• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
In regards to Dean Mumm, he had an excellent Spring Tour a couple of years ago where he led the midweek Wallaby team.

My read on Dean is that all he needs is to be freshened up. He's still a young bloke and missing the cut for the World Cup could work to his long term benefit.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I'm quite excited about the potential of Bernard Foley next season. I think his play is developing very quickly. I definitely think he should be preferred to Halangahu by the start of the season.

Ummmmm, what ? When did this happen ? Foley is flat out tieing his own shoelaces, I wouldn't trust this bloke to post a letter, let alone set a backline alight. He has been anonymous in a Sydney Uni backline blessed with golden front foot ball. He's a runner (Hangers lite) and not a playmaker. How do blokes who don't cut it at club rugby (10 levels below NRL first grade rugby league) get gifted professional rugby spots ?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Ummmmm, what ? When did this happen ? Foley is flat out tieing his own shoelaces, I wouldn't trust this bloke to post a letter, let alone set a backline alight. He has been anonymous in a Sydney Uni backline blessed with golden front foot ball. He's a runner (Hangers lite) and not a playmaker. How do blokes who don't cut it at club rugby (10 levels below NRL first grade rugby league) get gifted professional rugby spots ?

Not in the uni games I've watched, which is admittedly only 3 of them.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Not in the uni games I've watched, which is admittedly only 3 of them.

Foley lacks game management skills so far. His current "game" is running to the gain line and stepping or short passing in traffic.

Barnes looks a total genius in comparison.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Foley lacks game management skills so far. His current "game" is running to the gain line and stepping or short passing in traffic.

Comparing Foley who is 21 and has played about 15 minutes of Super Rugby to Berrick Barnes who has played almost 70 Super Rugby games and 31 tests for the Wallabies seems a little unfair.

All I was saying is that I like what I've seen of Foley so far. He's been really impressive for Uni in the last couple of games. I think he'll develop into a pretty useful player.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

The talent is there, though. Hopefully the game management skills will develop sooner rather than later.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The talent is there, though. Hopefully the game management skills will develop sooner rather than later.

Let us hope, I like that he attacks the line, but so far he hasn't shown they plethora of other skills a decent 10 needs, even as Naza stated from the comfortable lounge chair created by the Uni pigs.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
In the backs, though, overall I think the Tahs are a loss for next year, as Beale is irreplaceable, especially with the role he played.

Definitely the strength will be the pack (outside of the question mark over 7) - the Tahs will have perhaps the best front row in the comp, if TPN stays healthy and Robinson recovers well from his knee op. I think the Tahs would have the second best lock pairing in the Aus conference too, with plenty of depth at lock and blindside / number 8 as well. If Cutch or Alcock shine, that's a pack that should win plenty of games by themselves next season.

The big thing for me is who will play fullback. I guess they plan for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) so far, but I still think his best position long term is 13, where they have the talented Horne. Fullback is the biggest question mark for me, as Beale was the spark that would often set the Tahs alight last season.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Why did they let Mowen and Beale go? Idiots.

I don't think any Tahs fans understand this. Mowen was a revelation in 2011.

The saddest thing about Beale leaving is that he was absolutely scintillating at the end of the Super Rugby season. It just rubbed salt into the wounds.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

Good old naz.

I saw B.Foley play at 10 for Uni against Southern Districts a couple of weeks ago and he had a top all round game. He mixed up his game well, made some creative passes short and long and what surprised me: put a couple of tactical kicks in the corner, which with good chasing forced Souths to scramble and kick for line badly.

I went there to see Horne in his 2nd game back but it was B. Foley that took my eye. Sure, he was playing behind a dominant pack but it wasn't his fault. Barnes was brilliant in that game at 12 and they combined well; so that is another thought.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Been on my mind for awhile, as with Mowen, wonder if Beale wanted more than just the standard two year contract that most get with the Tahs?

There's got to be a reason other than just wanting a change of scenery...

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
credit%20liquidity%20money%20pile%2050%20100%20dollars.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.