & it was an absolute joy to watch. The canes were their own worst enemies, with tits for hands, but when they did start playing rugby they were once also good to watch.

Good luck with whoever you've got next week, like the Saders, I think your gonna need it.

And a final comment on the ref... I actually thought he got just about every single call right last night, which was good.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Bruce Ross said:
Interesting point, although not true if the prop on the deck has lost his footing.

Good point: if the prop in question is flat on his chest and is past the mark of the scrum, he's not likely to be the one at fault. If he's flat on his chest and hasn't advanced to the line of engagement, he's probably slipped or collapsed.

MajorlyRagerly said:
No, NTA, your wrong. AS you've continually displayed this year, the person who has not a single clue about scrumtime is yourself. I've never ever in the year that I've been reading this say a single thing about scrumming which is even close to accurate.

I expect no less from a Kiwi apologist. The problem is Kiwis think they know everything about scrummaging but I'll give you the drum: Woodcock is a fucking myth that Kiwis have held on high for so long they've forgotten what a dirty cheat looks like. Baxter has been fucking Woodcock up the arse at scrum time for the last three years at provincial and Test level and its only refs who know shit about scrums who have been protecting Woodcock.

Sounds like Bill Young doesn't it? Yeah that's right the same cheating Aussie who tried to trick his way out of honest scrummaging. Woodcock has done just the same since he came on the scene, and Kiwis sit around tugging each other off while coming up with new ways to praise his "cunning" and "gamesmanship".

The only great prop you've had in the last 5 years is Hayman and he's the reason your scrum wasn't belted from pillar to post. The rest of the time its just Woodcock cheating or the refs giving the ABs a free ride.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I should qualify that with: in the meantime, there are other props out there, better than Woodcock, who probably don't get picked because he does work in the loose. He's still not your best scrummaging loosehead.

And Al Baxter will continue to get ripped off at scrum time unless he goes into witness protection and gets his name and face changed.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
NTA said:
I expect no less from a Kiwi apologist. The problem is Kiwis think they know everything about scrummaging but I'll give you the drum: Woodcock is a fucking myth that Kiwis have held on high for so long they've forgotten what a dirty cheat looks like. Baxter has been fucking Woodcock up the arse at scrum time for the last three years at provincial and Test level and its only refs who know shit about scrums who have been protecting Woodcock.

Sounds like Bill Young doesn't it? Yeah that's right the same cheating Aussie who tried to trick his way out of honest scrummaging. Woodcock has done just the same since he came on the scene, and Kiwis sit around tugging each other off while coming up with new ways to praise his "cunning" and "gamesmanship".

The only great prop you've had in the last 5 years is Hayman and he's the reason your scrum wasn't belted from pillar to post. The rest of the time its just Woodcock cheating or the refs giving the ABs a free ride.

Thanks you for re-enforcing my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.