• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Shute Shield Media Intern
Posted January 13, 2014
NSW Rugby Union is looking to appoint an intern to help maximise the profile of the 2014 Shute Shield Premier Rugby Competition.

The successful candidate/s will be responsible for promoting the NSW Rugby Union (NSWRU) and Sydney Rugby Union (SRU), as well as the Shute Shield Premier Rugby Competition by executing a proactive media campaign in Sydney, NSW and National Media.

Candidates will be required to attend weekly Shute Shield matches from April to September 2014. Office attendance is not optional but candidates must be available to work on Wednesday/Thursday and/or Saturdays. Where two more candidates are successful, a job-share option will be explored.

The position is unpaid but personal expenses will be covered. Additional opportunities may be available to gain further experience with the NSW Waratahs.
http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby/AboutNSWRU/PositionsVacant.aspx
Now let's look at the Fair Work Australia fact sheet on "Internships, Vocational Placements & Unpaid Work":

Unpaid work experience placements and internships that don’t meet the definition of a vocational placement can be lawful in some instances. To be lawful, businesses need to ensure that the intern or work experience participant is not an employee.
One key issue in determining whether an employment contract has been formed is whether the parties intended to create a legally binding employment relationship.
When assessing whether the parties intended to form a legally binding employment relationship some key indicators would be:
• Purpose of the arrangement.
Was it to provide work experience to the person or was it to get the person to do work to assist with the business outputs and productivity?
• Length of time.
Generally, the longer the period of placement, the more likely the person is an employee
• The person’s obligations in the workplace.
Although the person may do some productive activities during a placement, they are less likely to be considered an employee if there is no expectation or requirement of productivity in the workplace
• Who benefits from the arrangement?
The main benefit of a genuine work placement or internship should flow to the person doing the placement. If a business is gaining a significant benefit as a result of engaging the person, this may indicate an employment relationship has been formed. Unpaid work experience programs are less likely to involve employment if they are primarily observational

What grubby - and on the face of it illegal - exploitation of young kids' desperation to find careers in sports administration.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Waratahs Rugby and NSW Rugby Union Intern Program
Updated 7 July, 2013

Waratahs Rugby and the NSW Rugby Union will be offering an Intern Program for the 2014 season.

Designed to help talented and enthusiastic graduates with a passion for sport to gain valuable experience within the sporting industry, the internships will cover a range of areas including:
- Media and communications
- Game day operations
- Fan engagement
- Marketing and membership

Shute Shield Media Intern
Posted January 13, 2014

NSW Rugby Union is looking to appoint an intern to help maximise the profile of the 2014 Shute Shield Premier Rugby Competition.

The successful candidate/s will be responsible for promoting the NSW Rugby Union (NSWRU) and Sydney Rugby Union (SRU), as well as the Shute Shield Premier Rugby Competition by executing a proactive media campaign in Sydney, NSW and National Media.

Candidates will be required to attend weekly Shute Shield matches from April to September 2014. Office attendance is not optional but candidates must be available to work on Wednesday/Thursday and/or Saturdays. Where two more candidates are successful, a job-share option will be explored.

The position is unpaid but personal expenses will be covered. Additional opportunities may be available to gain further experience with the NSW Waratahs.
http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby/AboutNSWRU/PositionsVacant.aspx
So when we talk of amateur era administration, we're not joking.
Just out of interest, is Jason Allen the CEO of the Waratahs or of the NSWRU?

It's a terrible shame when a quality joke, endlessly recyclable, is ruined by reality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think it's about time the Waratahs start looking after their fans, they haven't been for the past few years and it's definitely showing;

We need to fill the stadium with people who are passionate about rugby who will support their team. We have to make it easy and affordable for them to follow their team the Waratahs. (it is no good having cheap tickets for NZ Super teams supporters in Sydney it defeats the purpose)

We need to highlight the player links between the Shute Shield clubs and the Super 15 teams to the fans to demonstrate that the SS is the foundation of the Waratahs.

We should play the Shute Shield match of the round on the field as the curtain raiser, we should play the 2nd grade game before that.

Give the gate takings (say $15 per adult) up until the 1/2 time of the Shute Shield game to the Shute Shield home team (with the exception of Waratahs memberships). (Make the total entry charge $35 for the night General Admission) Also let the SS home team sell raffle tickets or whatever at the ground while their games are on to generate funds not generated at their home ground.

We need to scrap the 30-45mins pre game time training bullshit on the field before the Waratahs game. It is ludicrous to expect loyal fans to wait 30-45mins while the teams warm up they are professionals FFS, let the fans watch footy.

The Waratahs should provide the easy public transport direct to the field for the Shute Shield clubs supporters.

I think rather than offering free tickets for kids we offer easier transport access to adults who will spend more (food and beer etc) and then cheer more.

Lastly, if the members seats aren't filled by 1/2 time of the Super game let other members sit there, we need to fill the stands with Waratahs supporters.

Rant over.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
We need to scrap the 30-45mins pre game time training bullshit on the field before the Waratahs game. It is ludicrous to expect loyal fans to wait 30-45mins while the teams warm up they are professionals FFS, let the fans watch footy.

Isn't the fact that they're professionals the main reason why they warm up on the field for 30-45 minutes before each game? o_O

I don't think you can really expect much different to be honest.

Curtain raisers seems to decrease greatly once the season gets underway which I think is at least partly due to the amount of use the SFS gets.

With the Tahs, Sydney FC and various NRL teams all using the SFS, it gets a huge amount of use particularly in March and April when three codes are all using the ground.

Stands

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Isn't the fact that they're professionals the main reason why they warm up on the field for 30-45 minutes before each game? o_O

I don't think you can really expect much different to be honest.

Curtain raisers seems to decrease greatly once the season gets underway which I think is at least partly due to the amount of use the SFS gets.

With the Tahs, Sydney FC and various NRL teams all using the SFS, it gets a huge amount of use particularly in March and April when three codes are all using the ground.

So you don't mind sitting there for 30-45 mins while they warm up?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Of course I would prefer there to be a rugby game as a curtain raiser that runs right up until 15 minutes before the kick off of the main game but I accept that it isn't possible.

The playing field is used for the warm up in just about every professional sport their is. I don't why there is an expectation that it should be different here.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Its one of the major challenges that rugby faces in this country. If the NRL or AFL thought that curtain raisers that finished 10 minutes before kick offs would boost crowds it would be done, however as rugby is an actual international sport our partners don't face the same problem therefore wont want to change the access to the playing field laws.

I'm not saying I have the answer but playing Shute Shield games in an empty SFS which finishes at 6:50pm is not a runner IMO.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Each team is required by the competition organisers to have the field empty for a period of time(I thought it was an hour) to allow the teams to warm up on the playing surface.
I remember the good old days when the visiting teams warmed up at the cricket nets,which seemed perfectly ok for that purpose.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'm not saying I have the answer but playing Shute Shield games in an empty SFS which finishes at 6:50pm is not a runner IMO.

Judging by the crowd for the Gen Blue curtain raiser they had at the start of the season, I can't see it making much difference when the curtain raiser finishes. The few people who specifically want to watch that game will get there early enough to see it. The rest of the crowd will turn up for the main game at whatever time they had originally planned.

People go to Shute Shield games because they support that club and they like the park footy atmosphere that it provides and the ability to get really close, wander round the sideline etc. Bringing Shute Shield games to the SFS as curtain raisers would have very little benefit to crowd numbers in my opinion and would be detrimental to the Shute Shield clubs because their home games would then contain everyone but first grade which reduces interest locally and most fans who don't already attend Waratahs games would choose to miss that Shute Shield game rather than going to watch it and the Tahs at the SFS.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
What grubby - and on the face of it illegal - exploitation of young kids' desperation to find careers in sports administration.

my mate took that internship. He's in his mid 30s, and had to report to kids in their early 20s (who were on salary). Loved working for a sports team he loved, but couldn't keep working for no income and it quickly became apparent there was no potential of a paid gig with the tahs. Has some stories to tell though

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
We need to fill the stadium with people who are passionate about rugby who will support their team. We have to make it easy and affordable for them to follow their team the Waratahs.

here's my problem with your post: The stands are filled with the passionate waratah fans, and there's only about 12-15,000 of them. If the NSWRU want to increase profits they need to get the "crossover" fans. I'd define these fans as:
1 - general sports fan - follows league/AFL mainly, but will watch any sport if exposed to it.
2 - rugby player - mostly juniors/schools - they play the game, but don't passionately follow the waratahs. And their families.
3 - corporate sponsors and business jerks - the only real market sector the Tahs have previously had success in converting.
4 - students - this group is after a good night out, and they're not currently getting it at the Waratah matches.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Meh, just play consistent decent rugby

We wouldn't even be whinging about the shit SFS service if they were playing decent rugby

Bloody Tahs are the prick teases of super rugby

Status
Not open for further replies.