• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
After only the first trial,most teams are not reduced to 2 options at 10, the first option being a 15 with a handful of games at 10 at this level.And an understudy who played almost all, if not the entire season in SS at 15.
It's almost like Foley knew he was going, and left a bag of crap behind for his successor.Either that or he was fucking clueless.
Except, based on my limited research via google, Hamish Angus (or vice versa) was in the frame for an EPS during Cheika's time - wasnt he?
If Lane drops back to SS (as mooted) can the Tahs add someone to the EPS?

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
That's right guys, my plan, stay with me here, is to, get this one, play their outside centre, are you with me here, at inside centre!

Memo to Mr Gibson, Re: Horne at IC.

The last time Horne played IC was at the last RWC against the US. His very first use of the ball was a crash ball run that resulted in a serious injury that ended his world cup and a trip home that afternoon.

Really, who in their right mind would hand the crash ball duties to Rob Horne? Apart from Deans that is.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Memo to Mr Gibson, Re: Horne at IC.

The last time Horne played IC was at the last RWC against the US. His very first use of the ball was a crash ball run that resulted in a serious injury that ended his world cup and a trip home that afternoon.

Really, who in their right mind would hand the crash ball duties to Rob Horne? Apart from Deans that is.

Didn't he score a try with his first touch too?

That is skillful.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
your point?

we can moan and moan, but that won't change things and I get frustrated with 20/20 hindsight

the plan was sound,

Foley (a good 10 who I rate)
Barnes (flawed but solid)
Lane (a talent, but coming back from serious injury)
Volavola (raw talent)
Horitz(really raw talent)

the reality the other available options were no better
It's not 20/20 hindsight when the point is made before the season.Myself and many others posted months ago about the poor options we have at 10/12 for this season.
We have Foley at 10, who I agree has played well there in the few games he played there last year.
Barnes has been dismal at 10 for the Tahs.
Lane is/was a great unknown/risk.For him to withdraw before the season confirms what a risk it was.
Volavola is not even first pick for his SS side at 10.If he succeeds at this level, it is more likely at 15 rather than 10.
Horwitz..You cannot be serious for this year surely?
That is not a plan upon which you can build a successful year.

T

TOCC

Prior to signing izzy as their last squad member I assumed the Tahs were going to add another 5/8 or playmaker to the team, if you examine the depth of players across the back line, the Tahs are overstocked on outside backs but short in the playmaker department...

This is nothing new, as mentioned it was pointed out in the pre-season.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
fatprop is right to the extent that we have to make do with what we have, I can't agree that "the plan" was sound though. I'm assuming here that there was some sort of plan, as the death throes of the Hickey/Foley era seemed characterised by a complete lack of planning. The chaotic nature of Foley's departure really summed up so many things.

I'm confident that Cheika can make the most of it as there's enough talent there. The big problem will be if Murphy's law kicks in and injuries occur to enough key personnel at the same time.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Volavola is 10, just because he played 15 last season doesn't mean he ain't. He's played 10 all before that and went into the 1st receiver role plenty of times for Southern. Cheika picked him, not (Michael) Foley and started him against the Rebels and apparently went very well. I don't think there's an issue there.

And just quietly, Folau in his first 5 mins against the Blues has set up two tries already for Kingston. Got 2 of his own again as well

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Didn't he score a try with his first touch too?

That is skillful.

He received a double fracture to the cheekbone in the first 10 seconds of the game. He was determined to stay on as he hadn't played a test for 14 months and scored just before half time. The whole thing was a farce not skillful.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
And just quietly, Folau in his first 5 mins against the Blues has set up two tries already for Kingston. Got 2 of his own again as well

Are the knockers convinced yet that there is a possibility that Folau might just understand rugby enough to make it?

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Are the knockers convinced yet that there is a possibility that Folau might just understand rugby enough to make it?

I think he has the raw tools for sure and has impressed by all accounts but waiting see how he goes in a series of high intensity Super rugby games before I really make my mind up one way or the other.

mjw

Larry Dwyer (12)
I don't think anyone will be convinced until he starts scoring tries in the main competition. Let him play some home games first.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't understand the Mungo knockers.
How many players succeeded at Mungo and failed at Rugby?

To listen to some, anyone who has come from mungo has been an unmitigated disaster for Union and totally incompetent to boot. That's arrant nonsense, of course. Some are bad, some OK, some good and some outstanding. Pretty much like any Union-only candidate we've seen.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Channel 9 news reporting we lost to the blues 40-36 or roundabout there.

EDIT: Blues twitter feeds confirms this - Blues win with a try to Peter Saili in extra time

T

TOCC

I don't understand the Mungo knockers.
How many players succeeded at Mungo and failed at Rugby?

The issues stem from spending 6x the average super rugby players salary on a guy from another code, it's a snub towards the players currently in the system... And then as experience tells us, those players tend to gravitate back towards their old code anyway..

I don't doubt he will be a success, but I wish as a code we invested the money in our own players..

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
There are plenty suggesting he will be a failure at Rugby, which is a completely different issue to whether he is value, or a good investment for the code.
I am confident that he will succeed on the field, but sceptical that he will be a good investment.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Volavola is 10, just because he played 15 last season doesn't mean he ain't. He's played 10 all before that and went into the 1st receiver role plenty of times for Southern. Cheika picked him, not (Michael) Foley and started him against the Rebels and apparently went very well. I don't think there's an issue there.

For me Volavola is not the issue. I know he has played a lot of 10 earlier in his career and he's an excellent prospect. But all last year in Shute he played 15, which IMO is a poor preparation for playing 10 in Super rugby. A good 10 runs the game and doing it well requires regular play in that position.

I would have put Foley and Saifoloi into the 30 and had Volavola in the EPS to cover both 10 and 12. Our cover at 12 is only solid because Tom Carter seems to be immune from injury. Saifoloi would have taken Hodge's place. Lane would have either got the last EPS squad spot or been recruited as one of the wider playing group and told that he would be elevated once he had proved his rehab was complete (there is going to be at least one back who suffers a season-ending injury with about 90% certainty).

If people have reservations about Saifoloi then Hamish Angus would have been another good candidate.

I say again; the squad is seriously unbalanced and unless we have extrordinary luck this year it is going to bite us in the bum big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.