• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2025

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
lo, shaping up as another Waratahs Preseason Championship
nsfwgraph1.jpg

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
I have always thought that those who didn't have all the natural skills made some of the best coaches

I have a feeling that preseason is going to suck
Seems a common thing. Many of the top NRL coaches have been former players who had to battle for every break. Robinson, Maguire toilers who barely got a go. Bellamy always an undersized Mr fixit for Canberra. In Rugby the likes of Chieka always on the fringe as a player.

Never liked TC but it was solely as an outsider looking at his personality and also being a part of those Sydney Uni sides with 20+ Super players on the books.

Tahs of current need a reset and a kick up the ass. Think he'll bring it and revel in it.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I just want to see them turn up each week, with a cogent plan and work hard for each other

In the end 2025 will be about being consistent and competitive

Reactions: dru

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just want to see them turn up each week, with a cogent plan and work hard for each other

In the end 2025 will be about being consistent and competitive
At least that's building on 2024 - consistent, where we consistently lost

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
As per usual, all Tah supporters will come out of the woodwork for the first few games… and if they don’t win, call for the heads of everyone…. Definitely not fans who support through thick and thin…

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
it has been tough following them Yoda. very.
Unfortunately they have been run by the old boy network and since Cheika, a bunch of dud coaches. Hope McKellar can get some comraderie and culture back there. He has some talent to work with. Let’s see him coach. Always want all Aussie teams to play well. One plus last year that their strip looked great. Hope it stays.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Unfortunately they have been run by the old boy network

Wouldn't this describe just about every Super Rugby team, every club rugby team and pretty much any sporting team around?

Sport is full of people who were once participants moving on to coaching, management and administration whether professionally or on a volunteer basis.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Unfortunately they have been run by the old boy network and since Cheika, a bunch of dud coaches. Hope McKellar can get some comraderie and culture back there. He has some talent to work with. Let’s see him coach. Always want all Aussie teams to play well. One plus last year that their strip looked great. Hope it stays.

It will all about managing expectations, the standard approach for the aus rugby media is to drive up the enthusiasm and expectations and then start trashing he coaching team, with plenty of leaks from units about losing the dressing room etc etc

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Wouldn't this describe just about every Super Rugby team, every club rugby team and pretty much any sporting team around?

Sport is full of people who were once participants moving on to coaching, management and administration whether professionally or on a volunteer basis.
When your'e winning they call it culture.

When sports bring in people with no association everyone screams and shouts that they don't get it.

As long as the people are capable and pulling in the same direction I'm a fan of it.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I think the pejorative term refers to participants who move into coaching/administration on the basis of their involvement but don't have the competence required to actually perform those roles and are generally seen as taking a role another, perhaps less 'involved', person could perform better in.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
It will all about managing expectations, the standard approach for the aus rugby media is to drive up the enthusiasm and expectations and then start trashing he coaching team, with plenty of leaks from units about losing the dressing room etc etc
I understand the drive of positivity and hope in building up the sport. I just hate the negativity band wagon when a team or players are not playing their best. The media and socials are all experts at putting the boot in. Personally I think the Tah supporters are the most fickle. Reds are solid as are the Brumby and Force supporters.

Yoda

Jim Clark (26)
I think the pejorative term refers to participants who move into coaching/administration on the basis of their involvement but don't have the competence required to actually perform those roles and are generally seen as taking a role another, perhaps less 'involved', person could perform better in.
Agree with that Derps 100 percent. Goes the same with commentary jobs.

Strewthcobber

Steve Williams (59)
I reckon what's happened, hopefully changing lately, is the only people who will accept head coaching and admin roles, for the salaries that our teams can afford to pay, are locals and club stalwarts.

We haven't been able to afford competancy or proven experience (although that often means the spiral continues)

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
That said I don't really know if that is the case with the Waratahs at this point. The coaching team at least isnt old boys (and hasn't been, for the most part, in a while). Don't know much and don't really care for the back of house stuff but I thought we had a few new kiwi administrators through the last few seasons.

I think it's just been good old fashion incompetence.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I agree but largely the perception held about the non-rugby background alternative is that they are both more skilled and potentially don't need to be paid as much. I think it's classic grass is greener sort of thinking and that alternative either doesn't exist or isn't as skilled.

I also think we significantly underrate that a key part of any senior role within Rugby Australia (or a Super Rugby side) is to be accepted by the old boy network.

Raelene Castle was probably the best credentialed CEO we've had and she was white-anted by all and sundry throughout her tenure.

Bill Pulver had a more impressive business career than most who have come to the role but was essentially a minion of the Chairperson (Clyne).

Rob Clarke and Andy Marinos were both dominated by McLennan.

I think this is a big thing going for Phil Waugh. He is accepted by that group and the Chair is a peer and former teammate of his so they are on a far more equal footing than that relationship has been in the past.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I agree but largely the perception held about the non-rugby background alternative is that they are both more skilled and potentially don't need to be paid as much. I think it's classic grass is greener sort of thinking and that alternative either doesn't exist or isn't as skilled.

I also think we significantly underrate that a key part of any senior role within Rugby Australia (or a Super Rugby side) is to be accepted by the old boy network.

Raelene Castle was probably the best credentialed CEO we've had and she was white-anted by all and sundry throughout her tenure.

Bill Pulver had a more impressive business career than most who have come to the role but was essentially a minion of the Chairperson (Clyne).

Rob Clarke and Andy Marinos were both dominated by McLennan.

I think this is a big thing going for Phil Waugh. He is accepted by that group and the Chair is a peer and former teammate of his so they are on a far more equal footing than that relationship has been in the past.
While I suppose this is the reality I think this is what people are referring to as being a bit fucked.