• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Brilliant! Absolutely breath-taking in its simplicity.

A wonderful example of the application of Occam’s Razor. As we all know the 14th century logician and Franciscan friar William of Ockham famously observed: "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate", or in the vulgar tongue: "Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily." In practical terms this means that if you have two equally likely solutions to a problem, choose the simplest.

Thus it was that having “undertaken an extensive global search over the past few months” CEO Jason Allen and his very experienced and astute Board came up with an extraordinarily minimalist solution:

Chris Hickey vacates his deck chair on the SS Waratanic and Alan Gaffney promptly sits in it.

Done. Fixed. Finito. What could be simpler?

Of course it had come to the attention of the Marketing Department at Driver Avenue that there was a slight degree of dissatisfaction among the Waratahs supporters this season. As a consequence the Board considered a vast array of possible improvements to what is by any measure already a world class entertainment product. These included some really lateral thinking such as orchestrating the booing as it at least provided some atmosphere at games, and roping off half of the seating in order to save on cleaning costs.

The only measure eventually adopted is to further elevate the level of the sound system and ensure that patrons are treated to an uninterrupted wall of sound from the time they enter the stadium. That way anyone tempted to complain about the hilarious half time entertainment of people making absolute goats of themselves will quickly realise that no one can hear them and therefore will shut up.

In order to maintain stability the current Board and staff will remain unchanged for the next three years, after which the Board may consider whether any further adjustments are required.

Look out Queensland. Here we come.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Yeah, all of that is true, but I'm thrilled that we're the first guys to get Foley as a head coach. He's been gagging for a head coaching job and I reckon he'll do us a lot of good. I'm back on board, Waratahs! :yay

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I am stoked that Gafney, the man I wanted all those months ago has got a start in Oz and especially at the Tahs. I hope we will see some basic skills and flowering play ala Wicks of the 90's. Take note of Barnes comments about playing 15 next year and coming in from there as 2nd playmaker. This would open the way for B Foley at 10, I am dubious about Hangers getting a start next year, he had stagnated under Hickey and is easily countered. Foley has all the skills

T

Tireless Backrower

The best news longer term is that Scott Bowen will get a chance to learn how to be a good skills and backs coach. Having Gaffney as the senior assistant coach will allow him to direct the backs strategy and at the same time teach Bowen from the ground up. Its been said that Bowen is a long term candidate for Aussie coach. Right now that thought is an abomination, but given time and Bowen being open to learn, it could be the making of him.

RH suggested that the Blazers may still be in control, but I think Gaffney and Foley together will be strong enough to keep that away from the team. Won't help improve the backroom management (marketing etc.) but the key thing the Tahs have to do next year is make the final playing adventurous rugby and hopefully win it. That will paper over a lot of the backroom stuff.

Press conferences will be interesting. I understand Foley is far more direct than the "don't say anything" Hickey approach. God help the first SMH cadet who shows his ignorance.

And what about when the SMHs senior rugby writer shows his?

T

Tireless Backrower

Brilliant! Absolutely breath-taking in its simplicity.

A wonderful example of the application of Occam’s Razor. As we all know the 14th century logician and Franciscan friar William of Ockham famously observed: "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate", or in the vulgar tongue: "Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily." In practical terms this means that if you have two equally likely solutions to a problem, choose the simplest.

Thus it was that having “undertaken an extensive global search over the past few months” CEO Jason Allen and his very experienced and astute Board came up with an extraordinarily minimalist solution:

Chris Hickey vacates his deck chair on the SS Waratanic and Alan Gaffney promptly sits in it.

Done. Fixed. Finito. What could be simpler?

Of course it had come to the attention of the Marketing Department at Driver Avenue that there was a slight degree of dissatisfaction among the Waratahs supporters this season. As a consequence the Board considered a vast array of possible improvements to what is by any measure already a world class entertainment product. These included some really lateral thinking such as orchestrating the booing as it at least provided some atmosphere at games, and roping off half of the seating in order to save on cleaning costs.

The only measure eventually adopted is to further elevate the level of the sound system and ensure that patrons are treated to an uninterrupted wall of sound from the time they enter the stadium. That way anyone tempted to complain about the hilarious half time entertainment of people making absolute goats of themselves will quickly realise that no one can hear them and therefore will shut up.

In order to maintain stability the current Board and staff will remain unchanged for the next three years, after which the Board may consider whether any further adjustments are required.

Look out Queensland. Here we come.

I assume the suggestion that board and staff will be unchanged for 3 years is a typo and you meant twenty three years?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
From various press reports, Foley is actively trying to recruit Elsom at the Tahs. Given the backrow losses I reckon we need him badly. Rocky, healthy and in form, would make a huge difference to the team.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
What is wrong with wanting a dominant, driving pack and leveraging pressure?

Totally. Big problem last year was a failure to capitalize on exactly that with poor tactics and linking play. Not to mention skills execution.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
NO!!!!!!! Look to the future break away from Uni thinking altogether. TPN for me.

TPN would be a good captain in the Elsom mould (smart, leads by example, could probably manage the refs better then Rocky) but his problem is that he is down, broken, or can't string together 80 minutes. IMHO, co-captains Vickerman and Barnes may be the way forward. Them or Fatcat, although he doesn't seem like he talks alot on the paddock.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Totally. Big problem last year was a failure to capitalize on exactly that with poor tactics and linking play. Not to mention skills execution.

To me it was to the reaction time to realignment, the big thing the Link had was a side that knew what was going to happen next and where everyone should be.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
If Vickerman was given the captaincy, while I would be salivating over the confrontation the first time Kaplan was scheduled, I would worry that his overall attitude might not work all that well with the refereeing fraternity. I think the ever-smiling TPN with those Sean Fitzpatrick "but we're innocent sir" eyes would manage the whistlers far better. A leadership group of Vickerman, Mumm, Elsom, Barnes and Mitchell would be a very strong group underneath. God help you if you miss an important tackle within range of the death-stares. It could be an end-of-career experience.

I need to get control of myself. So much is starting to go right. A super-coach team of Foley and Gaffney, TPN as captain, a pack that on paper has only one weak spot, some young fast backs who can be coached up to a level to replace Beale, a decent draw so we play some of the strong teams at home for once, it all seems to be coming together. You can't possibly imagine that we'd have as bad an injury list next year as this. I am getting too optimistic, hope is a dangerous thing when you're stuck as the perpetual finals candidate.

Still, I can't wait for the first scrum vs the Reds. Robinson, TPN, Kepu, Vickerman, Timani, Elsom, Palu, Alcock vs the all-backrow front row. Justice is coming.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
NO!!!!!!! Look to the future break away from Uni thinking altogether. TPN for me.

Uni pack thinking with Randwick backline thinking, then merging the two together is the unstoppable force. I'm salivating right now, any more of this and I'll be dribbling uncontrollably.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Ah, I see, it's all down to Uni thinking, whatever that is?
I agree about TPN, but that's about it.

I mean that with a Uni dominated pack and halves the Tahs have played a Uni game plan which works against Shute sides but too often against Super packs the pigs can only get parity at best. They do not attack in depth, or as has been discussed realign fast enough. This is a chance to break away and have as much of a clean start as possible. If I was being provincial I would have thought up a Wicks player to be Cpt.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
How long is Vickerman going to be around? TPN if not broken otherwise TC would make a good candidate for mine - team stalwart, seems to effectiively lead in huddles etc already, relatively young, not likely to be going anywhere and also likely to remain in the starting line-up.

Only problem is he's a back. But maybe that's just me

PS Benn Robinson?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If Vickerman was given the captaincy, while I would be salivating over the confrontation the first time Kaplan was scheduled, I would worry that his overall attitude might not work all that well with the refereeing fraternity. I think the ever-smiling TPN with those Sean Fitzpatrick "but we're innocent sir" eyes would manage the whistlers far better. A leadership group of Vickerman, Mumm, Elsom, Barnes and Mitchell would be a very strong group underneath. God help you if you miss an important tackle within range of the death-stares. It could be an end-of-career experience.

I need to get control of myself. So much is starting to go right. A super-coach team of Foley and Gaffney, TPN as captain, a pack that on paper has only one weak spot, some young fast backs who can be coached up to a level to replace Beale, a decent draw so we play some of the strong teams at home for once, it all seems to be coming together. You can't possibly imagine that we'd have as bad an injury list next year as this. I am getting too optimistic, hope is a dangerous thing when you're stuck as the perpetual finals candidate.

Still, I can't wait for the first scrum vs the Reds. Robinson, TPN, Kepu, Vickerman, Timani, Elsom, Palu, Alcock vs the all-backrow front row. Justice is coming.

Consistency, adaptability of game plan and a move away from excessive use of Stats, not to analyse but excuse will do wonders for the Tahs, along with improvement in basic skills execution.

T

tranquility

TC, seem like a very fitting captain of the Tahs. He does such good post try celebrations as an added bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.