• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Had a listen to Michael Foley on the rugby show on foxtel the other day. Shocking speaker. Ends all his sentences with a plaintive question mark, like he doesn't really believe in what he's saying. How's that going to cut it with the players when the pressure is on mid season?

Combine this with the dearth of credible leaders in the Tahs' top XV and I'm beginning to fear the worst.

Just watched the same interview. Yes he doesn't speak in resonant bass-baritone, but you do get a sense of someone who is thinking carefully about the game and does have a plan for what he wants. Right now he'll do me fine. We'll know for sure when he is interviewed after a bad loss - you always find out what people are made of when the going gets tough, not during pre-season training when it all looks great.

I'm not too happy that he let slip that BKH has a niggle injury now. It was said in the context of praise for how well BKH was doing, and gee I hope he does come good. But BKH has been out so often before that to be injured at this stage is not a good look.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
I don't know if this has been discussed previously, but is it true that the Waratahs were looking around for a new sponsor?

Does anyone know the current deal with HSBC?

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
I don't know if this has been discussed previously, but is it true that the Waratahs were looking around for a new sponsor?

Does anyone know the current deal with HSBC?

Unless something has changed since the contract was signed in 2010, the current deal with HSBC lasts until the end of 2013. They did get a new sleeve sponsor for 2012 with Volvo replacing Mazda. Not sure how long this partnership is for though.

Here's the link to the announcement of HSBC's sponsorship in 2010:
http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby/News/NewsArticle/tabid/374/ArticleID/438/Default.aspx

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Foley appears to speak wanting confirmation of his point. The inflection is the same as Deans' silence & eyebrow lift.

Sent from my LG-E900 using Board Express

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Dan Vickerman backs Rocky Elsom to lead New South Wales Waratahs in 2012 Super Rugby season

FOX SPORTS December 15, 2011 2:28PM

Injured lock Dan Vickerman has backed former Wallabies skipper Rocky Elsom to lead New South Wales Waratahs in the 2012 Super Rugby season.

On the comeback trail from shoulder surgery, Vickerman said there were a number of quality players who could step into the role vacated by the retired Phil Waugh.

But, when pressed to name the front-runner, the 32-year-old nominated Elsom - suggesting the flanker’s time in charge of the Wallabies made him the ideal candidate.

"You’d have to say Rocky Elsom," Vickerman told Fox Sports News.

"He’s the previous Wallaby captain and coming into the Tahs; he’s a good leader and a good guy."

Vickerman rubbished suggestions Elsom might be hesitant to take on the Waratahs captaincy, after losing the Wallabies job to Queensland Reds skipper James Horwill.

"When James took over from Rocky, Rocky did a fantastic job," Vickerman said.

"It wouldn’t have been easy to deal with that, but Rocky was really professional with the way he did that and got on with his business.

"And he played some really good rugby after that; so, yeah, I think he would be keen to lead the side."

Preparing for his first full season of Super Rugby since 2008, Vickerman said his shoulder was progressing well but admitted a return to the pitch was still a while off.

"I won’t be right for the start of the season," Vickerman said.

"The best-case scenario is a five-month turnaround, but that will be dictated by how well the rehab goes."

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Too bad if that is the case. I like a player being positive for another if it is sincere and is obviously not following a company line.

Elsom should not be the team captain before Barnes because he should concentrate on getting his mojo back on the park first, and prove himself to be consistently fit. But I wouldn't be fussed if he got the gig, not least because it's always preferable to have a forward as the skipper IMO.

BKH has been out so often before that to be injured at this stage is not a good look.

No, it isn't; but somehow it doesn't resonate with me because he has been out for so long one forgets that he is one of our players. A pity for BKH though.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
just on Barnes being captain: The Missus has long held a view that he is not withinn the "inner clique" at the Tahs, based on the fact he is mostly on his own post match while all the other players group together for Hi 5s and arse groping etc. Anyone else noticed this, or had word of this? We were hoping "The Code" would provide some insight, but typically it offered little.

If this is the case, It would be hard for him to captain the Tahs, although personally think he's the best option

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
just on Barnes being captain: The Missus has long held a view that he is not withinn the "inner clique" at the Tahs, based on the fact he is mostly on his own post match while all the other players group together for Hi 5s and arse groping etc. Anyone else noticed this, or had word of this? We were hoping "The Code" would provide some insight, but typically it offered little.

If this is the case, It would be hard for him to captain the Tahs, although personally think he's the best option

From my understanding the players all love him. He is also one of the most interviewed and is often sidled away to talk at the end of a match which may take away from the team huddle.

Remember, there was a push for him to be in the RWC squad based on his attitude and help he provides to others.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
It seems Tahs have a Waugh void... If Barnes isn't the man there isn't really another who has the profile to do it and will take to field each week, TPN perhaps? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

T

TOCC

I'd say it's the opposite, I think there's a plethora of natural leader at the tahs, it's just a matter of picking the right one...

M

mushtaq

Can someone tell me the full list of players in and players out for the Waratahs squad for 2012?

N

Newter

Just watched the same interview. Yes he doesn't speak in resonant bass-baritone, but you do get a sense of someone who is thinking carefully about the game and does have a plan for what he wants. Right now he'll do me fine. We'll know for sure when he is interviewed after a bad loss - you always find out what people are made of when the going gets tough, not during pre-season training when it all looks great.

I'm not too happy that he let slip that BKH has a niggle injury now. It was said in the context of praise for how well BKH was doing, and gee I hope he does come good. But BKH has been out so often before that to be injured at this stage is not a good look.

They all think carefully about the game. I bet Mark Hammett does. Point is, does he know how to translate his genius into simple terms the players can understand, and deliver it an a way that makes them respect his authority even when they don't all agree with him?

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Point taken and I haven't seen the specific interview but there is often a very large difference between the way someone comes across in a situation like that compared to how they are normally. I'm sure Foley and probably even Dingo don't struggle for words or appear like they're unsure of what they're saying when it comes to doing their actual jobs.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Point taken and I haven't seen the specific interview but there is often a very large difference between the way someone comes across in a situation like that compared to how they are normally. I'm sure Foley and probably even Dingo don't struggle for words or appear like they're unsure of what they're saying when it comes to doing their actual jobs.

The interview is still available on the Fox Sports website.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
The Tahs just need to get some creativity into the 10/12 combination and they will be a bloody force in 2012. They tend to waste a lot of quallity front foot ball. If they can feed the outside backs better than previous years they will be a very tough side for opposing teams to handle.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
The Tahs just need to get some creativity into the 10/12 combination and they will be a bloody force in 2012. They tend to waste a lot of quallity front foot ball. If they can feed the outside backs better than previous years they will be a very tough side for opposing teams to handle.

at least you waited until December to start the Tah Talk

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)

I dint think the problem has been a lack of creativity, it's been a lack of consistency. I can't remember the last time we had a settled back line at the Tahs. There is always change through injury and form and with it we seem to always take a step back to go forward. The Tahs have the strike weapons just need a bit of luck from the injury gods and they will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.