• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i disagree about the fickle nature of sydney sports fans - the western sydney teams do well in terms of fan base, the wanderers and giants in particular have focussed very well on community engagement to facilitate this. the swans have also held their own in the market.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I'd like to think that us tragics are the equivalent of shareholders in Tahs Pty Ltd. There was a fair bit of calling for heads to roll at the end of 2012 and several of the board members fell on their swords at that time, along with the coach - who landed a nice gig out west.

The re-appointment of Foley for 2013 and his subsequent departure for the Force has got to be one of the most bizarre things to have happened. I thought it was fair enough to give him the benefit of the doubt and see how he fares in 2013. But then for him to leave after agreeing to stay was astounding.

In the end, it worked out well with the appointment of Chieks as the Tahs would already be on life support if there was a repeat of 2012 on the field.

You would think that the CEO would have been intimately involved in the process. After this debacle, I would have thought that the Board would have concerns about his performance.

He talks a big game, but hasn't delivered. Remember his 10:3:1 vision? If not, here's a link to an article where he discusses it.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/my-vision-for-the-nsw-waratahs/story-e6frey4i-1225986474487

Not sure what is covered by "commercial revenue". However, if it only refers to sponsorship revenue then based on the 2012 annual report the Tahs are way off target with just over $5.6mil. Not likely to have reached $10m in 2013.

10K of members has been achieved in absolute numbers. But I think only full 8 games members (or equivalent) should be counted. For 2014, how many members are the freebies being given away to kids? Also, the 2013 tally could be an aberration with the number inflated by people interested in accessing Lions tickets.

Didn't achieve three consecutive years of finals football.

It's subjective, but it would be hard to argue that the Tahs have become the Super Rugby centre of excellence in Australia.

Based on his own vision, he has not achieved what he set out to do. When combined with his comments about the financial state of the Tahs, it doesn't paint a positive picture of what's going on in the senior executive ranks of the Tahs back office.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Info on the trial teams from AAP. I wouldn't read too much into it; nor into the score, for that matter.

I'm sure that Beale, Foley and Volavola will all get a shot at both 10 and 15.

KURTLEY Beale will get first crack at five-eighth for NSW Waratahs when they tackle Melbourne Rebels in a trial in Albury this weekend.

Beale was named to start the match in Albury ahead of Bernard Foley, his rival for the No. 10 jersey when the Super Rugby season kicks off next month.

New recruits Jono Lance and Tala Gray have been named in the NSW 15, but coach Michael Cheika has delayed naming his reserves bench.

Prop Paddy Ryan is the only Wallaby from last year's Spring Tour named in the starting side.

Former Wallaby Stephen Hoiles, on the comeback trail from a troublesome Achilles injury, will step up his bid for a contract when he starts in the backrow.

Meanwhile the Waratahs' hired muscle has arrived in town, with Springboks wrecking ball Jacques Potgieter joining NSW teammates in Albury.

Cheika wants his side to be the toughest in Super Rugby this year, and marquee signing Potgieter - who stands at 194cm and weighs 115kg - will be appointed chief enforcer.

The 27-year-old back-rower earned three caps for South Africa in 2012 after impressing with his physical and intimidatory approach for the Bulls.

Cheika said at the time of Potgieter's signing last year that he wanted a "no-nonsense, hard and strong ball carrier and tackler" to inject into his forward pack.

Potgieter won't play in Albury after returning from a stint in Japanese rugby, however coaching staff will look to bring him up to speed quickly with structures and plays.

"He's a cult hero around the club already," said halfback Nick Phipps.

"Everyone is looking forward to him arriving. He's huge ... an absolute wrecking ball.

"Cheik said he wanted someone like that in the second row. He wants the forwards to be intense and intimidating and physical."

The Waratahs have been put through a gruelling pre-season and, so far, the hard-nosed approach appears to have paid off - with only one member of their extended squad carrying an injury.

"Cheik's made no hesitation in saying he wants us to be the fittest and toughest team in the comp," Phipps said.

With predicted warm temperatures Saturday's match will be played in quarters.

The Rebels will give their entire squad a hit-out, including Wallaby backrower Scott Higginbotham in his first match back from shoulder surgery.

Waratahs starting 15: Ben Volavola, Peter Betham, Rob Horne, Jono Lance, Matt Carraro, Kurtley Beale, Brendan McKibbin, Tala Gray, Pat McCutcheon, Stephen Hoiles, Will Skelton, Greg Peterson, Paddy Ryan, Tolu Latu, Jeremy Tilse

Rebels starting 15: 1st Quarter: Tom Kingston, Alex Rokobaro, Lalakai Foketi, Lachlan Mitchell, Joe Kamana, Angus Roberts, Luke Burgess; Scott Higginbotham (C), Jordy Reid, Sean McMahon, Lopeti Timani, Luke Jones, Laurie Weeks, Steve Foulau, Max Lahiff.

2nd Quarter: Tom Kingston, Alex Rokobaro, Lachlan Mitchell, Lalakai Foketi, Joe Kamana, Angus Roberts, Ben Meehan; Scott Higginbotham (C), Jordy Reid, Sean McMahon, Lopeti Timani, Luke Jones, Cruze Ah-Nau, Steve Foulau, Eddie Aholelei

3rd Quarter: Jason Woodward, Tom Kingston, Tom English, Mitch Inman, Telusa Veainu, Bryce Hegarty, Nic Stirzaker; Lopeti Timani, Scott Fuglistaller, Colby Fainga'a, Luke Jones, Hugh Pyle, Paul Alo-Emile, Pat Leafa, Toby Smith

4th Quarter: Jason Woodward, Tom Kingston, Tom English, Mitch Inman, Telusa Veainu, Bryce Hegarty, Nic Stirzaker; Colby Fainga'a, Scott Fuglistaller, Sean McMahon, Luke Jones, Hugh Pyle, Paul Alo-Emile, Pat Leafa, Toby Smith

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So Hoiles is playing for/being planned to be back up 7

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
Last year at this stage AJ Gilbert was highly favoured but no sign of him this year. Will the same happen to Hoiles ?

T

TOCC

I'd like to think that us tragics are the equivalent of shareholders in Tahs Pty Ltd. There was a fair bit of calling for heads to roll at the end of 2012 and several of the board members fell on their swords at that time, along with the coach - who landed a nice gig out west.

Perhaps there was not enough sword falling at that time.

In terms of the share price bottoming out, just look at some of the 2012 and 2013 crowds. "potential investors" have voted with their feet and effectively driven the share price down.

Sydney crowds are as fickle as everything, quick to jump on winning streak bandwagons, and even quicker to jump off the same bandwagon when the team starts losing. It must frustrate the hell out of the strategists, but that is why they are paid the big bucks.

Our game needs to be run by some commercially savvy executives who are in tune with the big end of town. Former players who know which wine is best matched with what food, and can perform the appropriate old school secret handshake and little else, have demonstrated a complete inability to manage the game for long term benefit. Put them out to pasture, and only call them in for the occasional jumper presentation and end of season awards night.

Some good analogies... Also I agree about rugby union players rising through the tanks as sports administrators, the old boys network in rugby is ridiculous.

I think the Tahs need to look to the AFL and poach one of their administrators, possibly even one at the Swans currently. The AFL has set the benchmark for sports administration in the country and we could do far worse off then trying to import some of that knowledge. Jim Carmichael has shown what a different approach can do.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
The Tahs need to go something in their marketing department. All summer on TV I've been bombarded with ads about NRL memberships, Auckland 9's etc etc. I struggle to recall seeing even a billboard advertising Tahs memberships.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
The Tahs need to go something in their marketing department. All summer on TV I've been bombarded with ads about NRL memberships, Auckland 9's etc etc. I struggle to recall seeing even a billboard advertising Tahs memberships.
Sounds like they cant afford it :-/

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
Cheika radio spot on nova this morning.
The cabs have been cruising around with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), TPN & Folau for membership since before Christmas. The ad is similar to the previous ones so might be hard to discern.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Cheika radio spot on nova this morning.
The cabs have been cruising around with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), TPN & Folau for membership since before Christmas. The ad is similar to the previous ones so might be hard to discern.

I've seen those cabs, I thought they were last years ads? Shows what happens when you dont have the contact lenses in

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
i disagree about the fickle nature of sydney sports fans - the western sydney teams do well in terms of fan base, the wanderers and giants in particular have focussed very well on community engagement to facilitate this. the swans have also held their own in the market.

Really? The Giants absolutely flooded the market with free tickets, and their home games were a ghost town by the end of last season. The Wanderers have been a revelation in terms of fan-led participation, but there's novelty there - and they made the grand final last season. Let's see how they're going in a few years.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Sounds like they cant afford it :-/

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

They could probably find some success with a short video reel showcasing highlights from last season and ending with an offer for discounted membership/tickets for former members who did not renew last year, if they have a way of verifying this. Could probably target it at some certain Facebook groups and Twitter accts, I'm sure there are even some forums out there where they could find these folks. I think they should focus immediately on restoring their former supporter base more so than anything else.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-frc3/t1/1601458_10151989224027144_53386865_n.jpg

Welcome Jacques!

Apparently Volvo have provided him the Latest South African model

volvo_240_converted_to_run_on_wood_gas_1qggr.jpg

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
When I had a Volvo 240 the exhaust didn't look anything like that!

I had a silver one. I wish I'd had a red one as it would have gone faster.
Runs on old biltong scraps...just fill up the containers at the back with old dried Springboks....Os" du Randt would keep you going for years!! :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.