• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I don't doubt he will be a success, but I wish as a code we invested the money in our own players..
He's playing for the Waratahs, so he is one of "our own players". IMO, rugby really needs to get out of this us and them mentality, which seems to be a hangover from the amateur/rugby player upholding all the fine ideals of sport and the professional/league player representing something less pure.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I think he has the raw tools for sure and has impressed by all accounts but waiting see how he goes in a series of high intensity Super rugby games before I really make my mind up one way or the other.

A sensible view, but I'm referring to those whose base position seems to be that a boof-headed leaguie could not possibly succeed at rugby because it's somehow too complex for them to understand.

T

TOCC

He's playing for the Waratahs, so he is one of "our own players". IMO, rugby really needs to get out of this us and them mentality, which seems to be a hangover from the amateur/rugby player upholding all the fine ideals of sport and the professional/league player representing something less pure.

No it's more to do with showing faith in your own development system... Lets say we start to contract more and more players from the NRL U20 comp, what reason does a player have to remain in the rugby union academies if the league ones are offering better opportunities..

This is all hypothetical atm, but that's why I believe rugby should continue to place greater emphasis on players developed through rugby union development streams.

Anyway, I digress...

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

He's one of "our own players" now, but he doesn't deserve more money than those players who have already worked to get to a higher level in our game that he has yet to reach.........

Especially as he doesn't fill a role that Australian rugby is desperate fill.........

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I tend to think of the Folau situation as being a bit like SBW-Lite. Sure, he'll probably jump ship soon enough, but might well add some value while he's around. I think you'd be hard-pressed to argue that SBW wasn't worth bringing over, and perhaps we'll be able to say the same about Folau. Certain athletes are just so physically gifted that it'd be crazy not to take the risk.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
SBW spent time up in France learning the game before he went to New Zealand though.........

I'd certainly feel a lot better about the money the ARU are paying Folau if he had some rugby union form to back up on.........

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
He's one of "our own players" now, but he doesn't deserve more money than those players who have already worked to get to a higher level in our game that he has yet to reach...

Especially as he doesn't fill a role that Australian rugby is desperate fill...

So we're not looking for a giant 13 that actually gets over the gain line then? I thought we'd been after one of those for about 5 years now.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wait until you see the crowds before you judge, I know people that are going back to the SFS purely on Folau. Yeah the ARU gave the Tahs a hand out.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No it's more to do with showing faith in your own development system. Lets say we start to contract more and more players from the NRL U20 comp, what reason does a player have to remain in the rugby union academies if the league ones are offering better opportunities..
Signing a Mungo who played for Australia is completely different to signing a kid from the 20's who didn't get an offer to play in the NRL IMO.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Tom Carter seems to be immune from injury.
Im superstitious.
I wish you hadnt written this and I'll bet Choo Choo wishes you hadnt, too.

I'm not superstitious but I'm a bit wary of tempting fate. Nevertheless Tom Carter does have an extraordinary record of durability. In five seasons I think he has missed just one game through injury, although I know he played most of one season with injuries to both groins. Considering the style of football he plays that is an impressive achievement.

He made his debut in 2008 and has since played 72 games, averaging 14.4 games per season.

Compare that to the other claimants to the 12 spot at the 'Tahs. Berrick Barnes made his Super debut with the Queensland Reds in 2006 and has played a total of 82 games, averaging 11.7 games per season.

Rob Horne played his first Super game in 2008 and has since played 47 games, averaging 9.4 games per season.

Sometimes it takes a fresh pair of eyes to spot a weakness. So it is with the Waratahs' new attack coach, Daryl Gibson, who "wants to move Wallabies outside-centre Rob Horne to No. 12 this season."

According to Gibson: "[C]ertainly some of the skill sets he's got lends nicely to that position . . . he's quite an abrasive, robust sort of player and will give you a lot of go-forward in the middle of the park, probably what Ben Tapuai does for the Reds and Pat McCabe for the Brumbies.

"He largely reflects the style of game we want to play - a really abrasive, go-forward game. He'd be ideal there."

Well spotted, Daryl. For the past five seasons we've been looking for "an abrasive, robust sort of player [who] will give ... a lot of go-forward in the middle of the park". Fortunately the new attack coach will not need to do much tinkering with the other positions in the backline where we were really fluid last season. Steady as she goes.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well spotted, Daryl. For the past five seasons we've been looking for "an abrasive, robust sort of player [who] will give . a lot of go-forward in the middle of the park". Fortunately the new attack coach will not need to do much tinkering with the other positions in the backline where we were really fluid last season. Steady as she goes.

Bruce, I am a little concerned that some may not catch the irony in your last paragraph. Some readers thought your take on Totality Tony was genuine. Me, I still chortle every time I remember it. While Gibson is not yet in that league, I'm yet to be convinced he will add significant value. Time will tell.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Bruce, I am a little concerned that some may not catch the irony in your last paragraph. Some readers thought your take on Totality Tony was genuine. Me, I still chortle every time I remember it. While Gibson is not yet in that league, I'm yet to be convinced he will add significant value. Time will tell.
Hawko, it is at once one of the great frustrations and one of the great joys of the practice of irony that you can lay the sarcasm on with a trowel as thick as you like and some innocent soul will still take you at face value.

In my more reflective moments I sometimes ponder on the possibility that Totality Tony, having already achieved the re-invigoration of Wallabies rugby, might choose to quote my words of praise on the occasion of his appointment as evidence of his fitness and suitability for his next assignment.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Wait until you see the crowds before you judge, I know people that are going back to the SFS purely on Folau. Yeah the ARU gave the Tahs a hand out.

Exactemento. Just as the kids wanted to see Lote play. Folau has already paid for himself in free publicity, everything else he brings will be cream. And he will bring a lot, bums on seats, and a lo-o-o-o-o-t more beautiful free publicity. This is not just good for the Tahs, it is good for rugby in Australia.

Status
Not open for further replies.