• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I think Dennis is a fine choice, but an interim captain.

By that I think that Hooper is the long term captain within the group but it will be a year or two (max) until he takes over........

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Meanwhile, the two best 10's from Shute, Angus and Saifoloi seem to have bubonic plague and no one wants them. Sorry if I've become a broken record, but this latest Lane issue is the last straw![/quote

Toby Browne from the wicks was one of the last trialist for a spot in the EPS

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Sam Lane seeking release.

I love a good conspiracy theory. IIRC there was talk during Quadegate that Lane had an escape clause in his Tahs contract allowing him to go to the Reds if needed.

Is Sam seeking an out to return to QLD to challenge QC (Quade Cooper) for the Reds #10 jumper?

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I'm pretty baffled by that, Dennis is an excellent lineout option and it has been reported he will call the lineouts. I see no issue there for him.
Incorrect imo the lineout is a big concern for tahs, this is why mitch chapman was brought into the squad

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think it's a concern for them, but Mitchell Chapman is a great pickup and one of the best lineout operators in the country........

I'm sure he could be a mentor for Dennis........

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
No the lineout isn't a concern when Dennis is out there, Chapman was brought in as a replacement for Dennis because there's no other 6s in the squad

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
He's a good 6 and a passable 8/lock and I don't think anyone in the Tahs could take the 6 from him. However, his decision making and skill in the lineout need some development. But I hope the extra pressure of being the captain will improve his game, like it did Pocock, and not turn him into another Dean Mumm.

The extra pressure of being captain didn't improve Pocock's game. Pocock had a fairly quiet year in the Super Rugby and few tests that he played. He might have looked better in Super Rugby because he spent about half of the 2010 and 2011 seasons injured. His Test form in 2010 and 2011 was much better than 2012.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
That seems pretty irrelevant to what roffschoice said...
We could compare their relative merits before Mowen had a season as captain, i.e just as players rather than Jedi Masters, or whatever mystic level Mowen has achieved, which would be the more meaningful comparison. Both good backrow players, who are very good lineout options. One has gone on to Test level, the other not yet, but may well. Bit tough to judge Dennis as a relative failure before he has captained a game, and before the new coach has had a chance to show anything either. I'm sure it was evident before Mowen played a game for the Brumbies that it would all be apples?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We could compare their relative merits before Mowen had a season as captain, i.e just as players rather than Jedi Masters, or whatever mystic level Mowen has achieved, which would be the more meaningful comparison. Both good backrow players, who are very good lineout options. One has gone on to Test level, the other not yet, but may well. Bit tough to judge Dennis as a relative failure before he has captained a game, and before the new coach has had a chance to show anything either. I'm sure it was evident before Mowen played a game for the Brumbies that it would all be apples?

For the record, I wasn't agreeing with roffchoice's cynical part of his post, rather just shutting down mjw's feeling that their test records are anyway relevant to their influence/form/whatever in their respective Super teams........

And I 100% agree it's rather silly to judge Dennis on a job he hasn't performed yet.........

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm sorry for causing an argument here! D:

All I meant was, similarly to how I doubted Mowen before the 2012 season I don't know how Dennis will handle captaincy. I wish him well and hope to see him leading the Tahs to smash the Crusaders in the trial match.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
On the whole DD looks like a good choice for the captaincy, although I'll say little more until a few games into the Super rugby season when we've seen him in action

Status
Not open for further replies.