• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Alcock is okay, but he must learn to tackle better. Neither he nor McCutcheon showed enough this season to ensure they are the long-term solution at 7.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Alcock is okay, but he must learn to tackle better. Neither he nor McCutcheon showed enough this season to ensure they are the long-term solution at 7.

Thats not a particularly easy thing to do when you come off the bench and replace P.Waugh.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Watching the Eastwood game on the weekend I got the impression that a lot of Alcock's tackling issues stem from his efforts to remain in a good position to pilfer the ball once the tackle has been made.

He's still developing. But would I be right in suggesting that Jono Jenkins would be the perfect foil for him?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Thats not a particularly easy thing to do when you come off the bench and replace P.Waugh.

Waugh was injured most of the season -- they both had chances and both had mixed results.

Watching the Eastwood game on the weekend I got the impression that a lot of Alcock's tackling issues stem from his efforts to remain in a good position to pilfer the ball once the tackle has been made.

He's still developing. But would I be right in suggesting that Jono Jenkins would be the perfect foil for him?

You could be right, DPK. Is Jenkins signed somewhere yet? I've lost track.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think Alcock over reads at time, he runs out of the line trying to close off plays and too often misses

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Jono Jenkins is a very underrated player IMO

In one of the games for the Force this year he made 31 tackles! That is many ahead of any other players in any game this season I think.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

In one of the games for the Force this year he made 31 tackles! That is many ahead of any other players in any game this season I think.

Maybe the people who write the contracts have forgotten about Ed and are wondering why Jono is seagulling all the time.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

I suggest you go look at some stats. For Aus players alone, Saffy would be a good place to start.

But I agree that Jenkins has shown enough in his limited opportunities to get a contract as a shadow open side.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
As far as I know (because it was mentioned by Lance Free on the Force thread) JJ was cut by the Force. Can this be confirmed or denied with certainty without "I thinks" which I don't want to know about?

Sorry to express the question in that way, but I just want clarity as it colours my assessment of him which is a high one at the club level. He wouldn't be the first back-up openside to be cut in Oz pro rugby, as we all know, but it forms part of the picture.

K

Keithy

I know Bernard Foley has agreed to terms with the tahs for 2 seasons this week. Knocked back an offer from the Rebels to play with his Colts halfback and good friend Nick Phipps. Thats Barnes, Hangers and Foley for the tahs all at 10. No room to shift to the centres with carter, cross, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and horne. Looks like Uni will have a S15 10 playing next season.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Those Force selectors must be hard markers, I thought Jenkins was outstanding - 53 tackles made, 1 missed in 205 minutes of game time. That's an average of 21 tackles per game with virtually a 98% success rate. If there are better tackling stats in the Super comp I've definitely missed them; Saffy was a dud by comparison and Pocock got only 17 per game with a higher missed tackle percentage. If I was Jono Jenkins I'd be very pissed off to get canned on those stats.

Lala Lam is a don't know for me. But our provinces don't have a great record on talent evaluation. Jack Lam was looked at and rejected by our provinces and this year was one of the Hurricanes best (yes I know the Hurricanes weren't so hot, but they were better than three of our provinces). I'd like to see Lala get a go, what I saw of him in Shute was impressive, but maybe he only plays OK when the match is televised.

Identifying the best talent and bringing them on is the most difficult skill for a coach, but I don't think the Tahs have a great track record post-Link. In making the statements I have, I guess I set myself up as an authority with keyboard experience only, but I think the facts (stats) speak for themselves on Jenkins vs Alcock and McCutcheon. On Lam, I'd just love to see him get an opportunity to prove his worth. I think he'd do OK.

100% He was great this year, consistantly good, had him for my fantasy team for much of the season. You would think one of the Aus teams wouldve been smart enough to have picked him up.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
if the rumours are true and foley isnt taking over as coach i hope its based on his decision, he could well have been qld coach right now if the tahs had released him and from talking to him over the last couple of years a progression plan was in place.

a couple of rumours spreaing round that the tahs are looking outside the box for the new coach though. interesting times.

Status
Not open for further replies.