• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2021

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
The early 2000s had Walla Rugby. I was heavily involved and it was a good concept. The ARU gave some gear and coach the coaches support, but it was run by parents/volunteers, so It really only cost some training kit and free tickets. In my country town (central West) it was on Friday nights so didn't clash with league (who most of the kids played anyway) and there were a lot of converts and the parents had a few bevvies if they weren't helping. was mostly drills and learning the skills of the game, but there was also Gala days on Sundays around the region and if you were lucky you got to play at half time of a test match. Within a few years we had an u13's 15"s and 17's playing in a proper comp. It's gone now, and so have those junior teams

That sort of initiative could be revived as part of such a plan. Particularly at the club level. Have DO operating out of the hubs make initial contact featuring several visits and setting up the pathway to funnel any interested kids to clubs running something similar to the Walla Rugby program of the early 2000s.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
That sort of initiative could be revived as part of such a plan. Particularly at the club level. Have DO operating out of the hubs make initial contact featuring several visits and setting up the pathway to funnel any interested kids to clubs running something similar to the Walla Rugby program of the early 2000s.
Spot on. It was aligned to clubs and had input from current and past players eager to help. It wouldn't cost much to resurrect. Id love to see it reinstigated, particularly in Western Sydney. We need to do something to tap into this area

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
Anything to give kids an extra option to play. I know 7s is kind of 20/20 to test cricket, where some of the skills aren’t really transferable to 15s. But it’s in the olympics which might be an easier sell. 10s is obviously a better long term option as it has more of a rugby structure and can move the 15s game forward.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Spot on. It was aligned to clubs and had input from current and past players eager to help. It wouldn't cost much to resurrect. Id love to see it reinstigated, particularly in Western Sydney. We need to do something to tap into this area

Certainly would help and should be seriously looked at. But it will need significant efforts to engage with kids beyond just advertising it locally. We're going to have to actually go out to places like schools to get those kids interested and coming out. We've been out of place of prominence for so long that we need to be very proactive.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The only issue I have with 7s is that it doesn't really translate well to the basic structures of the broader 15 man game. Which is why I'd prefer 10s as it's still plenty open but has more focus on scrums etc. Which are necessary in terms of developing tight 5 play. It would also be generally more inclusive.

Tens would be good - us fat kids need somewhere to go! Bloody 7s :(

I'm trying to get Womens Tens going to Subbies so that more of the ladies can get involved without feeling like there is no position for them.

Reactions: dru

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I know, but clearly we've got the budget to afford world class locks and a franchise guy like Koro.

I love Marika, but the money should be poured into the forward pack, maybe then some experienced heads in the inside backs, then trying to retain Maddocks, and only then to more wingers.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I love Marika, but the money should be poured into the forward pack, maybe then some experienced heads in the inside backs, then trying to retain Maddocks, and only then to more wingers.

He's more than just a winger though, I'd argue he's the best player in Australia at the moment.

But according to twitter we can't compete with the $$$ he's being offered from overseas so it ain't going to happen.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Well there are a few players off contract at the Tahs too like Tepai who is on big coin. The problem isn't always who we can afford but with the way things have been going who would come to the Tahs?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If going for a winger can we please have Naiyaravoro back.
A winger???
You are going to need to start a little closer to the action. What good is a winger that never sees the pill?
Need tight five players with experience/leadership qualities.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
A winger???
You are going to need to start a little closer to the action. What good is a winger that never sees the pill?
Need tight five players with experience/leadership qualities.

I completely agree, just responding to the suggestion we chase Marika. I'd rather bring someone one else 'home' from europe

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It was just a thought. Would Marika be on top of my list? No. But he'd be on there somewhere.

We need a lock, we need a hooker, we need a number 8. But we also need a strike weapon in the backline, which we've lacked since we lost Taqele and Folau.

Reactions: TSR

Jimmyjam

Watty Friend (18)
This was my shopping list from a few weeks ago, pretty much fills all the holes, also knowing there may be even more space available if they don't resign Moroa and Maddocks bails out...

Some serious, big dollar recruiting needs to start for next season. This would be my shopping list. All currently o/s and should all be playing here

Izaak Rodda
Another Lock.
Tolu Latu
Another TH prop so we can have Bell and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) at loosehead.
Samu Kerevi
Taqele Naiyarovoro

Adding this lot would pretty much solve all the weak spots and give the squad the physical presence they are desperately short of. Back row are strong, Halves are strong, just need a couple of bigger frames in the backs and forwards.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
This was my shopping list from a few weeks ago, pretty much fills all the holes, also knowing there may be even more space available if they don't resign Moroa and Maddocks bails out.

Some serious, big dollar recruiting needs to start for next season. This would be my shopping list. All currently o/s and should all be playing here

Izaak Rodda
Another Lock.
Tolu Latu
Another TH prop so we can have Bell and HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) at loosehead.
Samu Kerevi
Taqele Naiyarovoro

Adding this lot would pretty much solve all the weak spots and give the squad the physical presence they are desperately short of. Back row are strong, Halves are strong, just need a couple of bigger frames in the backs and forwards.

How long is LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) on contract for up north? Would be good to get him back in Sydney.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Caird is a decent TH Lock

Rodda would fill a major hole

8? Will Harris should be a good unit, but so far injury has defeated him

Backs? They showed enough last year to demonstrate with a decent platform there is a lot of talent and good options