• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah Gnostic, fight the power! Stick it to the man!

Yes I wouldn't have picked Dennis at the start of season 2010, or even season 2011. But it was obvious by the final game that he has developed into a far better player than Mowen, and as a result it was DD that was picked in the Wallaby squad and not Mowen. Even with Mowen on the NSW roster he would be riding the pine in game 1 of 2012 Elsom or no Elsom.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah Gnostic, fight the power! Stick it to the man!

Yes I wouldn't have picked Dennis at the start of season 2010, or even season 2011. But it was obvious by the final game that he has developed into a far better player than Mowen, and as a result it was DD that was picked in the Wallaby squad and not Mowen. Even with Mowen on the NSW roster he would be riding the pine in game 1 of 2012 Elsom or no Elsom.

You forget that Mowen did his knee playing for the Wicks at the end of last year and was not fit to tour so wasn't considered, and in any event Deans continued to select all sorts of strange people so Wallaby selection by Deans is hardly a huge merit award in my book.

In any event don't try and change point of tack, you stated that it was a fair call to dump him for only wanting a one year contract which other asked for and got, and he could well have had very good reasons for only wanting a one year contract especially if he was only to be a bench player behind Palu and Elsom and the fact that the coaching issues were not and still remain unresolved.

So my statements that he was the most consistant Tahs forward over the last two years are still correct and he deserved better than the treatment he got if the only reason for his rejection was a one year request. There can be no doubt it has left the Tahs in a pecarious position especially if Elsom doesn't sign or even ends up like he has for the Mules and play minimal games.

U

Uncle Pete

What is going on with the coach? Anyone know the process specifically? What are they waiting for exactly?

Edit, maybe tah central is waiting to see if PdV becomes available after this years RWC to continue the practice of importing coachs from our 3N partners. He would be front page of the daily tele everyday.

I think he should run the joint - CEO or coaching director: he needs the biggest possible canvass on which to wreak his particular kind of havoc. At least having him run it would be a step towards sanity from their present location in the outer solar system.

U

Uncle Pete

The wait on coach is perplexing... the only thing which I guess is good is that only one or two spots in the squad are left, therefore they're not missing out on signings because of the coach. Link didn't get to recruit any of his 2010 squad and still did very well, and whoever coaches next year is starting from a better performance and talent base than Link. Still, you'd think that by now an announcement would be made, particularly given memberships/draw will be launched soon and RWC ain't far away...

This in itself highlights a problem and provides a coach with a ready made reason for 1 or 2 seasons of under performance while he clears out the timber left over from the previous guy's plans.

But let's compound the problem by having the Tahs CEO discuss the attraction of signing Sonny Bill Williams for season 2014 - as he did this week. This was wrong on so many levels: what does it say about Rob Horne and/or Adam Ashely-Copper (who they've just signed); how much say does the coach whose future hinges on it have in selecting players; what are they saying to the 18, 19, 20 and 21 year olds running around in club/academy etc. about where they see them in 2 seasons?

The whole place is rotten - they should burn them down and start again with a clean slate. Every contract form here on should give the Tahs an opt out if they don't finish in, say, the top 4 in any given season.

U

Uncle Pete

Some of the gains and losses don't take into account alot of the Waratah combos have been broken. New halves, new full back, possible midfield changes and if Elsom arrives new back row. Maybe the Tahs should have gone on a trip overseas.

there's still time - just dont come back.

As for working in their marketing department, what a joke: that's the only department that produces anything visible but it bears no resemblance to the "product".

No self respecting province in australia will take elsom - which means its a race between the Tahs and the Rebels

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
You forget that Mowen did his knee playing for the Wicks at the end of last year and was not fit to tour so wasn't considered, and in any event Deans continued to select all sorts of strange people so Wallaby selection by Deans is hardly a huge merit award in my book.

In any event don't try and change point of tack, you stated that it was a fair call to dump him for only wanting a one year contract which other asked for and got, and he could well have had very good reasons for only wanting a one year contract especially if he was only to be a bench player behind Palu and Elsom and the fact that the coaching issues were not and still remain unresolved.

So my statements that he was the most consistant Tahs forward over the last two years are still correct and he deserved better than the treatment he got if the only reason for his rejection was a one year request. There can be no doubt it has left the Tahs in a pecarious position especially if Elsom doesn't sign or even ends up like he has for the Mules and play minimal games.

Three points:

1. Dennis was picked in the 40 man squad at the end of THIS season. Mowen was not.

2. The Tahs don't do one year deals. So you say he was dumped for asking for a one-year deal 'which others asked for and got', when at the Tahs NO-ONE got a one-year deal. Why should Ben Mowen be the exception?

2. The Tahs never dumped Mowen. They merely turned down his request for a one-year deal, promting him to look elsewhere. From what I have heard the Tahs never closed the door on him, he merely chose to go somewhere else. Big difference.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
2. The Tahs don't do one year deals. So you say he was dumped for asking for a one-year deal 'which others asked for and got', when at the Tahs NO-ONE got a one-year deal. Why should Ben Mowen be the exception?

Barnes, Cross and McKibbin all signed 1 year deals in the last few years... sure there's plenty more if you looked deeper into it.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well I stand corrected then. I was told it was their policy, obviously I was mistaken.

My point still stands though, Mowen was not 'dumped', he just went elsewhere after having his request for a one-year deal (which are still a rarity at the Tahs) turned down. By all accounts the Tahs were keen to have him but not on the terms he offered them.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Barnes, Cross and McKibbin all signed 1 year deals in the last few years... sure there's plenty more if you looked deeper into it.

Barnes had a 1 + 1 deal, and he was big at the time.

McKibben was on a one year deal with the Junior Tahs, and then upgraded to a full contract, as there was no room in the squad.

Cross is just a has-been.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But the Tahs regretted their decision and tried to renegotiate...

Mowan winds up signing a TWO year deal with the Brumbies...

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Barnes had a 1 + 1 deal, and he was big at the time.

McKibben was on a one year deal with the Junior Tahs, and then upgraded to a full contract, as there was no room in the squad.

Cross is just a has-been.

I'm sure there are lots of others out there #1 Tah. The funny thing is, Mowen was originally only offered a 1 year deal when he signed with the Waratahs in 2008..

T

tranquility

Well I stand corrected then. I was told it was their policy, obviously I was mistaken.

My point still stands though, Mowen was not 'dumped', he just went elsewhere after having his request for a one-year deal (which are still a rarity at the Tahs) turned down. By all accounts the Tahs were keen to have him but not on the terms he offered them.

You are seriously deluded if you don't think Mowen was pushed out the door, he is one of the most humble blokes in the comp. His old man does his deals for him, so to suggest that he was being difficult in the negotiating process is more than a bit rich.

U

Uncle Pete

Mowen being punted fits a lot better with the Tahs history than that he proved too difficult in negotiation.
The other aspect is that if you were a s15 franchise it would impress you if a bloke was prepared to back himself by only wanting a year - even if you took the view that his prime motivation was to be able to get a better deal at the end of that year. If he got injured or had a bad year or even if he fell out with the coach the franchise would have the upper hand at the end of the year if it wanted to keep him.

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
What is going on with the coach? Anyone know the process specifically? What are they waiting for exactly?

Edit, maybe tah central is waiting to see if PdV becomes available after this years RWC to continue the practice of importing coachs from our 3N partners. He would be front page of the daily tele everyday.

Graham Henry will probably be available late October/early November. Maybe he can get the Tahs sorted out.

K

Keithy

How would Saturday arvo work with club being played at all levels. If they play in February the heat could factor for the players. In March club trials start.

Status
Not open for further replies.