• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I assume he last played union at Suva Grammar - where I doubt he was winger.
Hard position to learn at S15 level, IMO, as the Reds showed on their left side last week!
Totally agree ILTW - put him on some incentive and tell him to go play SS: if he carves it up pay the incentive and breing him in.
Totally the wrong message and I bet the Tigers were glad to be free of the continuing payments.

So when do we see him at Coogee Oval?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
And yet no action at all against Phipps for calling an AR a f*****g idiot?

Broadcast into thousands of loungerooms - or at least it made it into mine.
Exactly, this is my issue with all this. They hammer one person (fair enough, he has brought it on himself) but blithely ignore at least 2 other instances which clearly breach those guidelines.
Just so inconsistent. It's either a heinous offence, or it's not.
As I said earlier, I doubt he'll make late 2015 without Cheiking Out.
(That's mine, by the way. :) )

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Exactly, this is my issue with all this. They hammer one person (fair enough, he has brought it on himself) but blithely ignore at least 2 other instances which clearly breach those guidelines.

My guess is that the Phipps incident wasn't reported, the Cheika one was.

Mortal Wombat

Allen Oxlade (6)
The cynic in me whispers that Cheika's problem is that he doesn't have an entity with the power of the players union on his side.

...the white hat replies that a coach isn't out on the field running into people , and so he's not protected by any unspoken "heat of the moment" type clauses.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

It has to be worse because the officials are actually running the game. If the players think they can get away with it the game will become a free for all.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
My guess is that the Phipps incident wasn't reported, the Cheika one was.

Possibly not, but why not?

I the AR didn't hear it (unlikely), then the ref certainly did because he spoke to Phipps. I heard it, many people on the thread heard it, but apparently not one person in authority heard anything? Hard to believe I'm afraid.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
meh, nice pass, but incapable of putting his body on the line

The game plan when he is on the field is run at him, he will jump out of the way and whinge at his forwards to protect him

I watched the replay of the Rats schooling the Camperdown Corporation last night. It reminded me again of Josh Holmes' biggest weakness, which is, as you say Fatty, his total dislike of the physical aspect of the game. He is pretty big, maybe that is his problem, perhaps he grew up being a big half-back for his age, and that allowed him to avoid getting smashed around as a boy.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
anyone seen this bloke play?
NSW Waratahs have recruited a 120 kilo winger from the Wests Tigers who, besides having the speed and power required to score Jonah Lomu-like tries, was blessed with the ice-cool nerves and safe hands needed to deliver a baby.
Imposing 23-year-old Fijian-born Taqele Naiyaravoro, who stands 190cm tall and was linked to Cronulla and Canberra before he accepted the Waratah's offer, was recruited by the Wests Tigers from New Zealand two years ago where he played union after a Kiwi talent scout spotted him starring for his school team in Suva.
Naiyaravoro, who had terrorised his opponents in the NRL's second-tier NSW Cup competition, faced fierce competition for a spot on the Wests Tigers wing behind Pat Richards, David Nofoaluma and Marika Koroibete. The club gave him an immediate release on Wednesday to try to break into the Super 15 – a challenge Naiyaravoro will start when he turns up to his first training session on Thursday.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/waratahs-sign-120kg-wrecking-ball-taqele-naiyaravoro-20140430-zr1yf.html#ixzz30PqaQICu

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I watched the replay of the Rats schooling the Camperdown Corporation last night. It reminded me again of Josh Holmes' biggest weakness, which is, as you say Fatty, his total dislike of the physical aspect of the game. He is pretty big, maybe that is his problem, perhaps he grew up being a big half-back for his age, and that allowed him to avoid getting smashed around as a boy.
Schooled 'em by a whole point. ;)
Was a good win by the Rats.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Schooled 'em by a whole point. ;)
Was a good win by the Rats.

If the competition was fair dinkum, you rich bullies would give up twenty points start to the top half of the competition, and forty to the lower half.

The Rats really beat you by twenty-one points, by any rational measure.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The blokes playing back three for the Rats and Uni must be shaking their fucking heads.
What about the other League converts,that Cheika only gave Gen Blue starts and no contract,they must be spewing!
They thought they had jumped the que,then this prick comes along.
How are they going to get a gig,if Cheika keeps looking for other discards in Mungo?
Or compares their form with SS players that seemingly outperform them with ease?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Where is this queue?

It's certainly a strange signing but no one knows how much it is costing (I'm guessing very little) and it is only reportedly for the rest of this season.

Are there really that many Shute Shield players that would jump at the chance to get paid a modest salary for the rest of the year with the Waratahs? Presumably most people in that position would need to quit their job to take up an offer that may only last a couple of months.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The Que? it's the Shute Shield,where Cheika should be sourcing all his new recruits sans rock stars like Izzie & Potgeiter.
There are stacks of players that would sell their soul for an opportunity,and a modest contract.
They had plenty lining up to do the Gen Blue thing,and train full time with the Tahs for months FOR NOTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.