• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
What is going on with the coach? Anyone know the process specifically? What are they waiting for exactly?

Edit, maybe tah central is waiting to see if PdV becomes available after this years RWC to continue the practice of importing coachs from our 3N partners. He would be front page of the daily tele everyday.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Normally the decision on a change of a coach, or his retention, happens at the board meeting where the review of the season is discussed. It can happen earlier as when Link was told his contract wouldn't be renewed. That can occur when the chairman calls other board members to get a consensus that a change is needed.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
The wait on coach is perplexing... the only thing which I guess is good is that only one or two spots in the squad are left, therefore they're not missing out on signings because of the coach. Link didn't get to recruit any of his 2010 squad and still did very well, and whoever coaches next year is starting from a better performance and talent base than Link. Still, you'd think that by now an announcement would be made, particularly given memberships/draw will be launched soon and RWC ain't far away...

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Changes in 2012 Tahs compared to 2011

Props – Possibility that Fat Cat needs an operation that will delay the start of his season; Baxter retired; Ryan therefore to get more game time and whilst he is a keeper the 2012 prop effect at the minute is ….. LOSS

Hooker – Fitzpatrick missed a lot of the 2011 season. Not as hard a player as Ulugia but a better thrower most of the time and better linker. Since Ulugia is still in the stable, Slight GAIN

2nd Row – Vickerman playing whole season. Timani (probably) missing start of season and (probably) returning after Japan season.... GAIN provided Timani is back and doesn't miss many matches.

Backrow 7 – Waugh was out a bit this year so Alcock got a lot of time anyway. But Waugh will be missed because of his tight work and as a leader on the park. Slight LOSS

Backrow 6/8 – Mowen discarded without a replacement being recruited at time of writing. LOSS, but will be balanced if Palu can play a lot of games which he didn't in 2011 and another 6/8, missing at the moment, is decent.

Scrumhalf – Pretorius superior to Burgess on attack but Burgo's 9th forward type defence and big match play will be missed. Slight LOSS

Flyhalf – Assume Barnes to be healthy all season and Foley (if indeed contracted) to threaten for bench spot. If Barnes is indeed healthy.... GAIN

Centres – Cross gone; Horne to play more matches; Kingston a year older; then perhaps Foley playing well enough for Barnes to be an option at 12 (or perhaps even vice versa) ..... Slight GAIN

Wingers – Assuming Mitchell will play more games, and BKH healthy ... Slight GAIN

Fullback – Sob – Beale gone and probably replaced by AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). LOSS and arguably having more effect than the total of all the gains.

Not a great net effect is it?

[Cue some suggestions about the coach GAIN or LOSS?]

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Changes in 2012 Tahs compared to 2011

[Cue some suggestions about the coach GAIN or LOSS?]

Shouldn't that be coaches?

Given Bowen's inability to skills coach the backline then if we lost him that would be a major gain.

If however we were to lose Foley that would be a massive loss, worse in my mind than losing Beale which I regard as the greatest disaster since the Hindenburgh.

Apart from some rumours that Foley didn't want the top job and a cast of thousands being put up as head coach possibilities, whoever knows what's happening is clearly staying silent and us Tah fans are just gnawing our fingers and hoping somebody is doing something before Christmas.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I still have hopes to see Foley remain as forwards coach with either Alan Gafney or Tim Lane taking over the role of head coach.

RE:- Vickerman LG- I wouldn't be surprised to see him "injured" and retire post RWC.
RE:- 6/8 - I expect Dennis to make big inroads next year as long as Elsom is not (please oh please) signed by the Tahs.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Really? I think you blokes will be looking oretty thin if you don't get him. I would be crossing my fingers for his signature if I were a Tahs supporter.

I would rather have kept Mowen and it shows how poor Hickey's management is to let him go.

In any event I really don't think Elsom will be playing in Oz next year.

T

tranquility

Losing Mowen is one of the silliest management lapses in recent times, especially as their was no back-up plan. I was bemused when some punters where saying, "ah well it's only Mowen" "rugby is a business" "Players move on" etc. The fact that he wanted to stay, and was turned away is incredibly difficult to understand.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I spoke to Brendan McKibben today at Easts and Mummsey last week at Uni, they have NFI what going on at HQ either.

Cam Jowitt will be working in the marketing department as soon as he finishes his degree though.

K

Keithy

Some of the gains and losses don't take into account alot of the Waratah combos have been broken. New halves, new full back, possible midfield changes and if Elsom arrives new back row. Maybe the Tahs should have gone on a trip overseas.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Losing Mowen is one of the silliest management lapses in recent times, especially as their was no back-up plan. I was bemused when some punters where saying, "ah well it's only Mowen" "rugby is a business" "Players move on" etc. The fact that he wanted to stay, and was turned away is incredibly difficult to understand.

That's rubbish, he only wanted to sign a one-year contract and the Tahs rightly told him to get stuffed. So he looked around and thought he would get a better deal at the Brumbies. Hardly the Tahs fault.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
According to Terry Smith in his "BarflyBuzz" column in Rugby News, Tim Lane was told a week ago that he wouldn't be getting the Tahs coaching job.

His guess is that Foley is the favourite.

Good to see Rob Horne close to his best at Forshaw today for SD v Randwick, and BKH looking good playing 15. Lopeti had a good 25 mins from the bench. A smokey for a fullback rookie could be the other Foley, Sean. The Oz 7s player had a top all round game for Randwick including kicking from hand. Watch this space on S.Foley.

I panned scrummie Grayson Hart last week but he had a top game for SD today. Another space to watch - only problem is: he can't get a rookie contract as he has already appeared in the S14 for the Blues.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
That's rubbish, he only wanted to sign a one-year contract and the Tahs rightly told him to get stuffed. So he looked around and thought he would get a better deal at the Brumbies. Hardly the Tahs fault.

Well then by that ideal Quade should have been knocked back by the Reds and ARU and a couple of other players as well if memory serves. Regardless of the length of contract he wanted Mowen has been the best and most consistant forward for the Tahs in the last two years. Plain stupidity to let him walk especially since he probably wanted a one year contract just in case Elsom did come to the Tahs and he ended up getting splinters.

Cyril Towers (30)
Didn't see the woodies v easts game today, but is pauliasi a possibility for a back row spot? He's been a great player when not injured which hasn't been often lately.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Woodies spanked the beasties good and proper with Perret and Alcock dominant in the backrow. Fitzpatrick also played a good game with the scrum more or less dominant and good lineout work.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Didn't see the woodies v easts game today, but is pauliasi a possibility for a back row spot? He's been a great player when not injured which hasn't been often lately.

Paulisi is a great player and a good leader, but he is 28

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well then by that ideal Quade should have been knocked back by the Reds and ARU and a couple of other players as well if memory serves. Regardless of the length of contract he wanted Mowen has been the best and most consistant forward for the Tahs in the last two years. Plain stupidity to let him walk especially since he probably wanted a one year contract just in case Elsom did come to the Tahs and he ended up getting splinters.

Are you comparing Quade Cooper to Ben Mowen? Give me a break. And he has been the best and most consistent forward? Well if 'consistent' you mean 'not getting injured' then fair enough. But in terms of quality in the forward pack he is well behind Fatcat, TPN, Palu, Kepu, Timani, Palu and Dennis.

With Elsom in blue we won't miss him for a second. Even without Elsom I still rate Dennis a superior player at 6 or 8.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Paulisi is a great player and a good leader, but he is 28

I think Australian rugby needs to ditch this school of thought. It's a well known fact that many forwards don't reach their peak until much later than backs, mid-20's being the mean, and yet at the same time we write off so many quality players because they're on the other side of 25.

Actually, don't just ditch this school of thought. Burn it to the fucking ground.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Are you comparing Quade Cooper to Ben Mowen? Give me a break. And he has been the best and most consistent forward? Well if 'consistent' you mean 'not getting injured' then fair enough. But in terms of quality in the forward pack he is well behind Fatcat, TPN, Palu, Kepu, Timani, Palu and Dennis.

With Elsom in blue we won't miss him for a second. Even without Elsom I still rate Dennis a superior player at 6 or 8.

Give you a break? You are the one that brought up contracts and the one year as a reason to refuse, or is that an arbitary rule. Well you are on your own there as Mowen has kept Dennis out of the starting side for two years whenever he and Palu were both fit. I rate Dennis very highly, but if was indeed so superior to Mowen he would have kept the latter on the bench. And as I said he has been the most consistant with all those you state as better than him spending most of their time injured in the last two years except Timani who started two games? and was reserve for a couple of others. I would strongly suggest that if your other man crush of Vickerman had been available for the Tahs this year Timani wouldn't have got near the bench to even get his chance.

But don't let that get in the way of your continued effusive support of the establishments and whatever they choose to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.