• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Tucked away at the bottom of the article it says:

'Meanwhile, the Waratahs have signed Ireland's backs coach Alan Gaffney as an assistant next year.'

Discuss....

Unbelievably good news. Under Bowen the backs had no system to play. Sure we had lots of injuries, but the whole season consisted of one-out individual efforts (mainly by Kurtley and Schmoo) rather than ensemble play by a backline working together in a system. Added to that, the skills on show were frequently poor.

Wikipedia records his coaching career as: "Alan Gaffney is the Australian-born rugby Coach who has enjoyed considerable success both within and outside Australia. Two notable successes during his time in Ireland were the winning of the Grand Slam of the 2009 Six Nations Championship and the Heineken Cup victory with Leinster Rugby 2009. He is a former player who played over 20 games with the Randwick Rugby Club Sydney, of which he was elected a life member in 1993.

Gaffney began his coaching career at Randwick DRUFC in 1984 and remained there until 1996. During his time at the Club he coached the likes of David Campese, the Ella brothers, Phil Kearns and George Gregan. He left to coach at the NSW Waratahs; he remains closely linked with the Randwick Club."

Without wanting to start a firestorm of Sydney club rivalry, having someone coaching the Tah backline along the old Randwick guidelines (think Ella, Ella, Ella, Campese) brings a warm glow to my heart. There are now two Australian provinces with that system as their base ideology, so the future for Australia looks even brighter. I suspect that some of the lesser Waratah backline players will blossom in 2012. Gaffney's international coaching experience will be invaluable in the push to get the Tahs over the one performance hurdle they haven't yet got, a Super trophy. All at once I've got a spring in my step and a song in my heart. With Foley and Gaffney I reckon I could be head coach and still successful.

The one guy who will be really kicking himself is Kurtley. If he'd stayed, that backline would have been lethal in 2012.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Seems strange to go there as am assistant coach though, unless he just wants to head home.

You would have thought he would have gone for the top job. Though, if Foley takes the head coach role, they could have Foles looking after the pigs, gaff the backs and have muggo on defence. Very similar setup to the Reds.

Sent from my phone

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The interesting question that this raises is what will Gaffney do with Tom Carter? TC is about as far from the Randwick back as can be imagined.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
He is a former player who played over 20 games with the Randwick Rugby Club Sydney, of which he was elected a life member in 1993.

20 games? Shees, they give life memberships to anyone don't they?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Tahs should look into signing jared waerea hargreaves. 22 years old, 110kg, lots of rugby history and tough as nails. I think elsom is heading overseas next year.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
20 games? Shees, they give life memberships to anyone don't they?

This is very close to trolling. I think the long coaching stint (84-96) might have something to do with it, the sort of teams he coached during the golden years plus the esteem he's held in at the club.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
The interesting question that this raises is what will Gaffney do with Tom Carter? TC is about as far from the Randwick back as can be imagined.

I suspect that Tom Carter might actually blossom under Gaffney. TC has shown glimpses of other skills, particularly this year, and a great coach will bring those to the fore.

This appointment does suggest that the Tahs are very determined to go well the next two years. I think a lot of good young backs will be clambering over each other to make the squad with a coach of that stature.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
This is very close to trolling. I think the long coaching stint (84-96) might have something to do with it, the sort of teams he coached during the golden years plus the esteem he's held in at the club.

Quite a few Club people have been awarded/Lauded with Life Memberships and never played a game at any level simply because of their great service to the club and players who played 100+ games don't get this recognition because they don't dedicate so much time and personal rescources to the Club.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I wonder if losing the captaincy will push Elsom to head back overseas next year rather than sign with the Tahs, as had seemed likely.

Thoughts?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Lots of factors, family mainly I'd think. Lions tour coming too. If he does decide to do the superannuation thing - fair enough - but I think he'd seriously limit his prospects at being in the Wallabies for that tour. I can see him staying and wanting to play Tahs.

V

vikingbrad

I wonder if losing the captaincy will push Elsom to head back overseas next year rather than sign with the Tahs, as had seemed likely.

Thoughts?

Reckon Rocky has left himself open to head back overseas. Don't think ARU would be happy with Wallabies captain heading overseas, so that is one reason he 'resigned' the captaincy.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I have said all along that I thought he would be going post RWC. DO not be surprised if he signs a contract post Super 15 2012 to qualify for the Wallabies in 2013 for the Lions tour.

I still think the Tahs are better off with Mowen and Dennis.

Status
Not open for further replies.