• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2021

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What's going on with Sam Wykes? We signed him but he hasn't played, and it's not like our other second row options have done anything to justify their selection. Is he injured?
Bloody good point but noted post below saying injured - wykes maybe a journeyman but to me always been solid so pls yes let’s see him play as agree current second row options not set world on fire.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
To sum up where nsw pro rugby and tahs are at with personal experience...

As a sydney based rugbynuttter I support all pro rugby (tragic nrc supporter and tahs supporter) but it is more my push then any pull as a) use to go to lot of Sydney teams nrc games but felt let down by lack of nswru support for nrc till too late they realised important and go to tahs games and drag mates but gees hard when you get crap games because of poor nswru decisions (retaining last coach for too long - crap development pathways - see nrc comments etc) and amongst a very small crowd.

My point is I am rusted on whose push has been dented but definitely note continued lack of pull to get me to games which I hold nswru accountable for.

I say this with hope for change as nsw as biggest rugby state we need solid pathways to tahs and strong pro team(s) representing us. I say teams as despite irony of complaint of low current support for tahs is we need more regional based teams (ie team to represent western Sydney as well as tahs representing largely north shore and eastern suburbs) as without doubt I think part of the problem is people not identifying tahs as representing them as Sydney very region proachial in support of their footy then city based which is why league and afl been more successful tapping into this.

Biggest mistake (of many) made under Hore was rejecting privately funded western Sydney Grr team imo as failed to understand the regional supporter dynamics of Sydney football fans. They (nswru)need to resolve this.

Alex Ross (28)
NSWRU finally got the model right with the NRC and the NRC dies. Too many Friends of Sydney uni in high places...

As far as getting into GRR. Not so convinced they did the wrong thing there. They said they wouldn’t be ready to do it properly and it was rushed. Sure enough the whole GRR wasn’t ready. Not to say a Western Sydney team one day isn’t a bad idea (if GRR is even a thing anymore). But when they asked for a Western Sydney proposal it wasn’t the right time.

Bandar

Bob Loudon (25)
As far as getting into GRR. Not so convinced they did the wrong thing there. They said they wouldn’t be ready to do it properly and it was rushed. Sure enough the whole GRR wasn’t ready. Not to say a Western Sydney team one day isn’t a bad idea (if GRR is even a thing anymore). But when they asked for a Western Sydney proposal it wasn’t the right time.
They had someone willing to fund it all and turned him down - he now own 2 MLR teams full of Aussie talent the Tahs could really use now.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
NSWRU finally got the model right with the NRC and the NRC dies. Too many Friends of Sydney uni in high places.

I respect your post but to me you don’t get many chances for private investors to invest in rugby and let alone western Sydney which has been for a long time identified as high priority for growth but lacking any strategy execution by RA and NSWRU so don’t buy the not ready as nswru financially on its knees and financially challenged so obvious hindsight is rejecting outside private investment in known opportunity area for growth failed to tap into (western Sydney) is massive fail.

No let’s be clear not taking up outside investors prepared to invest in team in western Sydney was massive miss as you don’t think twiggy would also be supporting western Sydney team to still be part of the equation as well.. of course not

Nswru has made really poor decisions over the last 8 years which is why we are where we are..

Alex Ross (28)
Was an investor lined up to put money in. From what I read Twiggy was not putting in a cent to any western Sydney team. Who was going to fund it?

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
They had someone willing to fund it all and turned him down - he now own 2 MLR teams full of Aussie talent the Tahs could really use now.

Forget the talent. It's the millions of dollars in development that he's about to spend on building the Rugby scene and pathways in Austin and LA. Western Sydney has been utterly neglected for far too long and that kind of spend could have gone a long way.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Forget the talent. It's the millions of dollars in development that he's about to spend on building the Rugby scene and pathways in Austin and LA. Western Sydney has been utterly neglected for far too long and that kind of spend could have gone a long way.

Nah mate we don't need that here.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Nah mate we don't need that here.

I'm not so sure, Derpus. There may well be a real opportunity for Australian rugby for a second Sydney team. And competition might actually get the best out of Waratahs Ltd.God knows they are not putting their best foot forward at the moment.

What is not needed is another team oh the coast, which possibly some of the SRU lobby would like. That shit between SRU and NSWRU they need to sort out themselves.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm not so sure, Derpus. There may well be a real opportunity for Australian rugby for a second Sydney team. And competition might actually get the best out of Waratahs Ltd.God knows they are not putting their best foot forward at the moment.

What is not needed is another team oh the coast, which possibly some of the SRU lobby would like. That shit between SRU and NSWRU they need to sort out themselves.

It was sarcasm. Terrible terrible sarcasm.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Was an investor lined up to put money in. From what I read Twiggy was not putting in a cent to any western Sydney team. Who was going to fund it?
Yeh was private investor but as grr team it would have meant if got up would be supported by twiggy (support as major power broker not money here)

Members Section

John Thornett (49)

Sydney does have a 2nd side, they play 3 hours south & for 25 years shown how to do it on a budget & win ;)

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

Which is why they won't be the ones to ever do it.

Though, having a team based out of the region isn't necessarily the key factor in developing the overall game. The Waratahs could be well supported in theory without having to be based in the west if they actually invested in and engaged with the community beyond the odd photo op. And if they did this then I'd be fine with a theoretical 2nd Sydney based squad being based in the northern half of the city.

If they Tahs were to look to actually develop a strategy to engage with schools in the western half setting up school based 'clubs' or something similar and competitions and then set up academy hubs in and around places like Campbelltown/Camden, Liverpool, Blacktown, Penrith, Parramatta etc. then they'd see at least as much growth and interest as a team based in the region and playing out of Bankwest.

It's actually how Adam Gilchrist (who was the private investor interested in placing a GRR team in Western Sydney) orgs. are planning on doing in both LA and Austin. The ops. are based in El Segundo. They are playing out of the Coliseum but will be setting up regional hubs across the LA and surrounds to coordinate and engage with the existing and propagate not only their brand but the game within those communities.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
NSWRU finally got the model right with the NRC and the NRC dies. Too many Friends of Sydney uni in high places.

To me when an investor comes forward willing to invest in a western Sydney team you don’t knock it back as never too early when it is outside investor who then was lost as when turned down pursued other opportunities

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Not Whittaker

I don’t think anyone disagrees with that but it doesn’t really answer the question.

incidentally I was talking to an ex Waratah and Wallaby last night and had a fairly lengthy discussion about the Waratahs issues overall, but with regards to the coaching specifically, the view is that Penney and Gibson before him aren’t necessarily poor coaches, it’s that they are kiwis and coaching Australian teams requires a unique coaching style, different to what NZ teams need. Before anyone asks he said that Rennie is attuned to this.