• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Couple of great posts here LG and Hawko - always enjoy your stuff but this is quality. Being passionate about your team shouldn't preclude having a critical eye. Can I add one other issue to the list that I think has been systemic in NSW for a long while.

In NSW we have always loved our rock stars and never pay enough attention to the grafters that are the lifeblood of a team and get you through a long season. Guys like TPN, Timani, Palu, Fatcat, Kepu have always had the ability to have very high quality involvements, but have sometimes (not always in all cases) struggled with the quantity of their involvements. One or two guys who can make the big hit or the big carry can lift a team and turn a match, but you need a rump of players who make tackles, hit rucks, line up for the next carry and do the work off the ball for 80 minutes.

The reds and brumbies have the opposite problem - Benny A, Squeaky, Sio, Carter, Fardy, Kimlin, Mowen, Smith for the Brumbies and Slipper, SFinger, Simmons, Quirke, Shatz and Gill for the Reds played like a pack of mongrel dogs for 80 minutes and we need a bit more of that at the Tahs. We can't leave it all to Hooper, and are probably better letting him off some of this grunt work because his explosive running game is such a weapon.

My concern with the hype around big Willie is that he might be another rockstar - capable of a big play but not up to the 80 minute graft. That said, there is no better man than Chieka to get that out of a pack if the raw materials are there. He seemed to get Dennis to lift his game a notch last season with some quality carries and ruck involvements in the last ten minutes of matches that I had not seen previously. He needs to get Fatcat back to his best and get Douglas and Kepu to acheive the potential that they clearly have. Signing Potgeiter (sp?) as a lock may help address this also. Happpy to have TPN and Palu as the wrecking balls but we need to build a pack around them that loves nothing better than doing the dirty work for 80 minutes.

People often say that no team has ever won a super title without a great five eighth, but for mine the common demominator in the Super competition is a mongrel pack. When Qld won the title a few years back, my man of the match was Daly. Watch the last 5 minutes of that match and see how many times in succession he cut down the ball carrier, got back to his feet, marshalled the defence and then made the next tackle. He gets rogered in the scrums but he did the work of 8 men in the championship minutes when everyone else was out on their feet. If we see a bit of that at the tahs I will start to get excited.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
He kind of hasn't fitted into the Tahs as a starter but in your ranks, you have Mitch Chapman and I would class him as the type of player you describe Alex.

Alex

Jimmy Flynn (14)
He kind of hasn't fitted into the Tahs as a starter but in your ranks, you have Mitch Chapman and I would class him as the type of player you describe Alex.
Agreed - I have always thought Chapman was a great squad man - honest around the padock and handy in the lineout - unfortuately he is one of those lads that maybe doesn't quite have the frame to really make it as atsarting lock or the all round game to make it in the back row. Cutch is another one that you can't fault for work ethic but its also hard to see where exactly he fits into a starting pack. That said, you may have a better balanced pack with one of these sorts of lads in it than the collection of big names that we all list with pride at the start of every season before it starts going wrong.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
Couple of great posts here LG and Hawko - always enjoy your stuff but this is quality. Being passionate about your team shouldn't preclude having a critical eye. Can I add one other issue to the list that I think has been systemic in NSW for a long while.

In NSW we have always loved our rock stars and never pay enough attention to the grafters that are the lifeblood of a team and get you through a long season. Guys like TPN, Timani, Palu, Fatcat, Kepu have always had the ability to have very high quality involvements, but have sometimes (not always in all cases) struggled with the quantity of their involvements. One or two guys who can make the big hit or the big carry can lift a team and turn a match, but you need a rump of players who make tackles, hit rucks, line up for the next carry and do the work off the ball for 80 minutes.

The reds and brumbies have the opposite problem - Benny A, Squeaky, Sio, Carter, Fardy, Kimlin, Mowen, Smith for the Brumbies and Slipper, SFinger, Simmons, Quirke, Shatz and Gill for the Reds played like a pack of mongrel dogs for 80 minutes and we need a bit more of that at the Tahs. We can't leave it all to Hooper, and are probably better letting him off some of this grunt work because his explosive running game is such a weapon.

My concern with the hype around big Willie is that he might be another rockstar - capable of a big play but not up to the 80 minute graft. That said, there is no better man than Chieka to get that out of a pack if the raw materials are there. He seemed to get Dennis to lift his game a notch last season with some quality carries and ruck involvements in the last ten minutes of matches that I had not seen previously. He needs to get Fatcat back to his best and get Douglas and Kepu to acheive the potential that they clearly have. Signing Potgeiter (sp?) as a lock may help address this also. Happpy to have TPN and Palu as the wrecking balls but we need to build a pack around them that loves nothing better than doing the dirty work for 80 minutes.

People often say that no team has ever won a super title without a great five eighth, but for mine the common demominator in the Super competition is a mongrel pack. When Qld won the title a few years back, my man of the match was Daly. Watch the last 5 minutes of that match and see how many times in succession he cut down the ball carrier, got back to his feet, marshalled the defence and then made the next tackle. He gets rogered in the scrums but he did the work of 8 men in the championship minutes when everyone else was out on their feet. If we see a bit of that at the tahs I will start to get excited.

You know I've never thought that much for the Tah's but you are right, the guys who work hard need to be in your pack. For the Brumbies I think our Lock Combo of Fardy and Carter work so hard around the pack it's exceptional and what Jake got them doing is doing it accurately .. It was also a big reason why our back row was Kimlin Mowen Smith and Futo was on the bench he can't put in the hard yards

For you guy's when you see Tamini and Douglas in the Second row they never really inspired me to get through the work good at scrums good for a big hit or big run but they never get through the work.

I really like the noise coming out of Chieka and the Tah's because it's good to have a strong sydney team (Australian's first) just as long as you dont beat the Brumbies :)

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Is Dave Dennis a walk up starter? I certainly wouldnt put it past Cheika to axe his captain if his trial form is not up to it. Personally I dont think Dennis offers all that much, harsh???

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Very, he will start and will be the captain in 2014.
Interesting, probably would have said the same about horwill for the wallabies at start of 2013. What do you see as Dennis major strengths and do you feel he fits the 2013 style of play of tahs @ 6

gowaratahs

Sydney Middleton (9)
Is Dave Dennis a walk up starter? I certainly wouldnt put it past Cheika to axe his captain if his trial form is not up to it. Personally I dont think Dennis offers all that much, harsh???
He had a great 2012, and deserved his Wallaby call-up. He was the Tahs dominant forward though after an underwhelming 2013 we have to question his credentials as captain. Might Cheika consider Hooper an option, and as a long-term leader? For effort and passion, you couldn't do better - but does just that a great captain make?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
He had a great 2012, and deserved his Wallaby call-up. He was the Tahs dominant forward though after an underwhelming 2013 we have to question his credentials as captain. Might Cheika consider Hooper an option, and as a long-term leader? For effort and passion, you couldn't do better - but does just that a great captain make?
Id like to see Hooper or Phipps captain the side

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Their passing and catching hasn't been that hot though in the four squads they do full movements in—though each team is laced with some Invited Players, who influence that kind of thing.

I do like a good dose of reality, Lee, but I think this is going a bit too far! You'll drive me to full scale depression. Passing and catching should be as fundamental as breathing for a backline trying to play the gameplan we do. If you play like the Force it doesn't matter too much; but with our wide-passing style its very easy to get isolated and picked off if we throw bad passes or drop the ball. I can't excuse it because of the invited players either; those guys are fighting for a future career.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Definitely. His strong goal kicking in that season also helped push Pretorius out of the starting team.

And the fact Pretorius couldn't pass spatter marks onto the porcelain if you fed him 5 vindaloos while he was sitting on the fucking thing. Worst signing ever considering the coaching setup that was in place.

As I don't have Foxtel this year, I'll be relying on you lot to provide accurate and unbiased commentary on what is happening on-field, outside of the highlights I'll see occasionally.

Of course, this doesn't preclude my right to disagree with you if your opinion isn't up to scratch. Ball is in your court.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As I don't have Foxtel this year, I'll be relying on you lot to provide accurate and unbiased commentary on what is happening on-field, outside of the highlights I'll see occasionally.

[ ] Great win. The boys played hard and done good.

[ ] We was robbed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We'll just tick whichever box applies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Yeah, Dennis got better and better as captain and as a player last season

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Of course, this doesn't preclude my right to disagree with you if your opinion isn't up to scratch. Ball is in your court.

best of luck there

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
By all accounts KB (Kurtley Beale) is settle in and doing well at the Tahs, however I was wondering if it is worth him meeting with the recent Australian of the Year, Adams Goodes to discuss being a role model. Goodes is a good role model, great sportsman, connected to his his indigenous roots and balances his fame and private life well. The Swans are only 300m up the road from the Tahs. Could be a good meeting for KB (Kurtley Beale).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Merts as kicking coach

Waratahs hire Andrew Mehrtens as kicking coach

Date
January 29, 2014 - 2:02PM

Mehrtens-20with-20players-20-Large-2-620x349.jpg
Wise words: Andrew Mehrtens oversees a kicking session. Photo: Supplied
The NSW Waratahs have hired All Blacks great Andrew Mehrtens as kicking coach for the upcoming Super Rugby season.
One of the most prolific point-scorers in rugby history, 40-year-old Mehrtens is now based in Sydney for business and will assist the Waratahs on a part-time basis advising kickers Kurtley Beale, Bernard Foley and Brendan McKibbin.

Mehrtens-20overseeing-20a-20session-20-Large-1-620x349.jpg
Andrew Mehrtens is the All Blacks' second highest points scorer with 967 points. Photo: Supplied

..................................​

"I like both those guys (Cheika and Gibson), I think they're awesome coaches and I like what they seem to be trying to doing here as well," Mehrtens said.

Read more:http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/waratahs-hire-andrew-mehrtens-as-kicking-coach-20140129-31mag.html#ixzz2rkmEU8uU

Status
Not open for further replies.