• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2021

ShuteFan1

Peter Burge (5)
Swapping in Shute players would change... not much. Which says something in and of itself, but you'd be a bit silly to think that such a move would see any improvement in on-field results.

You are probably right. But if I am the coach I am trying something . As many people have mentioned the teams almost seems to be going backwards

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You are probably right. But if I am the coach I am trying something . As many people have mentioned the teams almost seems to be going backwards

The player budget is the biggest issue.

Clearly they didn't think things would go this badly when they made those decisions heading into the year.

This is the squad they have for 2021. I see little point spending more money for questionable upgrades in the current season. Likewise I think an average player joining the squad now is not going to improve things.

This season is a write-off. Hopefully we somehow manage to win a game so we don't go through the whole season winless.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
This whole discussion of seeking alternative players at the Shute Shield level just emphasises how the balance of the squad has been wrecked over the past several years - not just this season. When the experienced, Wallaby-level players were stripped away for the 2020 and 2021 seasons, there was nothing behind them. Without the successful recruitment from the national U20s squad two years ago, we would be even more destitute. Successful Super teams have a balance of experienced, mid-career players in their squad who can step up to the bench or starting XV when required, and then a few 19-20 year olds who have no expectation of playing a game for a couple of seasons, but are there to develop. We have none of those - the mid-career journeymen have been bought this year, with little experience in the squad, and the 19-20 year-old are trying to learn their trade in the starting XV against Wallaby-level players. That's not right, and it's not the fault of the current coaching team - this is a mess that's taken years, and it will take years to get it right.

Noting also that, in a properly-balanced squad, those developing 19-20 year-olds and journeymen would also be playing for their Shute Shield club most weeks.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
No - that’s not what I’m saying at all. But if you can’t see that, which I think is pretty obvious, there is no point us exchanging views.

PS I’d be greatly surprised if the great majority of the Australian rugby community is offended.

I'd say the great majority of the Australian rugby community doesn't give a flying f**k.

ShuteFan1

Peter Burge (5)
This whole discussion of seeking alternative players at the Shute Shield level just emphasises how the balance of the squad has been wrecked over the past several years - not just this season. When the experienced, Wallaby-level players were stripped away for the 2020 and 2021 seasons, there was nothing behind them. Without the successful recruitment from the national U20s squad two years ago, we would be even more destitute. Successful Super teams have a balance of experienced, mid-career players in their squad who can step up to the bench or starting XV when required, and then a few 19-20 year olds who have no expectation of playing a game for a couple of seasons, but are there to develop. We have none of those - the mid-career journeymen have been bought this year, with little experience in the squad, and the 19-20 year-old are trying to learn their trade in the starting XV against Wallaby-level players. That's not right, and it's not the fault of the current coaching team - this is a mess that's taken years, and it will take years to get it right.

Noting also that, in a properly-balanced squad, those developing 19-20 year-olds and journeymen would also be playing for their Shute Shield club most weeks.

Great post and couldn't agree more .

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
I'd say the great majority of the Australian rugby community doesn't give a flying f**k.

Hence why claims of the Australian Club Championship being a egotistical issue between QLD and NSW which needs to be addressed are ridiculous. Only ones who genuinely care about it are those clubs in Sydney and Brisbane. Why rename it when the majority don’t actually give a fuck

dru

David Wilson (68)
Hence why claims of the Australian Club Championship being a egotistical issue between QLD and NSW which needs to be addressed are ridiculous. Only ones who genuinely care about it are those clubs in Sydney and Brisbane. Why rename it when the majority don’t actually give a fuck

Because the name is wrong?

footy1>31

Charlie Fox (21)
As much as I agree with the general sentiment that its not Penny's fault and he should get a crack with developed Super Rugby talent, if Tahs could get Eddie Jones in the building in whatever role he wanted it's an absolute no brainer. Won't happen bc of the $$ he commands but given the heat on his Eng job would be great story.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
As much as I agree with the general sentiment that its not Penny's fault and he should get a crack with developed Super Rugby talent, if Tahs could get Eddie Jones in the building in whatever role he wanted it's an absolute no brainer. Won't happen bc of the $$ he commands but given the heat on his Eng job would be great story.

Jones? Eddie Jones???? RU serious?

No thanks.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
There was a really interesting interview with Eddie by James Haskell on his podcast, where Eddie was quite frank about the mistakes he made when coaching the Reds back in 2009 (maybe?) - it was really interesting to see how a coach learns and changes through their career.

But for the Tahs 2021 or 2022? No thanks. Penney has a good reputation for developing young players, which is exactly what they need right now.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
Because the name is wrong?

I actually don't think it is, I played John Dent in the mid 00's, and whilst i'm sure its change since then I'm still confident that the two best club teams in Australia come from the Shute Shield and/or QPR.
Happy for the club championship to somehow include a 3 way playoff with a John Dent cup if they front the costs(Easts paid for Gordon to fly up to QLD).

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The player budget is the biggest issue.

Clearly they didn't think things would go this badly when they made those decisions heading into the year.

This is the squad they have for 2021. I see little point spending more money for questionable upgrades in the current season. Likewise I think an average player joining the squad now is not going to improve things.

This season is a write-off. Hopefully we somehow manage to win a game so we don't go through the whole season winless.
The real concern is how many future seasons are going to be write-offs as well. It's going to take time to rebuild given we have, maybe, a handful of Super Rugby quality players when we are supposed to have 25-30.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
I fear for Tahs fans, that the Tahs haven’t even hit the lowest point yet. From the Reds perspective, we had a number of false dawns before they really recovered.