• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seriously, Deans needs to publicly explain why Kepu was not picked during our prop crisis last year. This form isn't something new.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah, but he was injured in the lead up and played for the fuckwicks after the squad was announced, IIRC

Incorrect he played three games, in which he took on Fairbrother and demolished him, Alexander, Dunning and Robinson. All the games were prior to the EOYT squad being announced. Kepu was in the extended squad and omitted in favour of Alexander.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
I thought it was a smart move by Deans in not selecting Kepu for the EOYT as it did give him an offseason whilst also allowing Alexander an opportunity to overcome his struggling difficulties after an injury lay-off. It also enabled Slipper to gain a little more test experience which puts Australia in a better position in 2011. Heading into the international season (touch wood for no injuries) we now have three props ready to start in tests Robinson, Kepu and Slipper with another couple needing to prove themselves ready for tests this year in Daley, Alexander (both there open field games are good need to improve in the core skill of scrummaging) and Palmer (needs to improve workrate). There are also left field selections available in Fairbrother, Henderson, Weekes and Blake.

Also, most people were calling for Kepu to be called into the Wallabies to play at 8 rather than prop because of his running game for Randwick, not his scrummaging.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think you can argue it was a positive move. It robbed him of vital experience. Not to mention you need to pick your best side to win games, no excuses when you don't win them.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Kepu didn't show very much in his chances with the Wallabies, whereas Alexander previously had done very well. I really don't think Deans needs to issue a public apology to you for it.

Reactions: GC

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Kepu didn't show very much in his chances with the Wallabies, whereas Alexander previously had done very well. I really don't think Deans needs to issue a public apology to you for it.

Kepu has had all of three tests including one where he blew a calf muscle on the worst dry surface an International has ever been played on. How many tests has Alexander played and how many times has he now been penalised off the park (literally in one instance)? The fact of the matter is I was calling for him to be left at home last year because the scrummaging issues he had on the tour were apparent before he went. The Randwick front row more than held their own against the Eastwood front row containing Robinson, Fitzpatrick, Dunning and Alexander. All test and Super Rugby starting players against just Kepu who had played rep Rugby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z562S3Y6Efk

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Kepu has had all of three tests including one where he blew a calf muscle on the worst dry surface an International has ever been played on.

I agree with the rest of your quote, but that is a ridiculous hyperbole.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I agree with the rest of your quote, but that is a ridiculous hyperbole.

Why is it hyperbole? Did you see the surface of Wembly? More sand than Bondi and about as loose as a Kings Cross professional. I have not seen a worse DRY surface for an international game in the professional era and may only some of the drought effected tests played at the old Concord ground would come close to being as bad.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Kepu was injured for most of the season, coming back after a few games for Randwick wasn't deemed enough, fair enough.

He appears better for the training

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Also, most people were calling for Kepu to be called into the Wallabies to play at 8 rather than prop because of his running game for Randwick, not his scrummaging.

I don't think so! We were calling for him to be selected on the basis of his very good (unexpectedly good) scrummaging against Super quality props and his dynamic play around the park. Around the park his play was as good as Alexanders and his scrummaging was in another universe. I suspect he somehow pissed off one of the selectors in camp. Its the only logical explanation.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)

FFS some people can re-write history. It was me and only me and I said it to illicit comment. I mentioned that Kepu ran the ball freely and showed very good pace for a big unit and could actually play 8 where he had previously. Nobody else said it so your assertion is rubbish.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Why is it hyperbole?

Maybe not hyperbole, but inaccurate.

Kepu was injured against the Barbarians, so this wasn't one of his 3 Tests. He came off the bench against Italy (Padova 2008), France (Paris 2008) and Scotland (Edinburgh 2009).

He didn't injure his ankle, but tore his pectoral. Dunning tore his Achilles in the same scrum.

Never let the facts get in the way of a fiery rant...

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
The problem in my view is that by playing a sub par front row v England we have allowed them to get a mental edge on us, which could be a problem come the semi finals

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I read on RH that Alcock does not have a 2012 contract and may not et one. What is this insanity? I hope the bloke smashes the Sharks because he needs to be in the Tahs fold, especially with Phil breaking down.

Status
Not open for further replies.