• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
If rocky comes back I'm not sure mumm would be in the starting side anymore, you have Douglas, timani and vickerman in the second row, rocky on the side and Dennis covering on the bench, he might find a 22 spot a challenge. It would definitely be between him and Kane.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
If rocky comes back I'm not sure mumm would be in the starting side anymore, you have Douglas, timani and vickerman in the second row, rocky on the side and Dennis covering on the bench, he might find a 22 spot a challenge. It would definitely be between him and Kane.

That's what they should be aiming for. With everyone fit, there's good competition for spots. If someone is injured (which is bloody likely), there's good cover for each position.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
That's what they should be aiming for. With everyone fit, there's good competition for spots. If someone is injured (which is bloody likely), there's good cover for each position.

Absolutely agree, was bringing it up in reference to mumm not being club captain due to him not being a guaranteed selection, prefer a captain that's first picked in his position like Tom Carter.

T

TheNextBigThing

You'd think if the captaincy went to the backs it would be Drewster or Turner. They're the backs that are part of the leadership team and have captained the team in the later stages of games in the past.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
As I posted two or three pages back, Jenkins 2011 stats on a per game basis makes Saffy look ordinary, which is a bloody hard thing to do! JJ's tackling stats are significantly better than Pocock's stats.

You're getting out of context, I was merely correcting the belief that Jenkins' 31 tackles in one game, whilst impressive, was (implied easily) the most of the year. If I recall correctly, Saffy hit 40 in several games.

But as Baabaa said, it's hard to judge a 3-game replacement player against one that played a full season, especially one that was often solid when many among his team around him weren't. All you can do is say that Jenkins deserves more of a chance, which I agree with.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
So when is this whole "where is Rocky going to play?" issue going to get settled?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
There is more to a players ability than what we as spectator's see in the few matches the team play - he has been part of the academy this year, and as such has probably had the opportunity to impress the coaching staff not only with on field performance, but potentially in training runs, with his skills, with his dedication to the off field preparaton or his rugby brain. What we see of these players is the head poking out of the turtle, or the tip of the iceberg.

I was going to write that but it would have taken me twice as many words.

If T. Kingston could be given a contract before playing first grade (or maybe he had played one game) based on training and attitude then B.Foley could get one too. And no doubt the Tahs clipboard men have seen Foley start for Sydney Uni recently before the return of Hangers and Barnes.

The only problem I have with B. Foley is his name. How seriously will opponents take a bloke called Bernard?

I've got a theory that SAffers have an unfair advantage with the scary names of their players. Names like Gurthro, Schalk, Heinrich and Ryno drip menace. They even have a guy called Beast FFS. They used to have a player called Selborne Boome; his name was worth 3 points every game, the bastard.

We have Bens and bloody Als; and how scary is f****** Quade? Now we have a Bernard.

We don't have chance I tell youse.

Time to sign up more fellows like Hardman.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
bernard isnt scary but you have to have a go at coming up with a nicname before you write it off, even coming up with some sort of newspaper headline, surely there is something that can stick.

"diehard bernard" rhymes, therefore we take it the next step and his nicname can be "yippee ki yay" the crowd can scream it and after he grounds the ball he can yell out "motherf#@kers" to both acknowledge the crowd and tell the other team there place. all of a sudden he is one scary dude.

Crow

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I think TPN and Berrick are too risky. You can't have your captain wandering off injured in every second game.
I doubt BB will be back, and if TPN doesn't change something, he'll go the same way.

Elsom certainly has the CV to pull it off, but he hasn't been with the Tahs for some time and may be seen as something of a blow in. I doubt whether he could be quickly accepted into the culture, or change to match the culture. But this doesn't give us a long list of candidates. Douglas, Robinson, McCutcheon, Kepu, Palu? The squad is missing a few experienced heads from this season. I could throw in the ever present Tom Carter, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of Captains who are centres at the moment. The obvious exception being Mortlock.

R

Red Rooster

You're getting out of context, I was merely correcting the belief that Jenkins' 31 tackles in one game, whilst impressive, was (implied easily) the most of the year. If I recall correctly, Saffy hit 40 in several games.

But as Baabaa said, it's hard to judge a 3-game replacement player against one that played a full season, especially one that was often solid when many among his team around him weren't. All you can do is say that Jenkins deserves more of a chance, which I agree with.

While Saffy was compiling extraordinary tackle stats the rest of his team mates were not making any at all

Status
Not open for further replies.