• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
Lee, I'm loving your reports from training. How would you compare this pre-season to that of 2012 in terms of the overall vibe of the thing?

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Michael Hooper for captain

Hearing him talk he sounds like an intelligent but average bloke in his early 20s. He's not worldly enough to be captain yet, but he's got strong future potential.

Let him get through this year in peace so he doesn't get "2nd year syndrome" and bring him into a leadership role next year.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Lee, I'm loving your reports from training. How would you compare this pre-season to that of 2012 in terms of the overall vibe of the thing?

Chalk and cheese on the vibe. Foley was a more persuasive style of coach and Cheika is a more demanding one.

Also he is doing the lion's share of the coaching in sessions I have seen - no doubt as a guideline to Gibson and Gaffney about what content and method he wants them to use. But take that with a grain of salt - who knows what has happened in other training sessions?

Heaps of ruck work.

Incidentally McCutcheon is running a bit faster now but nowhere near flat out - and who knows when he will be able to change direction?

IMG_4954-6.jpg

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Chalk and cheese on the vibe. Foley was a more persuasive style of coach and Cheika is a more demanding one.

Also he is doing the lion's share of the coaching in sessions I have seen - no doubt as a guideline to Gibson and Gaffney about what content and method he wants them to use.

I love it that the coach is the one doing the coaching, instead of standing back with arms folded.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
- deception before the ball is received
- deception even if the ball is not received
- making moves before the ball is received, not just after
- running square and passing square
- passers not continuing a run toward a gap needed by the receiver
- soft hand drills
- yarda, yarda

music to my ears

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)

Also he is doing the lion's share of the coaching in sessions I have seen - no doubt as a guideline to Gibson and Gaffney about what content and method he wants them to use. But take that with a grain of salt - who knows what has happened in other training sessions?
Knowing Chiek I bet there is a few more blow ups also!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Hearing him talk he sounds like an intelligent but average bloke in his early 20s. He's not worldly enough to be captain yet, but he's got strong future potential.

Let him get through this year in peace so he doesn't get "2nd year syndrome" and bring him into a leadership role next year.

Agree - I've mentioned before that the although the Tahs have loads of experience in most forward positions (where you would like your skipper to come from) they don't seem to have many forwards who stand out as fellows who can take their team mates by the scruff of the neck.

That opinion could be bunk, but it's the impression I have.

I also mentioned that I hoped that Hooper would step up. He has a vibe about him - or more exactly a brimming confidence - that is compelling, and it could convert into captaincy potential.

IMG_3586e.jpg

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I have no idea if the Tahs will improve in any aspect of back play which many have been talking about in recent posts.

Posters know these things are as old as the hills and will be just as important now as in the past, and will be in the future. One hopes that we will not be talking about them so much next year because they showed improvement in 2013.

What I am 100% sure about is that the Tahs were practising certain things every day I attended training.

- deception before the ball is received
- deception even if the ball is not received
- making moves before the ball is received, not just after
- running square and passing square
- passers not continuing a run toward a gap needed by the receiver
- soft hand drills
- yarda, yarda

I'm not going to report that these were done 100% correctly but I can verify that some colourful language was used.

Cheika does not just comment from the sideline; he is involved as a player in the playing segments at the end of training sessions - and yeah, he does comment.

View attachment 3155
Yes, Cheika's big on players in motion and players working hard for each other off the ball.
The benchmarks are the All Blacks and Melbourne Storm in these areas.
The stragglers are the the Wallabies predictable pick and driving and one out running and rugby league teams running from dummy half.
The challenge for the Waratahs will be the fitness to play this way and the mental toughness to stay at it and not fall back into bad habits.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Agree - I've mentioned before that the although the Tahs have loads of experience in most forward positions (where you would like your skipper to come from) they don't seem to have many forwards who stand out as fellows who can take their team mates by the scruff of the neck.

That opinion could be bunk, but it's the impression I have.

I also mentioned that I hoped that Hooper would step up. He has a vibe about him - or more exactly a brimming confidence - that is compelling, and it could convert into captaincy potential.

View attachment 3160

You could be right. I just went onto the Waratah's website and looked at the full squad; there's noone that jumps out and says "I should be captain" the way a Ritchie McCaw, Brian O'Driscoll, John Eales did.

Assuming that it's going to be someone who's position in the team is reasonably secure, there's not a huge number to pick from. Hooper is one who fits the bill.

T

TOCC

You could be right. I just went onto the Waratah's website and looked at the full squad; there's noone that jumps out and says "I should be captain" the way a Ritchie McCaw, Brian O'Driscoll, John Eales did.

Assuming that it's going to be someone who's position in the team is reasonably secure, there's not a huge number to pick from. Hooper is one who fits the bill.

I'm all for Hooper... Someone like Robinson or Barnes would be the safe choice, but if the Tahs really want to mix things up then someone like Hooper would be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.