• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
If you think we need a good new Wallaby player at 13 then move Taps out one or maybe bring Morahan or Shipperly in one. But in my opinion Horne would be better at 12 for the Tahs with Carter going to 13, where he served with distinction in a number of games last year. Bringing Horne to 12 opens up our options as he is a much better passer of the ball than Carter and opens up our attacking options through that channel and wider out. I am looking to the Tahs to bring a much better attacking backline to the game this year. Maybe that will mean we have another good candidate for Wallaby 12; but Deans will just choose McCabe and Fainga'a at 12 & 13 and stuff it up again.
I'd like to see Inman blossom, IMO he has huge potential and a pairing of him and Horne could be deadly with somebody like Tapuai of the bench.

W

What2040

Is Damian Fitzpatrick fit and ready for 2012. Guy has immense talent but got struck with some injury in 2011.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Don't see why he wouldn't, he was injury free for Eastwood.

I agree, this is the year he really needs to step up and press for higher honours.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah, he seemed to be healthy enough for the Sydney club champions, Eastwood, and also seemed to be playing with a harder edge too; though it's hard to tell at that level.

I thought that last year would be his year, but it wasn't to be. When TPN was first injured he started the game against the Brumbies in Canberra and did well enough though he missed one tackle that I recall and threw one ball to the lineout too low which meant it was also too short.

But then TPN came back and he was on the bench again. TPN was hurt a second time, more seriously, but by that time Kirkpatrick was injured also; so Ulugia started with Roberts or Elvis on the bench. That was a missed opportunity for Fitzpatrick but a good one for Ulugia.

So he has started in just one game for the Tahs. Let's hope that he stays healthy this year so that we can have a good look at him.

T

TOCC

Its a shame KB (Kurtley Beale) didn't stay in NSW.. I would have enjoyed watching a backline with this:

10. Barnes
11. Turner
12. Horne
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell
15. KB (Kurtley Beale)

Only Digby shy of been a good looking Wallaby backline..

Prodigy

Ron Walden (29)
Its a shame KB (Kurtley Beale) didn't stay in NSW.. I would have enjoyed watching a backline with this:

10. Barnes
11. Turner
12. Horne
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Mitchell
15. KB (Kurtley Beale)

Only Digby shy of been a good looking Wallaby backline..
I'm not sure Robbie Deans would have been too unhappy with that backline.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
We are going to miss KB (Kurtley Beale) big time. His X factor on attack was fairly obvious but watching some of the Tahs games from last year recently, makes you realise that he had a bit of X factor in cleaning up also. He made his share of mistakes including some dumb kicks and the odd miracle off-load that didn't work, but he's a game breaker, which the Tahs are short of.

Burgess will be a big loss also, warts and all - and I wish we still had Mowen. He's another one that comes up well in replays. [And not to the point of the Tahs, but his lineout expertise for the Brumbies will counter the fact that no.8 Vaea is not a jumper.]

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
We are going to miss KB (Kurtley Beale) big time. His X factor on attack was fairly obvious but watching some of the Tahs games from last year recently, makes you realise that he had a bit of X factor in cleaning up also. He made his share of mistakes including some dumb kicks and the odd miracle off-load that didn't work, but he's a game breaker, which the Tahs are short of.

Burgess will be a big loss also, warts and all - and I wish we still had Mowen. He's another one that comes up well in replays. [And not to the point of the Tahs, but his lineout expertise for the Brumbies will counter the fact that no.8 Vaea is not a jumper.]
You must have been eavesdropping on me yesterday when I was discussing the Tahs with Cote, Lance and Cat at lunch. These 3 players were the ones I nominated as the biggest holes to fill.

T

TOCC

I can't be the only one who wants Horne to have nothing to do with 12..

Would be a terrible move to play him there, nulls most of his strengths.
no id personally like to see him at 13 as well, everyone just seems adamant his gonna be playing at 12

T

tranquility

I would prefer he stay at 13 as well. However he would make a good fist of either position. They way he straightened the backline in the pool match of the world cup was very encouraging. However I like what he does with ball in hand from the 13 channel when he cuts back on the inside shoulder of the opposing 13 and thus creates room for those outside either on that phase or the next (on the back of a dominant carry and quick ruck). My fingers are crossed that his badluck is all but gone.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I still remember vividly when he came on off the bench against the Bulls in 2010, I think he was playing wing but anyway he broke the line, was strong in contact in the next tackle, got his arms free and gave a sublime offload to Mitchell outside him to put him over.. It was a textbook 13 play.

If he plays 12, the contact part of his defense would be the same but you'd lose all the excellent defensive decisions he makes at 13 to shut down attacks. He could do a crash ball but I'd rather he get given more room where he can use his explosiveness to break tackles and set-up the wingers with an offload or pass.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I still remember vividly when he came on off the bench against the Bulls in 2010, I think he was playing wing but anyway he broke the line, was strong in contact in the next tackle, got his arms free and gave a sublime offload to Mitchell outside him to put him over.. It was a textbook 13 play.

If he plays 12, the contact part of his defense would be the same but you'd lose all the excellent defensive decisions he makes at 13 to shut down attacks. He could do a crash ball but I'd rather he get given more room where he can use his explosiveness to break tackles and set-up the wingers with an offload or pass.

Well said. Also, don't underestimate his foot speed and stepping ability. This is why I love him as a 13, he runs good lines hard but can still step to get around players, something you don't see too often from international 13's with most relying on a good fend and running angles.

T

TOCC

Not suggesting he is a replica or as good, but his style of play reminds me of Brian O'Driscoll somewhat

Status
Not open for further replies.