• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
When is that going to happen? Are they waiting to see if he makes the finals? Would want to sort it out pretty soon I would have thought as most guys would be trying to lock things away. Unless Foley has been told it is his then I guess there is no rush.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
You canstop the hickey hate, it's a 2012 thread he won't be around.

I'm about 90% sure you're right on Hickey's departure WJ, and its not hate, he's a decent human being but a limited coach. My major concern is that what he is doing now will cruel our chances in 2012 because we will be starting a long way behind next year. We haven't seen what McKibben, BKH, Bennetts and others can do in a year when we have been decimated five times over by injury. Seymour is in the training squad but when it came to injuries Roberts was called in. That to me means Roberts should have had Seymour's spot and Seymour should still be in the Academy.

You have to prepare for 2012 and 2013 in 2011! Squad development two years out is a key KPI for the head coach or it should be. Hickey thinks squad development in those years can be summed up as "Who can I buy off the shelf for what I need?"

In contrast look at what Link has done in QLD. Gill, who is still under 90kg wringing wet has been given time off the bench all year and after another year in the gym will be the fully capable back-up to Beau in 2012 and probably starting 7 in 2013. Our development program has us thinking Waugh will still start in 2013! And maybe if Waugh had had a lighter game load he might have not spent so much time in rehab, its what should happen as you get more mature. Look at the mess the Brumbies are in after the loss of George Smith - next year they will have two good young fetchers with Super experience, but its been a rocky two years and all because they didn't properly prepare.

Planning for the future should be at least 30% of what the head coach does and the succession planning needs to be meticulous. At the Tahs it barely exists.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But back to scrummies - does anybody have playing news about Grayson Hart who is supposed to be in the city?

The Leader said Hart is currently injured.

Also interesting, the now current 10 for Southern Districts is an 18 year-old Fijian called Jale (Charlie) Vaubua who was described as a giant apparently had a top game vs Manly in his debut. Says he has to leave soon as his visa runs out but are looking to get him back, wonder if he's on anyone's radar.

M

Maroon Army

What's the word on Ben Mowen's contract, has he signed on for the 2013 season?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Major player announcement scheduled for tomorrow. Not sure what it could be, I thought Vickerman didn't come back until Friday.

Baxter's retirement is my guess, but it could be a foreign marquee signing like Sarel Pretorius. Phil Waugh's contract is up, so he is due to say something soon. Anyone have the inside word?

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Dear waratahs,
Tomorrow J.Oconnor is speculated to sign with the force. This would mean that all the talk of 'best friends' Beale and Oconnor being brought to the rebels together as part of the reason he signed with them is bullshit, however if it isn't, please monitor the situation and if it leads to Beale being unhappy with his situation or being lied to just a little that someone from the tahs stick there foot in that tiny crack and make it a tapping hole of betrayal, even with a contract, this is professional sport and it's never to late.

If he needs more money I have a piggy bank, it would be more emotionally blackmailing however if we had it presented to Beale by a young girl who could deliver a line like 'please don't go mister, your my hero, dad says it's about money so here is every cent I've ever saved'

Yours sincerely,
Wj

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Major player announcement scheduled for tomorrow. Not sure what it could be, I thought Vickerman didn't come back until Friday.

Baxter's retirement is my guess, but it could be a foreign marquee signing like Sarel Pretorius. Phil Waugh's contract is up, so he is due to say something soon. Anyone have the inside word?

Waugh and Fuze both said a the start of the year that next year would be the last.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
nice pick up.

In all seriousness, Haskell could be a great signing for the Tahs if he is up for Southern Hemisphere rugby.

:nta: We need another back, a 12/13 who can break tackles, not another big backrower, we have plenty of big, safe defensive backs but we simply lack units that can beat a defender one on one.

............................ and a proper young fetcher, and a young gun 9.

zeedok

Allen Oxlade (6)
I've just been catching up with this thread, and I am a bit confused.

I thought the whole purpose of dumping Link and recruiting Chris Hickey was to develop a more attacking gameplan, but the consensus here seems to be that Hickey is too conservative and encourages stifling forward orientated forward play.

I must say I had been giving the team and the coaches the benefit of the doubt until they met the crusaders this year -- they played good attacking rugby last year, albeit in patches, and they really looked slick in the first couple of games -- I thought "OK, so they're building to a more attacking style" but since then shit-house.

Notwithstanding the "Fans forum" we have all been calling for a more adventurous game plan for years -- at least since the last final appearance against the Crusaders, if not a couple of years earlier against the Canes (remember the home semi with no Wendall and a million kicks into the corner with not enough penetration to get over the line?).

How can an organisation that apparently wants aggressive, attacking rugby, and has the best club comp in the country be unable to deliver the goods?

Was Hickey the wrong man for the job all along? Did his mindset change when he got to super level? What role does Phil Waugh have in the mindset and underlying tactics of the team -- afterall, he is the common link between Hickey and Link.

I take everyone's point about Hickey and squad depth, but maybe we need a Brumbies/White like cleanout and a couple of painful years to re-invent the team? If we keep limping along scraping our way into the finals it might just reinforce the poor decisions . . .

One last point of clarification -- the quantity of kicks in general play. Correct me if I am wrong, but it seems to me -- and I defer to my more learned colleagues -- that if you executive kicks poorly then they number start multiplying.

For example, if I kick the ball out, then there is a lineout. If I kick the ball down the throat of the opposition 15, then he kicks, then I try again -- that's already 3 x as many kicks. So maybe the idea of kicking isn't such a bad one, it's just that if you kick badly then the number of kicks multiply and nobody gets anywhere. The thing that worries me -- which again comes down to culture and coaching -- is that if you can't properly execute the plan you would like to use -- why the f$%k do you persist? Or at least, what steps are you taking to improve the kicking in general play, so that you can execute?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
:nta: We need another back, a 12/13 who can break tackles, not another big backrower, we have plenty of big, safe defensive backs but we simply lack units that can beat a defender one on one.

............................ and a proper young fetcher, and a young gun 9.

Haskell is the same age as McKibben.

Status
Not open for further replies.