• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
3 years makes sense, with the lions tour and all.
from most stuff written about players lately its the ARU contract that is taking the time not the states.
most teams great retention this year though, good to see, hopefully it continues for years to come for all involved

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So how many spaces are left on the roster?

Thanks to Noddy we have.................

1 Sekope Kepu Benn Robinson
2 Tatafu Polota-Nau Damien Fitzpatrick
3 Al Baxter Paddy Ryan
4/5 Dean Mumm Will Caldwell Hendrik Roodt Kane Douglas
6 Ben Mowen David Dennis
7 Phil Waugh Pat McCutcheon
8 Wycliffe Palu Locky McCaffrey
9 Josh Holmes Luke Burgess
10 Berrick Barnes Daniel Halangahu
11/14 Lachlan Turner Drew Mitchell
12 Tom Carter
13 Rob Horne Rory Sidey
15 Kurtley Beale

OK, so I guess Tilse will be signed as the 5th prop

So to me we need a couple of promising wingers, a young 10/12 and a 15

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I asked Noddy to do an exercise about the Reds for next year - who were the new guys coming in and who were going out - and to match them up to see where the space was.

I reckon I should try one for the Tahs.

Players likely to be terminated

4/5/6 Cam Jowitt >>> Greg Peterson [Note 1]
7. Chris Alcock >>> Pat McCutcheon
15. Soseni Anesi >>> Jacob Woodhouse [Note 2]
6/8 Ben Coridas >>> Lachlan McCaffrey

Note 1 - Expected - It would be unaccountable if this chap hadn't been signed up already.

Note 2 - There have been newspaper articles mentioning that Woodhouse, the 2009 Oz Schools fullback, got a 3 year deal. If that is right then the first year was 2010 in the professional academy. This would also mean that D'Arcy is unlikely to be signed since Beale is the incumbent and Turner and Mitchell can play there if needs be.

Note 5 - Assuming the above is correct there is room in a roster of 30 for 1 winger - and if Tilse terminates this year, 1 prop as well. Not to the point but did anybody else think that Tilse did better than expected at the end of the season?

I understood D'Arcy was doing very well in Shute this year. Woodhouse must be very special to overtake him?

IMO Tilse deserves more time on the park to prove his long term worth, he was excellent in the two games he played this year.

Alcock also looks hard done by. One great game and then he's toast.

Not sure with the longer season that a reduction in the list to 30 is a good idea. Longer season = more big injuries, which means we will have to go to the juniors more often. But with Hickey refusing to give them game time until injury totally wipes out the first team players, all of a sudden they will be thrust into starting roles without any game time experience

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The Tahs were short a 13 all season - surely this has to be a priority?!

Sidey can cover 11/14, and although I haven't seen much of him I think that is about it (Hickey even preferred Carter at 13 when Horne was injured!). So if Sidey stays I don't think another winger is needed in the squad (even if there are a couple of injuries to 11/14/15 those are the positions most easily filled by jr/academy players)

I think it would be prudent to have third Hooker too, especially if there is to be any meaningful squad rotation. With only two hookers. having an injury will leave you short.

I am not content with the scrum half options, but I guess they are adequate.

So for me the priorities have to be 13 and 2 (assuming Tilse is signed up). Beyond that any other signings should be about securing the top talent no matter what position (the problem with Peterson is that the Tahs have too many locks, especially considering that Dennis can cover lock too - if Roodt and Caldwell are given the flick there is room for a new recruit).

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Wouldnt be so quick to write Alcock off either.Despite all the platitudes for Waugh and Dingo insisting his international days are not necessarily over, there has to be a strong possibility that this will be his last season before building his pension in Europe/Japan. Would therefore make sense to keep on developing a promising fetcher/on-baller and Alcock has done nothing to suggest he shouldnt be that person.

Cyril Towers (30)
Wouldnt be so quick to write Alcock off either.Despite all the platitudes for Waugh and Dingo insisting his international days are not necessarily over, there has to be a strong possibility that this will be his last season before building his pension in Europe/Japan. Would therefore make sense to keep on developing a promising fetcher/on-baller and Alcock has done nothing to suggest he shouldnt be that person.

Agree Riddler
Also agree that a 3rd hooker is essential with the extra games and TPN's habit of breaking himself. Ben Roberts or Luke Holmes would fill that hole.
And I think Tilse had a +1 option in his contract and will stay for 2011.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Sam Roberson and Ben Roberts are the Junior Tahs hookers I am pretty sure, but when Roberson comes back from the 20's he could be playing 3rd grade or would he play first grade colts Topo?

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
From what I've heard around the traps from a Newington family I know, there are rumors that the tahs have sewn up Hugh Roach on an academy contract.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Jim L’Estrange resigns from NSWRU & Waratahs Rugby

The Board of the NSW Rugby Union and NSW Waratahs Rugby have formally accepted the resignation of chief executive officer, Jim L’Estrange.

The resignation will take effect at the end of August, with Mr L’Estrange overseeing a transition period in his dual roles as CEO and as a Director on the NSWRU and Waratahs Rugby Boards.

Waratahs Rugby Chairman Edwin Zemancheff has paid tribute to Mr L’Estrange’s diligence and passion for Rugby in NSW during his three-year tenure as CEO.

“Whilst we are sorry to see Jim go, we respect his reasons to do so, and wish to express our appreciation for the great work and results he achieved in running Australia’s oldest and most successful Rugby organisation,” said Mr Zemancheff.

“During Jim’s three years at NSW Rugby, the HSBC Waratahs finished second, fifth and third – contesting two Super 14 semi-finals and a final – and were the top-ranked Australian side in all three seasons. The Tooheys New Shute Shield has experienced its best years in recent memory and participation numbers in NSW have grown by around 5%.

“Jim was instrumental in the creation of a separate entity and Board to operate the professional arm of the sport in NSW through Waratahs Rugby Ltd. This is one of the most significant changes in the history of the Union, and along with a positive shift in the culture of the organisation both on and off the field, this will remain Jim’s greatest legacy.”

Mr L’Estrange has accepted a request to remain as a director on the Waratahs Rugby Board to ensure the transition period is as smooth as possible.

“With the expansion of Super Rugby in 2011, these are exciting times for Rugby in Australia so there are some mixed emotions in leaving,” said Mr L’Estrange. “However after going through the process of creating the Waratahs Board, the next step was always going to be the change to management structures across both entities.

“This is the right time for those changes to take place, so it is the right time to step aside.”

As Mr L’Estrange served as CEO of both NSW Rugby and the new Waratahs Rugby business, an external agency will commence the process of recruiting new heads for each individual entity.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Hawko

D'Arcy is doing very well in the Shute Shield as he did last year. He's in the Tahs pro academy and I expected him to be elevated in 2011 for a rookie contract. The Force were interested in him a while back but he decided to stay in Sydney.

But I remembered some newspaper articles about Woodhouse that I had seen before and googled to jog my memory. They were from two local Sydney newspapers: one in the area around Scots, who he played for, and one in the area where he lives. It's fairly unusual for a boy to come straight from school into the professional academy as they usually have a year in the amateurs, but Woodhouse got a pro spot and so did Greg Peterson.

http://www.hawkesburygazette.com.au...in-sight-for-schoolboy-custodian/1748265.aspx

One usually takes advice from a local paper with a grain of salt; but unless he's going to have a 2nd year in the pro academy, he could get a rookie contract. He's the 2009 Oz Schools fullback and plays a bit like Matt Burke did, and has a bit of toe, but he's not a goal kicker as D'Arcy is. He got a bit of time for the JWs this year but not a lot. He's in the Sydney Uni factory so is earning his dues there before he plays in 1st grade.

Agree about Alcock and the need to have more players with a longer season, not fewer, but if there is a limit of 30 on Oz S15 teams, that's the way it is.

S15 teams get around constraints like that by having good players in their pro academy and they have to make sure that they have a scrummie, and prop and other key players in there to be available at short notice. The trick is to get good players to accept an pro academy job which is more or less at half pay compared to a Super contract salary. Keeping McKibbin for another year in the pro academy would be a very good trick.

James B

I wouldn't be surprised if that news about Roach is correct. As I wrote in the Grass Roots section: I saw him play for Newington last Saturday at Joeys. I thought he was pretty good last year when he got selected as Oz Schools hooker, but I didn't know that he still had another school year in 2010. On Saturday he looked like a young TPN, which is is not a bad thing. He has the mongrel and the mojo. The Joeys hooker is fairly handy too as are a couple of others I have seen in the trials. But digress.

The key point is whether Roach has a pro academy spot or is going to be in the amateur group, as most promising schoolboys from the year before are. For a lad leaving school the pro academy is the fast track and an announcement that the Tahs rate him.

As for other comments about different players and imperfect rostering: it is never ideal, but the Tahs have done well to keep so many of their players when some must have been courted by Melbourne.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Lee

Woodhouse was heavily courted by Sydney Uni(at one point looked like he was going to play at Uni) but in the end chose to play for Easts. Played first two games in 2nd grade, hasn't played since though must be injured. I imagine he would have been ahead of Anderson in Easts plans so might have got a shot on the wing as the season went on in first grade.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Lee,

I saw him a week earlier against Riverview and agree he has the mongrel and work ethic to make a go of it. That being said, he is a little on the small side and could do with some beef.

All I heard was that he 'had a contract' which I assume is academy but could very well be Pro.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
AD

Thanks for that - didn't know, or I forgot. Playing for Uni would have some advantages for a young bloke and many are willing to stay there for a year or two for the rugby benefits they get but it's a longer road to 1st grade.

I look forward to seeing Jake play for Easts in whatever position. Playing wing will do his career no harm at all, but geez, he's a good looking fullback for his age.

JB

Yeah, Roach is a short arse but his hobby is weight training and he weighed in at 95kgs for Oz Schools last year, so he'll probably get to over 100kgs by the time he gets to play pro rugby.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
Woodhouse goes to ACPE so he wasn't doing a Uni course so that may have swayed it. I know of a another Easts bloke(plays second grade) who get's his tuition fees at ACPE paid so that may be a part of his deal.

Roach is a very very strong fella, would be one of the strongest going around. Guy Millar a Prop from Kings is probably the strongest though,.he is a South African and played GPS 2's last season big big future.

Although a bench press is not a be all and end all he is very fit for a front rower, is bench pressing in the 150 kg range. And squatting a helluva lot as well.

The Tahs could do worse than put him in the Amateur Academy and give him some time to develop, he is a Parramatta Junior hopefully he will go to Parra but we all know that won't happen.

Cyril Towers (30)
Sam Roberson and Ben Roberts are the Junior Tahs hookers I am pretty sure, but when Roberson comes back from the 20's he could be playing 3rd grade or would he play first grade colts Topo?

If Charles and Roberts are both playing he would go to 1sts Colts. Generally Uni would rather have them there than 3rd grade, which is the right approach IMO

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
The HSBC Waratahs have bolstered their scrumhalf stocks ahead of the expanded Super Rugby competition with Brendan McKibbin signing a two-year deal which will keep the Scottish-born No.9 at NSW until 2012.

McKibbin joined the HSBC Junior Waratahs in 2010 and after impressing throughout the trials and ‘A’ Program, the former Queensland Red has continued his strong form with Eastern Suburbs in the Tooheys New Shute Shield.

After making his Super 14 debut in 2009 but failing to push his way into the Waratahs match day squad this season, McKibbin has his sights firmly set on making his mark in 2011.

“If I didn’t genuinely believe I could get the Waratahs No.9 jersey here then I wouldn’t have stayed,” said McKibbin. “I’ve really enjoyed the change of lifestyle since coming to Sydney, but as a footballer you want to be playing at the highest level and I still believe my best chance of doing that is by remaining with the Waratahs.

“It’s a very strong environment here in terms of challenging each other to achieve the best they can and I’d like to think I’m still improving as a footballer. If I continue to do that here then hopefully I’ll be knocking on the door for a spot once next season comes around.”

A former Queensland U16 and U20 flanker, McKibbin made the switch to halfback when he joined the Reds Academy in 2006 and the following year was selected in the Ballymore Tornadoes for the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship.

In 2008 McKibbin was the top pointscorer in the Brisbane club Rugby competition and was also the runaway winner in the Alec Evans Medal for the competition’s best and fairest player. Following the season McKibbin was selected on the Reds Development Tour of Europe and then took up the opportunity of a short stint with Saracens in England.

McKibbin returned to the Reds Academy at the start of 2009 and made his Super 14 debut mid-season against the Chiefs, going on to be capped on four occasions. Later in the year McKibbin lifted the Hospitals Cup as the premiership-winning captain of Brothers before heading south just one month later to join the HSBC Junior Waratahs.

McKibbin is the fifth player from the 2010 HSBC Junior Waratahs program to be promoted to the Super 14 squad next year along with Kane Douglas, Locky McCaffrey, Pat McCutcheon and Paddy Ryan.

** In other squad news, former Emerging Springbok second rower Hendrik Roodt has returned to South Africa after being released from the second year of his contract with the HSBC Waratahs. Roodt made one appearance off the bench during the 2010 Super 14 season and has returned to his home country where he hopes to link with a local franchise.

Brendan McKibbin
Position: Scrumhalf
Physical: 175cm, 85kg
Born: 19.09.85, Scotland
School: Marist Brothers Ashgrove
Juniors: Brothers
Club: Eastern Suburbs
State Caps: 4 [Queensland Reds 4]
State Points: 10 [Queensland Reds 10 (5c)]
State Debut: 2008 v Chiefs [Queensland Reds]
Super Rugby Caps: 4 [Queensland Reds 4]
Super Rugby Points: 10 [Queensland Reds 10 (5c)]
Super Rugby Debut: 2008 v Chiefs [Queensland Reds]
Test Caps: 0

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
so now burgo, holmes, and now mckibbin all signed for 2011. in case anyone else was wondering who else is in the mix.

mckibbin deserves a shot. hope he gets one.

Status
Not open for further replies.