• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
So do I, I also think JOC (James O'Connor) is a better 12 than 10 and a better 12 than Berrick and Berrick is a better 10 than JOC (James O'Connor) but until Robbie thinks that way JOC (James O'Connor) will play 10 internationally and Berrick 12 when during the S15 they'll do the opposite... Conclusion, Dingo is mental.

Berrick and JOC (James O'Connor) switched well. Whoever is 10 or 12 for the wallabies the team structure and decision making always seems better with Berrick there.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
So do I, I also think JOC (James O'Connor) is a better 12 than 10 and a better 12 than Berrick and Berrick is a better 10 than JOC (James O'Connor) but until Robbie thinks that way JOC (James O'Connor) will play 10 internationally and Berrick 12 when during the S15 they'll do the opposite... Conclusion, Dingo is mental.

I agree with most of what you said but have no gripes with Deans trying out JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 on the Spring Tour. I think it confirmed what we thought: that he would be a valid alternative, with Beale, if both Cooper and Barnes were unavailable. We also thought that he would be a bit like Gits at 10: too much of a runner and not a great facilitator of others i.e. like a midfielder or fullback playing flyhalf.

There were moments when he used players outside him to effect, such as the long pass to Turner against 14 Welshmen for a try to be scored, but not enough of them.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Story on the radio this morning that Rocky Elsom was elected as Waratah captain for 2012. Anyone know any more about this?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Hmmmm. Maybe they are referring to the article in the Oz saying Elsom is set to be announced as captain (written by Bret Harris though, not the most impartial source on Rocky). Nothing on the wires about a vote or announcement, or on twitter.

Elsom would be an odd choice given his injury concerns. But then again which Tahs senior player does not have injury concerns? Elsom would not be the bloke I'd pick, but it is hard to tell these guys leadership qualities unless you are inside the group itself.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Vote? it ain't a democracy, and no coach or player is quoted

Rocky Elsom is the leading contender to take the job as Waratahs captain
BY: BRET HARRIS From: The Australian January 25, 2012 12:00AM

FORMER Wallabies captain Rocky Elsom is expected to be named captain of the NSW Waratahs for this year's Super Rugby competition.

It is understood Elsom is on a short-list of candidates, including five-eighth Berrick Barnes, second-rower Dan Vickerman and hooker Tatafu Polota-Nau, but it appears that the rugged blindside flanker is likely to get the job.

Elsom is the natural choice. He captained Australia from 2009 to 2011 and is already part of the Waratahs' leadership group, which includes Barnes, Vickerman, Polota-Nau, prop Benn Robinson, inside centre Tom Carter, outside centre Rob Horne and winger Drew Mitchell.

Wallabies coach Robbie Deans took many by surprise when he appointed Elsom captain, but he led Australia to some monumental victories, including wins against the All Blacks, Springboks and France away from home.

In his final Test as captain, Elsom led the Wallabies to a landmark victory over the Springboks in Durban last year, which helped Australia to secure the Tri-Nations trophy for the first time since 2001.

While Deans replaced Elsom with second-rower James Horwill as captain of the World Cup squad so he could focus on his fitness and form, he remained a leader of the Test side.

It is this kind of leadership experience that would help the Waratahs to reach their potential and possibly win their maiden Super Rugby title.

While it is unusual for a new player to take over the leadership, Elsom has a strong background with NSW and a good relationship with coaches Michael Foley and Alan Gaffney.

It will mean three of Australia's five Super Rugby teams are likely to have new leaders as backrowers David Pocock (Western Force) and Ben Mowen (Brumbies) are set for leadership roles. This would leave only Horwill (Queensland Reds) and Stirling Mortlock (Melbourne Rebels) as incumbent captains.

W

What2040

Harris says 8 players are in the leadership group - only leaves 7 indians - something about "too many Chiefs........." - Surely Berrick should be front runner and Head Chief

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Harris says 8 players are in the leadership group - only leaves 7 indians - something about "too many Chiefs........." - Surely Berrick should be front runner and Head Chief

the groups thing is just weird, foley has pretty mach ranked everyone. that said, when it comes down to it, this group os to decide punishment etc to those that break rules or standards. come game day. its still going to be C, VC

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Apparently all starting 15 players will have leadership roles so there will be no loss of continuity if Rocky is not present. The following positions have recently been voted upon.

Elsom (Captain)
Barnes (Executive Vice Captain)
Vickerman (Alternate Executive Vice Captain + Co Vice Captain for Niggle)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Senior Vice Captain - Backs)
Benn Robinson (Senior Vice Captain – Forwards)
Mitchell (Junior Vice Captain – Backs)
TPN (Junior Vice Captain – Forwards)
Carter (Co-Vice Captain for Niggle)
Kepu (Vice Captain for NZ tours)
Pretorious (Vice Captain for SA tours)
Horne – (Co Vice Captain for Injury Stoppages)
Palu – (Co Vice Captain for Injury Stoppages)
McCutchen – (Captain of Phil Waugh appreciation society)
Dennis (Vice Captain in waiting – Forwards)
Turner (Vice Captain in training – Backs)
Dean Mum (Captain Reserves)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I think the captain should be a forward so in that regard the ex-Wallaby captain is fine with me. But I thought that Rocky should be left alone to get his mojo back as a player. Since writing stuff to that effect before we have found out that Rocky's leg is like a Xmas ham, but not on the bone (and not really cured either), and will miss the first month of the comp, which is probably code for 6 weeks.

My cunning plan for the Waratahs with the new playing programme was to get a forward workhorse, guaranteed a spot but not, or no longer, in the Wallabies set up. England has a few such player/captains in that category. A pity that Waugh has retired because he would fit the bill. There is nobody else. Mumm is close to it but no longer guaranteed a Tahs' spot when everybody is on deck.

Some experienced Tahs like TPN, Fat Cat and Carter don't have the gravitas; Vickerman has lots of it but also a short fuse; other experienced guys are unsuitable because they play in the back 3, and natural captains like Fitzpatrick and McCutcheon won't be starting a lot.

I therefore thought that Barnes was not only the best candidate, but also the only real one.

But it's Rocky for sure? Good luck with that and everything else Rock.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
In other news, I am going to try and get a nickname going. I think Rob Horne's nickname should be 'Cityrail'- has the attributes of a train (fast, solid, hits hard) however breaks down frequently and is now seen to be generally unreliable.

I know there are holes in the analogy, but Horne needs a nickname and this is my best attempt. Thoughts?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
In other news, I am going to try and get a nickname going. I think Rob Horne's nickname should be 'Cityrail'- has the attributes of a train (fast, solid, hits hard) however breaks down frequently and is now seen to be generally unreliable.

I know there are holes in the analogy, but Horne needs a nickname and this is my best attempt. Thoughts?

I like balsawood for Horne, looks good, breaks easily

Status
Not open for further replies.