• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Assuming that it's going to be someone who's position in the team is reasonably secure, there's not a huge number to pick from. Hooper is one who fits the bill.

A lot of them have their positions secured, the best pack is very obvious.

Dennis, Hooper or Barnes for me though

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
John Eales is not considered an angry or even aggressive man; he is however technically excellent, a hard work, and a great communicator.

Captains come from different moulds and I think Dennis is an excellent choice.

Eales is obviously a very intelligent man, apart from his other attributes. I would argue that intelligence is the most important characteristic of a captain in the professional era.

Captains might come from different moulds, but there are certain basics that all good captains have. Not sure that Dennis has them.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A lot of them have their positions secured, the best pack is very obvious.

Dennis, Hooper or Barnes for me though

Not all those whose positions are reasonably secure have leadership qualities though. The 3 you've mentioned do, although difficult from 15 (assuming Barnes plays there).

If I was choosing, it would probably come down to those 3.

Another factor which will come into it is how the coach and captain relate. All 3 strike me as being hardworking and willing and able to follow the coach's game plan/tactics.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Smith backs Cheika for Waratahs' redemption

But one thing followers can bank on under their new coach, Michael Cheika, Wallabies great George Smith believes, is that they will play as a united team, not a collective bunch of individuals.
''He is well respected by players.'' Smith said. ''Players enjoy being coached by Michael. He is a coach you want to play for and win games for. He will bring that out of the players, and an ability to be a group rather than as individuals.''
Smith, 32 - a protege of former Wallabies and Brumbies coach Eddie Jones, who lured Smith to Suntory as their coach but is now in charge of the Japanese national side - likes hard-nosed coaching
And at Stade Francais, he found that in Cheika and liked it - even if some of the European players did not. Cheika's two-year contract ended acrimoniously after a string of unsatisfactory results and amid reports of boardroom politics.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I wouldn't mind seeing TPN as Captain. It would make for some interesting pressers and it would be good to have an Islander as captain of one of the Super teams. The only issue would be his ability to stay on the field and the decisions he would make while concussed.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I wouldn't mind seeing TPN as Captain. It would make for some interesting pressers and it would be good to have an Islander as captain of one of the Super teams. The only issue would be his ability to stay on the field and the decisions he would make while concussed.
A captain at least needs to know how to tackle "correctly"!!!!!
Actually if he captained the same way it could be a fantastic idea - lead with your head.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Jets - I don't really like the idea of appointing a captain who would be or should be routinely subbed in the last 15 minutes of a game. To me these are the most important minutes of the game.

The Waratahs lost several games last year due to poor decision making in the final minutes. Either having a captain who isn't likely to be on the field at that point or one who should have been subbed but has been kept on because they are captain doesn't work for me.

That is why Dennis seems like a good pick to me. He would be the forward most likely to play the most 80 minute games.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I was just trying to put another name out there. Rugby has a history of captains being appointed and growing into the role. Also the last 15mins is when Barnes should be stepping up to close out games and can take over.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Robinson doesn't play 80 so I have concerns over him as captain.

Barnes is a maybe, but not perfect from 15 and if playing 10, he has enough to do.

A lock, nah

The backrower? A kid, a quiet 8 and Dennis

The 9s aren't set in stone

Mitchell? he would love the media part, but too far away from the action.

This may be left field, but Tom Carter was/is a good captain for Uni.

Enthusiasm times 10 and a team man who has played under quality leaders his whole career (Waugh & Davidson)

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Took the words right out of my mouth. I think the only thing stopping TPN from being picked is his constant battles with injury. He had a bit of an ordinary year in 12 but the captaincy would bring out the best in him. He is well respected by players, articulate, smart and I believe the best quality is his commitment and passion. TPN for me!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Douglas has captaincy experience, albiet at an Under 17 level.

I'd probably go with Dennis or Douglas (with Barnes VC).

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Any takers for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? He strikes me as being reasonably intelligent, he has had a lot of experience, and will probably play 80 minutes most games.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
wamberal All those things are definitely true. He doesn't strike as an on field leader though. He needs to be though. He's one of the most experienced players in any team he plays for now.

Captaining from 13 is obviously doable (i.e. Mortlock or BOD) but AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) could also spend time at 14 and 15 where it would be that bit harder.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

TPN is a character of our game, if you want him to become boring make him captain. Mortlock was one crazy SOB until he started getting leadership positions.

That being said, not the worst choice in the world.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
TPN is a character of our game, if you want him to become boring make him captain. Mortlock was one crazy SOB until he started getting leadership positions.

That being said, not the worst choice in the world.

What if making TPN captain caused all his hair to fall out?

The risk just isn't worth it!

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
What if making TPN captain caused all his hair to fall out?

The risk just isn't worth it!

Haha! Though I don't think Islanders typically don't go bald, though I've seen plenty of 18yo Tongans with half a head of grey hair.

There's an upside and downside to most ethnicities genetically.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This bloke has plenty of hair to spare.
Barnes.jpg

I have come to clean ze pool

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
http://sphotos-b.AK (Andrew Kellaway).fbcdn.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-ash4/318094_10151294812072144_355054134_n.jpg

Lopeti Timani certainly looks pretty fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.