• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pedrolicus

Dick Tooth (41)
your point?
I was simply trying to show how being a regular wallaby doesn't mean you're better than a fringe wallaby. As someone was comparing mowen and Dennis, said Dennis was a regular wallaby therefore better. I would also like to state that Mcalman just re-signed with the ARU.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
We could compare their relative merits before Mowen had a season as captain, i.e just as players rather than Jedi Masters, or whatever mystic level Mowen has achieved, which would be the more meaningful comparison. Both good backrow players, who are very good lineout options. One has gone on to Test level, the other not yet, but may well. Bit tough to judge Dennis as a relative failure before he has captained a game, and before the new coach has had a chance to show anything either. I'm sure it was evident before Mowen played a game for the Brumbies that it would all be apples?

Not sure on Dennis, but my understanding is that Mowen has been marked as a potential captain since his junior years. Mowen has been U21 captain, captained his side in the ARC, and variously has captained other sides. Their is some interest in the comparison from that side.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was simply trying to show how being a regular wallaby doesn't mean you're better than a fringe wallaby. As someone was comparing mowen and Dennis, said Dennis was a regular wallaby therefore better. I would also like to state that Mcalman just re-signed with the ARU.

actually being a regular wallaby does mean you're better than a fringe wallaby

Mumm - fringe wallaby - did OK, but there were better
Baxter - regular wallaby, no better THP at the time in Aus

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
actually being a regular wallaby does mean you're better than a fringe wallaby

Mumm - fringe wallaby - did OK, but there were better
Baxter - regular wallaby, no better THP at the time in Aus

Remember that we live in a world where Phipps is the third best halfback at the Rebels and Ben Lucas should have been on the bench for the Wallabies last season because he's the next best halfback after Genia and next best 10 after Cooper.

D

daz

Remember that we live in a world where Phipps is the third best halfback at the Rebels and Ben Lucas should have been on the bench for the Wallabies last season because he's the next best halfback after Genia and next best 10 after Cooper.

Whoo.

You should add the disclaimer that your opinions do not neccesarily reflect the thinking of, well, just about everyone.

:D

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Whoo.

You should add the disclaimer that your opinions do not neccesarily reflect the thinking of, well, just about everyone.

:D

I was being facetious daz.

I don't agree with either of those opinions but they are ones that have been trotted out multiple times on this forum over the last year by plenty of people.

Reactions: daz

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
First up, I like Dave Dennis as a player and a bloke, having met him last year when he attended the Two Blues Luncheon with Taaf, Sekope and Cliffy Palu, however the press are trumpeting that he hails from Western Sydney as if that's some kind of nod to rugby in the region. Dave went to Richmond High, made the Australian Schoolboys and was immediately drafted, as most are, to Sydney University ( I understand there are more than 30 recent Aust Schools players in the Uni Colts squad at present). The Uni system is great and developed Dave into the player and man that he is. But his appointment is predictable, boring and perpetuates the dominance that one club has over the competition. It might sound self serving, but what about Tatafu Polota-Nau or Ben Robinson as alternatives if they really want to be seen to be acknowleging and encouraging Western Sydney Rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don't think the appointment of Dave Dennis has anything to do with him hailing from Western Sydney. It is something that can be commented on (just as you would provide some backstory for whoever was announced as captain).

I am a huge fan of both TPN and Robbo but I think making either of them captain is a mistake. Both of them should finish most games on the bench as that is the nature of their positions. Leadership at the back end of games last year was the Tahs biggest issue and it wouldn't help having your captain routinely off the field in the last 20 minutes or kept on the field past the point where they should have been replaced due to fatigue.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
He seems a fairly astute choice on a number of levels. Not sure why there's such passionate opposition to it, particularly when we haven't even seen the team play.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hooper and Douglas I can agree with, Barnes I can see happening, but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is just too far from the action to lead.

Bessa

Ted Fahey (11)
Picking Hooper might be a bit of a kick in the teeth to the guys that have been there for a few years. Douglas should look maintaining consistancy for the season, Berrick looks set to head O/S anyway and Two-Dads is too far away from the action, I think. You need a loose forward or halfback as your captain. You get to have a chat to the ref at scrum and lineout time. You can have your wingers running in for a sneeky chat while the scrums are setting.
Just my opinion...

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Are the Tah's going to stick with the standard one vice captain or go with the multiples that have started emerging in recent years? Robinson, Barnes, Mitchell, TPN?

Rugby Is My Life

Herbert Moran (7)
Are the Tah's going to stick with the standard one vice captain or go with the multiples that have started emerging in recent years? Robinson, Barnes, Mitchell, TPN?

No looks like Cheika is going to allow Dennis to select his own VC - I read an article yesterday but for the life of me, can't find it otherwise would share

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
Hooper and Douglas I can agree with, Barnes I can see happening, but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is just too far from the action to lead.

O'Driscoll and Tana Umaga would probably disagree. If your captaincy material, your position shouldn't disclude your selection. But you're right a lot of coaches like their captains close to the action rather than overseeing (like a fullback or wing)

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Chapman will not only be a backup 6 but also a back up lineout boss.

The Tahs lacked a number 2 guy in that area; now they don't.
Correct Lee.
Also young Jed Holloway 'can play' as they say, but neither Timani or Douglas are the right people to help develop him and will most probably be missing on Wallaby duty for long periods too.
Chapman will also help Cheika more quickly determine if Greg Peterson is going to cut it, and same for the other kid they looked at.
Chapman will be a very handy bench/starter when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.