• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Rookies:

If the Foley rumour is true and I really hope it is, then who should get the other four spots? My suggestions would be:

1. Greg Peterson. I'd like to see him off the bench a couple of times next year to see if he can step up to Super level
  2. Lopeti Timani. I'm a great believer in genetics
    [*]Miles McCaffrey. We have to develop a new 7 and if no one likes Jenkins he might be the one. Alternatively Bruce likes the look of David Hickey and he does have mongrel. Mongrel properly directed (see Phil Waugh) is an essential part of a good 7.
    [*]Tim Bennetts. Has been tearing it up in Shute.

both gone to the Force

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
You don't think much of us, do you LG!

Those who haven't used that sort of toilet or had any experience of the sano man cannot have any idea of what is being talked about. Even if we told you, you would not believe it. Its like being born into a world without I-phones - a reversion to the dark ages.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Yes but surprisingly, Hawko, I can read and "add two and two".

Shit still stinks these days, you know... ;)

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
both gone to the Force

I thought it was Locky McCaffrey. I'm talking about his brother Miles.

Gutted about losing Bennetts. I wanted him drafted in for the bench this year when we were playing Anesi so much. Hickey conservatism means we have lost a potential star.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
just a thought - IF SBW signs at the Tahs, where does this leave the reports Quade and SBW were keen to play together in the coming years?

W

waves

Jenkins released, Bennets trialling and Locky McCaffrey signed Force not Miles.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Yes but surprisingly, Hawko, I can read and "add two and two".

Shit still stinks these days, you know... ;)

On the morning that the sano man came, as kids we were kept inside the house until the outhouse was clear. The gentlemen themselves when they came around could be detected by smell from about 30 metres. As kids we found it funny, but you wouldn't want to be one. Think the portaloo Tooheys ad times 10.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I thought it was Locky McCaffrey. I'm talking about his brother Miles.

Gutted about losing Bennetts. I wanted him drafted in for the bench this year when we were playing Anesi so much. Hickey conservatism means we have lost a potential star.

OK, Bennetts has been pretty good this season, but he hasn't looked great in previous seasons. I think he needed the kick in the arse Kingston gave him to knuckle down.

Miles is too young i reckon

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Great moments in journalism. The fact that there would be no possibility of a top up from the ARU with Williams having played for the All Blacks didn't discourage our man Pandaram from grinding out a quick 700 words when faced with a copy deadline and nothing rugby related to write about.

Of course the comment from Waratahs CEO Jason Allen more or less gives the game away: ''If the question is would we ever want him in our squad if we could fulfil any financial demands - of course, without a doubt."

The financial buoyancy at Driver Avenue puts the disclaimer, "if we could fulfil any financial demands", on a par with classic hypotheticals like: "if I win Lotto" and "If your aunty had balls ..."

He would draw at least 5000 extra paying customers every time he played in a home game. How much would that be worth for a season?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
He would draw at least 5000 extra paying customers every time he played in a home game. How much would that be worth for a season?

Well, for a ball park $100 ticket average for 9 games, 5000 seats = $4.5M. You could play around with the numbers a bit, but it will be in that order. Most of that income would be profit because there wouldn't be too many incidental costs I should think.

5,000 is a lot of spectators to average every game for 9 games tho. However he's also likely to become the most effective centre in rugby next year, which boosts the Tahs shot at winning, which = sales....

Yeah, I expect its fair to say the CEO would have him. Never happen tho, its just a sneaky play by a player manager pouring fuel on the blues v chiefs duel. Crap for SBWs rep tho. Khoder Nasser must be a pleasure to negotiate with.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
HE has been going on and on about being close to his family.

Not going to happen. SMH need to employ rugby journalists and fire the tabloid hacks.

T

tranquility

I hope that Bennett's bloke gets snapped up by the Force. From all reports, he has the class to be good 13. These are rare, and if he can't get a go at the Tahs he should move on instead of attempting to get a wing spot. The Force also need a big classy center as well, so I hope he has a good tour.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Hawko

1. Peterson has not been in great form this year and is recovering from a shoulder reconstruction suffered at the IRB U/20 tournament. He's too good a player to be ignored though and I hope that he gets a rookie contract.

2. Lopeti has got the genes but don't forget that Timani needed a few goes in the S14 to come right.

3. As I have mentioned before Miles Mac is not developed enough to have a rookie contract IMO though he has already played in 1st Grade and could be considered for 2013. Hickey is the type of hard player and borderline nutter needed as the 3rd string fetcher.

4. Bennetts is being trialled on tour with the Force in Samoa. I agree with everybody that he is a class player at club level but as I mentioned at the time when Kingston was contracted before the 2011 season: Bennetts would look at moving elsewhere. Who could blame him?

R

RonnieP

Lopeti has a perfect build for an 8 but I have been hugely disappointed in him this year. Seen a fair bit of him for the Junior Tahs and Southern and amazed how soft he is in contact given his size. Against Tonga A got absolutely hammered. Can't see him going much further.

I think you'll find Bernard Foley signed top squad contract so will be included in main 30.

Also Afusipa Taumoepeau agreed with Tah's for extended squad.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lopeti has a perfect build for an 8 but I have been hugely disappointed in him this year. Seen a fair bit of him for the Junior Tahs and Southern and amazed how soft he is in contact given his size. Against Tonga A got absolutely hammered. Can't see him going much further.

I think you'll find Bernard Foley signed top squad contract so will be included in main 30.

Also Afusipa Taumoepeau agreed with Tah's for extended squad.

Japan beckons for this kid...

Fringe squad member of 3 teams in 3 years...

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
What exactly is"ëxtended squad"? Is this players outside the 35 player main squad and academy structure who are warehoused by S15 franchises on a very modest earner and the promise of maybe breaking into the squad? Something like Beau Robinson was in Qld this year perhaps?

If that's the case then Sipa looks to be making retro steps. Agree Slim, Japan or elsewhere o/s might be the way to go. He doesn't seem to have been given too many opportunities at Super level.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
It is official for Ryan Cross playing in Perpignan during the World Cup... approximately 8 games.
But what it planned for him to play with the Tahs in 2012 anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.