• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2021

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
it’s that they are kiwis and coaching Australian teams requires a unique coaching style, different to what NZ teams need. Before anyone asks he said that Rennie is attuned to this.
See I don’t get this. NZers can coach all over the world and be successful (Europe/ Japan) but for some reason Australians are just different and must be coached by Aussies. Despite the fact that 50% of players in the Shute Shield/ professional franchises aren’t necessarily born and bred Aussies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
See I don’t get this. NZers can coach all over the world and be successful (Europe/ Japan) but for some reason Australians are just different and must be coached by Aussies. Despite the fact that 50% of players in the Shute Shield/ professional franchises aren’t necessarily born and bred Aussies.
Yeh I don’t buy it. Good coaches can adapt to what is needed. I don’t get the criticism of penny personally as tahs squad just does not have same sparkling of quality compared to other oz super sides. I do wonder how much tight purse strings stopped penny getting players he wanted.

At least with one of the weakest super rugby squads talent wise we are seeing improvement over each game for the tahs. Be crazy to cut Penny at this point, especially if accept one of the weakest squads talent wise but seen improvement over 3 games played so far.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
It’s impossible to judge a coach if he’s forced to operate on a budget 20% lower than everyone else coming off the back of significant legacy issues from the previous coaching regime.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
I was going to say Gibson, Hore and Rapp are the names who should be getting blamed for the current mess. But then I can’t help but come back to the Chairman who presided over all those positions, and think shit, maybe the chairman should take blame for the mess of his organisation.

If Penny is sacked, then Roger Davis should resign himself as well.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don’t think anyone disagrees with that but it doesn’t really answer the question.

incidentally I was talking to an ex Waratah and Wallaby last night and had a fairly lengthy discussion about the Waratahs issues overall, but with regards to the coaching specifically, the view is that Penney and Gibson before him aren’t necessarily poor coaches, it’s that they are kiwis and coaching Australian teams requires a unique coaching style, different to what NZ teams need. Before anyone asks he said that Rennie is attuned to this.
An interesting theory.
Does it all boil down to no matter how skilled, competent, and clever the NZ coach is, not being Australian leaves all emotional exhortations for success as just mere words?

KOB1987

John Eales (66)

Where did I say he said they must be coached by an Aussie? What he was saying is that NZ coaches at this level assume a certain skill level, which the current generation of Australian players don’t have. As an example he said he could only kick with one foot, and this needed to be factored into the game plan.

Cancelled Account

Desmond Connor (43)
I was going to say Gibson, Hore and Rapp are the names who should be getting blamed for the current mess. But then I can’t help but come back to the Chairman who presided over all those positions, and think shit, maybe the chairman should take blame for the mess of his organisation.

If Penny is sacked, then Roger Davis should resign himself as well.
Long overdue. It is reported that Davis will stand down next month at the AGM.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The Australian:

Roger Davis had planned to step down as chairman of the NSW Rugby Union, but now has indicated the crisis surrounding Rob Penney could induce him to seek re-election

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
It wouldn’t be fair for Penney to get sacked for a roster he inherited. At this stage, as long as I see progression week to week, I’ll be happy.
If I have one criticism, in my opinion he needs to tighten up our game; simplify our tactics and get us moving forward before earning the right to “play what’s in front of you”.
Personally I think some Kiwi coaches will work, others won’t. When Deans came over, I thought he’d be great. But he didn’t have the production line of talent as the Crusaders available here, which brings competition for spots and builds depth. On the other hand Rennie, turned an underperforming Chiefs into Super Rugby champs.

eastman

Colin Windon (37)
Where did I say he said they must be coached by an Aussie? What he was saying is that NZ coaches at this level assume a certain skill level, which the current generation of Australian players don’t have. As an example he said he could only kick with one foot, and this needed to be factored into the game plan.

Apologies - I conflated this with a parochial/ Alan Jones-style opinion which unfortunately seems to be too common in our game!

Agree that there is generally a skills deficiency between Aus and NZ teams but again any good coach would be able to adapt and prioritise skills development at training. Regardless most of the NZ coaches who have come over here have generally spent time in Europe, and I honestly can't see the players over there being more skilful than our own.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The Australian:

Roger Davis had planned to step down as chairman of the NSW Rugby Union, but now has indicated the crisis surrounding Rob Penney could induce him to seek re-election
Oldest play in the book. Clyne tried it also.

Mention "stepping down" at some future date to mollify the baying hounds during the (incompetence-induced) crisis.

Then use that same crisis to become the "indispensable" last man left standing to steer the ship.

Davis needs to be forced to move on ASAP.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Personally I think some Kiwi coaches will work, others won’t. When Deans came over, I thought he’d be great. But he didn’t have the production line of talent as the Crusaders available here

Crusaders frequently take unfancied players and make them good because they're working through defined, fairly narrow channels in Canterbury. Their talent identification systems are great but their development systems are better.

Deans was never going to do that as Wallaby coach. His job was to get the best and hammer them into a functioning unit - but when the pathways are so utterly broken you can't do that.

Crusaders and Brumbies share similarities: success comes from working with a fairly narrow system, which also allows you to make your own rules without excessive political interference.

Waratahs can't claim the same.

I feel like the Brumbies and Reds are the Moneyball guys, while the Waratahs are the old farts talking about how good an eye a player has or how he's got a great build.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Australian:

Oh fuck I found that article and check this out:

"He acknowledged his original plan had been to stand down. “Well, I was. But I don’t want to link it (my leaving) to this (crisis). And the problems don’t go away. My goal obviously was to have a really good year on the field and off the field. That would have been a nice way to say goodbye.”

It isn't about you, mate ...

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Sydney does have a 2nd side, they play 3 hours south & for 25 years shown how to do it on a budget & win ;)

giphy.gif