• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2021

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
So no to Hunt last year and we had better release Perese too, you know as Rodda and co would be poor culture and Hunt and perese well you know

I know it sounds a bit harsh... but to me Hunt and Perese made dumbass errors and I'm more inclined to give them a second chance than someone who has calculatingly jumped out of the foxhole and took off when the heat was on everyone. The former were stupid, the latter was a calculated decision of 'me before we'...

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I know it sounds a bit harsh. but to me Hunt and Perese made dumbass errors and I'm more inclined to give them a second chance than someone who has calculatingly jumped out of the foxhole and took off when the heat was on everyone. The former were stupid, the latter was a calculated decision of 'me before we'.

Drug user and Drug dealer better then leave for more money? Okkkkko_O

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Jones is currently injured and has a couple more seasons in Paris.
Jones won’t come back as not really likely to get wallaby gig (good player though) and hence now cashing in on what time has left in rugby.

Skelton I think at some stage may return as has some unfinished business at wallaby level

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think with this particular bloke, he's made it clear "Show me the money'' is the main motivation in selecting his club of choice. Uncle Twiggy has a very fat cheque book... If I was just chasing the cash, the Force is where I'd be heading as well.
By all accounts teams were only allowed to offer him the same amount. He’s chosen Force for opportunity and the program there

dru

David Wilson (68)
Didn't ever highly rate Hockings anyway to be honest. Never saw anything from him to say he was a top class lock. Yes he's big and young with potential, but we have quite a few here in that category already.

No Hocking is not simply big and young with potential. He is also proven at Super level. Exactly the sort of player that the Tahs might actually be able to attract and is likely to provide pay back.

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
Drug user and Drug dealer better then leave for more money? Okkkkko_O

I personally wouldn't have signed either of them to be honest, but then you raised the question of character with Hunt/Perese and Rodda I inferred I would be more inclined to give them a second chance. Plenty of people have made that kind of mistake, learned from it and come back better than before. Rodda is more in the mercenary camp, and that to me is someone who is less likely to give their all for the team and piss off when this next big paycheck is dangled in front of them...

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Recruiting isn't an exact science either right. Some player develop differently in different environments and some people move for opportunity. You never hear of the players that move to Canberra, Melbourne or Perth that don't make it. Due to the volume of players coming out of QLD and NSW the scouts in these states are going miss the mark. There is only a small margin for error and a finite number of contract they can offer.
Not just a recruitment issue as part of the reason here is also failing to leverage benefits of nrc to bring players through which in comparison reds did very well and benefited from.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Hockings would be a fantastic get. I'd avoid Jones except for bargain prices. Despite all my one-eyed Rebelness willing to see Jones as a great player, he was pretty ordinary at the end of the day. Great candidate for Dismal's Airport XV though, good looking fella.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I personally wouldn't have signed either of them to be honest, but then you raised the question of character with Hunt/Perese and Rodda I inferred I would be more inclined to give them a second chance. Plenty of people have made that kind of mistake, learned from it and come back better than before. Rodda is more in the mercenary camp, and that to me is someone who is less likely to give their all for the team and piss off when this next big paycheck is dangled in front of them.

Like many other players who have left for bigger pay cheques. I agree I didn't like the way the 3 left the reds but to say drug dealing is a lower crime than walking out of a contract then I completely disagree.

Well I for one hope that the Tahs sign Hockings

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Only the RA clubs, Force are privately owned.
All accounts state all 3 teams offered the same amount. No idea why. They are privately owned but equally they play within a RA run comp. I wonder if there was stipulations on his return otherwise RA wouldn’t register him.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Between 300 and 400k. Not all exactly the same, someone was closer to 300 and someone closer to 400.

If you are going to join the Tahs, you do it for the 2022 but most likely 23 Super Rugby seasons as they
- have said they are happy to spend the money for 2022 and onwards
- will be in the running to bring back other PONI players who are WC interested (many available for 2023 including Rodda)
- may have a change in coaching staff

If I was thinking about the Waratahs, I wouldn't be rushing to sign now when they are at rock bottom. I would be waiting to see if there was any light at the end of that tunnel first and see how the program/list were shaping up in the lead up to World Cup (I need to be in the best program to show my wares) before I hitched my wagon to that horse.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Didn't ever highly rate Hockings anyway to be honest. Never saw anything from him to say he was a top class lock. Yes he's big and young with potential, but we have quite a few here in that category already.
He’s better than anyone on your books at the moment by a fair margin.

With regards to Rodda everything I’ve read and heard, including some people with connections to the Reds, was that Rodda’s move had nothing to do with money. I believe even at the time he was willing to take a pay cut and stay in Australia. It was all about the captaincy. Not sure though whether that is better or worse.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
He’s better than anyone on your books at the moment by a fair margin.

With regards to Rodda everything I’ve read and heard, including some people with connections to the Refs, was that Rodda’s move had nothing to do with money. I believe even at the time he was willing to take a pay cut and stay in Australia. It was all about the captaincy. Not sure though whether that is better or worse.
With you there TSR .

What’s worse?

Walking out on a team because you were asked to take the same pay cut the rest of the team took , or walking out on a team because they didn’t make you captain?

Either way can see why Thorn won’t have him back .

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
but to say drug dealing is a lower crime than walking out of a contract then I completely disagree.

Wow.... you really are trying hard to misinterpret what I'm saying.... if you actually understood it at all.

I'll make it simpler for you for you to understand my point. I did not rate their actions as either better or worse, as Hunt/Perese are actual crimes whilst in Rodda's case it is purely behavioural in a selfish calculated way.

The former I rate as stupid and in that case potentially forgivable/redeemable with lessons learnt.

The latter I rate as a calculated move in which he put himself before the team.

You can think what you want but I know who I wouldvé been keener to lace the boots up with...

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Wow.. you really are trying hard to misinterpret what I'm saying.. if you actually understood it at all.

I'll make it simpler for you for you to understand my point. I did not rate their actions as either better or worse, as Hunt/Perese are actual crimes whilst in Rodda's case it is purely behavioural in a selfish calculated way.

The former I rate as stupid and in that case potentially forgivable/redeemable with lessons learnt.

The latter I rate as a calculated move in which he put himself before the team.

You can think what you want but I know who I wouldvé been keener to lace the boots up with.

And I know I would prefer a locking combo of Hockings and Rodda over Caird and Whetton