• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2021

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There’s options out there. Don’t all have to be big names.

Caleb Timu a big metre eating No 8
Duncan Pai’aua a crafty, experienced inside back
Sam Talakai one of the strongest Aussie THPs going around.
Ben Meehan one of the form 9s in the UK.

Harry Hockings absolutely I’d go for big time but I’d throw the bank at Adam Coleman.

Of course they’d have to want to come back.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
I don't see what problem you could have with Penney? performances improved over the course of last season and then his team was gutted.

On what basis are you judging him?
Selections, retention, game plan. A lot of the young blokes seem to be regressing and there doesn't seem to be a lot of spirit in the camp

Alex Ross (28)
Selections, retention, game plan. A lot of the young blokes seem to be regressing and there doesn't seem to be a lot of spirit in the camp

Cut Penney some slack. The shit he has to deal with every day at the office and all he is trying to do is get the best out of his charges. As for retention. Penney wanted Hunt and Rapp wouldn’t allow it. Imagine how much wiser the backline would be with Hunt alongside Harrison. Things are being tried in the front row (this week) for example. Locks are still wet noodles, but I think everyone expected a lot more from Whetton. He was not that far off the pace in NZ and had started looking strong. It is important that we keep players like Tizzano, Bell, Horton, Harris, Douglas, etc. retention would not have been nearly as hard for the others if he didn’t have one hand tied behind his back through the errors of the suits and previous coaches.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
Cut Penney some slack. The shit he has to deal with every day at the office and all he is trying to do is get the best out of his charges. As for retention. Penney wanted Hunt and Rapp wouldn’t allow it. Imagine how much wiser the backline would be with Hunt alongside Harrison. Things are being tried in the front row (this week) for example. Locks are still wet noodles, but I think everyone expected a lot more from Whetton. He was not that far off the pace in NZ and had started looking strong. It is important that we keep players like Tizzano, Bell, Horton, Harris, Douglas, etc. retention would not have been nearly as hard for the others if he didn’t have one hand tied behind his back through the errors of the suits and previous coaches.
Yes. I can see that the retention wasn't all him, but selections to me are a bit strange. You mention Douglas, is he injured? I've been waiting to see his name in the team sheets. Maddocks won't stay long if he's left on the wing, and besides, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) is an out and out finishedrand wasted at 15. Why is Newsome even in the team, let alone captain? Bell is paying the price for being brought in too early IMO. He should have had a few years behind Robbo until his body develops. I really don't see what Penney brings to the table, but that might just be me

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Yes. I can see that the retention wasn't all him, but selections to me are a bit strange. You mention Douglas, is he injured? I've been waiting to see his name in the team sheets. Maddocks won't stay long if he's left on the wing, and besides, Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) is an out and out finished and wasted at 15. Why is Newsome even in the team, let alone captain? Bell is paying the price for being brought in too early IMO. He should have had a few years behind Robbo until his body develops. I really don't see what Penney brings to the table, but that might just be me

Douglas played for the Tahs A last week

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Then why should Bell be any different? Other rookie props, no matter how promising, have to play 10 minutes off the bench for a while before getting a start. As Silverado says he’d have been better served developing his game and body playing off the bench. A colts scrum is a world away from a Super Rugby scrum.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Nothing wrong with picking Bell when he was 19. He was the best player in the state in his position. Penny thought he was good enough, Rennie thought he was good enough.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
He
Nothing wrong with picking Bell when he was 19. He was the best player in the state in his position. Penny thought he was good enough, Rennie thought he was good enough.
Played off the bench behind Robertson last year. He's been out for several games because of injury, which happens to a lot of young players when their body's it ready. He's another one that will be good in time, but building your front row around a 19 year old was a bit premature. We let Robbo go in his prime and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was pushed to THP just when he was coming on as a LHP

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
He
Played off the bench behind Robertson last year. He's been out for several games because of injury, which happens to a lot of young players when their body's it ready. He's another one that will be good in time, but building your front row around a 19 year old was a bit premature. We let Robbo go in his prime and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) was pushed to THP just when he was coming on as a LHP
Catch is if you keep HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) at LH and Robertson stays, then I’m 99% sure Bell is playing for the Brums, Rebels, etc. this week.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
If you blokes think changing coaches is going to fix anything you are smoking the crackrock.

Just look at the squad for two seconds. Outside a couple of positions it's a colts team. I've only paid vague attention to the press but it seems like there is official recognition from HQ that they hedged on the squad for this season and it's backfired massively.

Not Penney's fault and replacing him won't fix it, even if the replacement coach was twice as good as Penney.