• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Say what you like about Tom Carter but come to think of it I think he would make a bloody decent captain.

The question is though, if Barnes and Horne remain uninjured. What is the likelihood of Kingston forcing a change in the centres and Tommy getting dropped to the bench?

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't know Swat. My money would be on Barnes getting the captains gig. The Tahs centres are an interesting case in my view. Horne when on the park is awsome and Carter played some really good rugby at 13 this year offering much more than he does at twelve. Do the Tahs have a gamble and convert Horne to a 12? He would make a fist of it in my view. On the other hand 13 is probably a bit wide for a captain to hve the influence he needs too.

Carter has his faults and they are well documented but his non flashy grafting style really suits the criteria for follow me style leader.

None the less it is good for Tah fans to have these things to ponder.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
He's definitely a guy who always goes hard, puts everything on the line and busts his balls even for the 1 percent-ers, it's one of the reasons he's been so successful without being a huge unit or really fleet footed but he doesn't have the inspiration factor for me. Mind you, I've never spent a lot of time around the bloke so who knows...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I'm all for captain Carter, he is an undistated genius. I haunt seen enough from Kingston yet to say if he should dethrone anyone, but hopefully he gets some time to show if he can.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Tom Carter is a great player totally under-rated by people who should know better. His biggest problem is that he loves a sledge so much that players in other teams, in Shute especially, end up taking offense. In Shute if they had a vote he would win the "most likely to start a blue" comp by a large margin. For me that's not a great trait to have in a captain, even if he tones it down in Super rugby. Good guy to have in the leadership group but not captaincy material. He was captain for a few weeks at Uni but said himself it wasn't one of his core skills and was glad to hand it back. There are plenty of better candidates for captain, notwithstanding that I still want him in the 15 for his wholehearted dedication to the "hard yards" - 100% defence, 100% kick chase, always prepared to take it up without respect for life or limb.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Agree that Carter is not captaincy material - and the same goes for Fat Cat. Both are larrikins, and teams that don't have them are the poorer for it, but they are not usually captains.

As I have mentioned before: McCutcheon is probably the most natural captain, but his place in the side is not assured, and nor is Mumm's. Fitzpatrick is another natural, but is not in the picture at all.

Elsom is a possibility, and how could he not be, since he has captained the Wallabies, but he probably has to concentrate on getting his mojo back as a player first. Vickerman is a player with gravitas and players listen to him, but you don't want somebody of his age taking over the captaincy reins.

Some of the others have captained in club matches but Barnes is probably not only the best candidate, but also the only real one. Elsom or Vickerman could be skipper if he misses a game.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Comeon really??? A 'great player'....Let's keep things in perspective

I don't mean Horan and Campese great. He's a player who has done the best he can with the skills he was given. I just love his whole-hearted committment and its great to watch him play. If you watch him carefully during a game I think you will conclude he is way better than the critics say. I don't remember any one playing at 12 ever get right on top of him and he has totally outplayed a number of supposedly test-quality players. He improved his passing game last year and can improve his attack lines and off-loading this year; and I expect under Gaffney he will. Great has many nuances - someone can be a great bloke without winning the Nobel prize.

T

TOCC

Agree that Barnes is the best Captaincy potential....

Therein begs a question, why do Queenslanders make such good captains?
Moore*, Barnes, Horwill, Sharpe are all club captains next year, cant ignore the others players like Elsom, Pocock and Genia either.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)

Moore*, Barnes, Horwill, Sharpe are all club captains next year, cant ignore the others players like Elsom, Pocock and Genia either.

This would probably be better posted in the Reds thread, where all the Reds supporters could hit their agree buttons and all would be right with the world.

T

TOCC

This would probably be better posted in the Reds thread, where all the Reds supporters could hit their agree buttons and all would be right with the world.

I thought it was relevant since Mitchell, Elsom and Barnes make up a significant portion of the NSW leadership group ;)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Nathan Sharpe?

The boy from Wagga Wagga, NSW?

David Pocock?

There's an even bigger stretch...

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don't mean Horan and Campese great. He's a player who has done the best he can with the skills he was given. I just love his whole-hearted committment and its great to watch him play. If you watch him carefully during a game I think you will conclude he is way better than the critics say. I don't remember any one playing at 12 ever get right on top of him and he has totally outplayed a number of supposedly test-quality players. He improved his passing game last year and can improve his attack lines and off-loading this year; and I expect under Gaffney he will. Great has many nuances - someone can be a great bloke without winning the Nobel prize.

I know its being pedantic, but if you don't mean Horan and Campese great, that suggests you don't mean great at all. What other kind of great player is there?

Carter is adequate and not much more. He's suited the Tahs limited game plan over the last few years. Whether he continues to do so remains to be seen. It is arguable that he wouldn't get a start at 12, his primary position, in any of the other Oz provinces (Reds: Fa'ainga, Tapuai, Force: Stanley, Brums: Lealifano, Rebs: O'Connor). There is no point arguing whether it is arguable, that is just proving my point.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hawko's signature:

Quoting Nutta: "For a front rower your scrum is meat, your lineout is potatoes and being useful around the park is gravy. Remember that you don't put gravy on the plate first."

That diet is why front rowers have big arses.

Status
Not open for further replies.