• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2021

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I'm not sure why you refuse to accept that these are all functions of the same issue. Money.

It seems pretty clear that the calibre of player we can afford with any experience are absolute journeymen.

We literally seem to be outside the budget of signing any player who can get a contract elsewhere.

How did we actually end up so poor? it was only 6 years ago that we had half the Wallabies squad and had just won a Super Rugby title in-front of a packed stadium.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm not sure why you refuse to accept that these are all functions of the same issue. Money.

It seems pretty clear that the calibre of player we can afford with any experience are absolute journeymen.

We literally seem to be outside the budget of signing any player who can get a contract elsewhere.

You mean like last year??

Simmons, Hanigan, Beale, Hooper, Hunt to name a few played last year annnnnd nothing. All wallabies.

Maddocks, Faulkner, Holloway, Abel a few more and still nothing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You mean like last year??

Simmons, Hanigan, Beale, Hooper, Hunt to name a few played last year annnnnd nothing. All wallabies.

Maddocks, Faulkner, Holloway, Abel a few more and still nothing.

The expenditure has clearly been reduced massively this year following COVID. Last year they let Beale leave early to save money too.

No one looked at the Tahs last year and thought we had the best squad of the Australian teams or even close to it.

Every team has a bunch of Wallabies.

Clearly we were more competitive last year. We won 4 of our 8 Super Rugby AU games.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Like whom? Give us some names that would have accepted their bargain basement prices. I've never liked Wykes but he has been playing pro rugby for 13 years and fell into their lap with him moving back to Australia due to COVID.

Smith brothers for experienced props. Not on a fortune to go to America. Around to help teach our young props.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
The expenditure has clearly been reduced massively this year following COVID. Last year they let Beale leave early to save money too.

No one looked at the Tahs last year and thought we had the best squad of the Australian teams or even close to it.

Every team has a bunch of Wallabies.

Clearly we were more competitive last year. We won 4 of our 8 Super Rugby AU games.

And Super rugby?? One win.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
There is any number of reasons why the Smith twins left. I'm certain it isn't because the Reds didn't want to keep them.

One was playing for the rebels.

But the Tahs bought a drug dealer so yeah problems but they still bought him with Penney saying he made a mistake.

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Money is an issue absolutely but a crap game plan and keeping a crap attack coach is on Penney.

Even when the Force were down a player the Tahs players barely looked like scoring a try.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
You cant really pin it on Penney. He has not been great but neither have the last two coaches in regard to leaving the side in decent shape.
It’s more likely the lack of good forward planning within the administration. The money.....meh. That also has to do with sound management and planning. They could find that million if they thought it would make a big difference, which it would. What happens now is that you lose a great deal of support, financial and otherwise, over the next period due to poor performance on the paddock. Swings and roundabouts.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Money is an issue absolutely but a crap game plan and keeping a crap attack coach is on Penney.

Even when the Force were down a player the Tahs players barely looked like scoring a try.

I kind of get your Penney hate, but personally I think the jury is out, a lot of the issues are beyond his control and in any case and he is never going to gat a fair hearing with this lot of cattle. But out of curiosity, even if you are right and its 100% Penney, who should be coaching the Waratahs?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wasn't it reported just last week that Penney and Rapp were at odds with recruitment, for eg. Penney wanted Hunt to stay but Rapp didn't so he was let go?

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
I kind of get your Penney hate, but personally I think the jury is out, a lot of the issues are beyond his control and in any case and he is never going to gat a fair hearing with this lot of cattle. But out of curiosity, even if you are right and its 100% Penney, who should be coaching the Waratahs?

Not Whittaker

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
if its any consolation the Waratahs A side just smacked the Brumby Runners 47-19.

And no I don't have team lists, try scorers or any further detail!

From the Tahs facebook I could see tane, Alefosio, Sam Wykes, Wyke's hair, Nathan Russel, Mitch short to name a few

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Ruan was picked up when Fotuaika was suspended. There was talk about a visa issue for the USA.

But if the Reds saw no use for him they wouldn't have brought him back again. Hence you asked for players with experience that the Tahs could have signed not costing a fortune and I have named two.

Reactions: dru