• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2021

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
This is the professional era, we are not playing amateurs any more. It's their job, just like yours.

Answer me truly. If your boss walks into your office tomorrow and says "OK, the only way I'm keeping you on is if you take a 50% pay cut and you can forget about redundancy despite your years of service", are you really going to say "OK boss, anything you say"? Or are you one of those business owners who think this is a perfectly honest and reasonable thing to do?
I did that for 9 months last year. Took a 30% reduction and forgo bonuses. I knew the reality of the situation financially and how it was the only way to make sure everyone (well most people) were retained.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
If everyone in the country was copping the same or similar, due to a global pandemic, and it was a short term solution to a short term problem. Yes. Yes i would.

No i am not a business owner. Just because it's my job doesn't mean im going to suddenly become a self-serving fluffybunny.

And lets add a little more perspective, of which you seem interested in removing. This wasn't a bloke agreeing to go below the bread-line. He would still have been on many times the average national income.
Pretty sure Rodda was the highest paid Reds player, the pay cut was a percentage of full pay . He still would have been getting more than what some of his team mates started with before the pay cut.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's not the same as a regular workplace Hawko, though. Yes we're in the professional era but we are still playing rugby and things like loyalty are important. The Wallaby jersey is something our players are supposed to aspire to, and representing the Wallabies has value beyond the paycheck you get at the end of the day.

Rodda walked out, but as I said above it was the way he did it. He hid behind his manager, ducked his team-mates and fans, and walked out on the Reds and Wallabies when both really needed him to stay.

Now that may be defensible from an economic perspective, as you state, and clearly he was within his rights to do it. But we are certainly entitled to criticise him for that decision, and not be willing to welcome him back with open arms to the Wallabies.

Its not justifiable from an economic perspective at all. In the event of a global crisis the first thing to go in the bin is discretionary spending.

And he couldn't even properly do his job. His job is to entertain us, a large part of which is performing in front of a live audience.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Its not justifiable from an economic perspective at all. In the event of a global crisis the first thing to go in the bin is discretionary spending.

He was on a wage, he got offered a better wage, so he took that. Purely through that lens what he did is defensible IMO.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
Not sure how the total number of games played last year panned out compared to a normal season, but at the time of the pay cut they weren't actually playing were they? So while he would have been getting less, he was doing less too

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
He was on a wage, he got offered a better wage, so he took that. Purely through that lens what he did is defensible IMO.

Agreed. Perhaps Reds fans have a right to be angry at the way he pulled out, and I understand the emotional aspect of sport, but Rodda as an employee has no responsibility to be loyal to his employer if another is offering him far more money for his services.

Considering the short, unstable nature of of a Rugby players career, combined with the fact it could end at any time via an unlucky injury, Rodda would have been stupid not to take the offer on the table.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
So tahs looking to spend up on 2022

I reckon for shopping list would go Skelton, cfs (centre /wing coverage), kerevi, Hanigan, Arnold (one of them)

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Skelton would be great for the Tahs , but does anyone know if coming home is on his radar?

He seems to be thriving OS. It would be nice to see our lock stocks upgraded come Wallaby selection time , just have to wonder if that something Will himself actually wants .

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Skelton would be great for the Tahs , but does anyone know if coming home is on his radar?

He seems to be thriving OS. It would be nice to see our lock stocks upgraded come Wallaby selection time , just have to wonder if that something Will himself actually wants .
Skelton has never really expressed a desire to come home like the rest of them have.I’d try and get Swain, Frost, Hockings etc instead of burning money on one of the OS players.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Skelton has never really expressed a desire to come home like the rest of them have.I’d try and get Swain, Frost, Hockings etc instead of burning money on one of the OS players.
Hockings would be one I would agree should be high on the list - I think Skelton would show interest at some stage to test what could do at international level but yes that could still be a few seasons away - actually TN would be good too..

Pass it to Dunning!

Bob Loudon (25)
All respect to Swain, Frost and Hockings, but I think they only get the Tahs to losing by ten rather than losing by 30. We need some top-tier players. Maybe Frost has that potential, but probably not by next year. At present all three of those are bench options for the other Super Rugby teams. They're all better than what the Tahs have, but really, they need to splash on some big name players.