• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Rugby smart arse said:
Agree with Langthorne, cover needed at 12/13 and cover(slash new starter) for 9. I also think that if Alcock is going to be the answer to a departing Waugh, he needs more game time next year. We seem to have a lot of 6s in the squad (dennis, mowen, McCutcheon, Mumm) but no real 7. another monster 8 would be good too, but they would likely get itchy feet playing behind Palu (like Hoiles did).

Palu will be gone after the RWC, itchy feet?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Langthorne said:
thinking about player recruitment, where are the Tahs weak or in need of reinforcement?

I'm not convinced that the Waratahs need to bulk up or bring in bigger blokes. If they are planning on employing the same tactics around the ruck as they did against the Stormers they will need to be bigger, but then the other teams will find ways around them.

I would aim to have the fittest and best drilled forwards in the competition - and then employ tactics that take advantage of these traits. For drawing the big Stormers defenders in, how about having two pods in motion as forward options rather than just one? Then vary the tactic by bringing in a winger at an angle, or passing behind to the backs for either a crash ball back in or letting it go wide. Once the defence is a bit stressed, go with pop balls and pick and drives.

With skill, fitness and mobility (and good use of the bench) they could run anyone ragged.

On to recruitment:

with full fitness the starting 15 is pretty strong, but with injuries and rotation the gaps open up.

First priority must be cover for Rob Horne (ideally someone who can play in other positions too)

Robinson, Baxter, Tilse, Ryan, Kepu is a sufficient number of props

TPN and Fitzpatrick plus one more hooker required

Douglas (he'll keep growing for the next 3-4 years, so will be a real monster) and Mumm (stick with lock I think) are good starters, plus Dennis for me, especially as he can play 6 too. If Caldwell is up to it I'd like to see him in the squad too. Jowitt and Roodt can pack their bags as far as I'm concerned. So at least one more needed here.

Mowen, Waugh, Palu to start, with McCutcheon and Alcock in the mix too. Who are the players being groomed to replace Waugh and Palu? If we don't have them yet, we'd better get them soon, and give them game time.

Burgess is starting to hit some form. Does Will Genia have a twin brother? I think we need a better second option (or maybe a better first option)

Can Sidey play wing or fullback? If not, we need cover for Beale, Mitchell and Turner. Anesi can go back to NZ to help the underperforming Kiwi teams.

Who is out there? Aussies only please.

Fair enough, Anesi and Jowitt, were not our marquee signings, Barnes and Mitchell were. Jowitt is good, just not good enough to start in front of Douglas and Mumm and Caldwell (should have been there instead of Thommo)

McCutcheon is being hailed as the new Waugh, Palu needs to be with us post RWC, McKibben for 9?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
So match 1 2011:

1. Tilse
2. TPN
3. Baxter
4. Mumm
5. Dougie
6. McCutcheon/Dennis/Mowen
7. Waugh
8. Palu
9. Burgess/Holmes/McKibben
10. Hangas/Berwick
11. Schmoo
12. Berwick/TC
13. Horne
14. Turner
15. Beale

16. Fitz
17. Kepu
18. Caldwell
19. McCutcheon/Dennis/Mowen/Alcock
20. Burgess/Holmes/MKibben
21. Hangas/TC
22. MASSIVE HIGH PROFILE INTERNATIONAL (non-dud) MARQUEE SIGNING!!!

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
#1 Tah said:
So match 1 2011:

1. Tilse
2. TPN
3. Baxter
4. Mumm
5. Dougie
6. McCutcheon/Dennis/Mowen
7. Waugh
8. Palu
9. Burgess/Holmes/McKibben
10. Hangas/Berwick
11. Schmoo
12. Berwick/TC
13. Horne
14. Turner
15. Beale

16. Fitz
17. Kepu
18. Caldwell
19. McCutcheon/Dennis/Mowen/Alcock
20. Burgess/Holmes/MKibben
21. Hangas/TC
22. MASSIVE HIGH PROFILE INTERNATIONAL (non-dud) MARQUEE SIGNING!!!

What about Benn Robinson? Have I missed something? I know he's not signed up for next year...but all indications I have seen are that it is no brainer he will stay with the Tahs...

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
benn apparantly is unhappy his contract negotiations were made public if the papers can be believed and has put off resigning until he resolves the problems with the board member in question.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Scarfman said:
Wrong thread, of course, but I thought the pick'n'go was underused. Too much static ball, sucking in too few defenders. Barnes must have loked up and thought - fuck me, what am I going to do here?
Some days, I think Barnes would look up in a game of park 7s and say 'fuck me, what am I going to do here?' ::)

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
waratahjesus said:
benn apparantly is unhappy his contract negotiations were made public if the papers can be believed and has put off resigning until he resolves the problems with the board member in question.
*gulp* do you have the board member's name, WJ? Is it permissible to discuss...persuasive methodology...here on G&GR?

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
MrMouse said:
waratahjesus said:
*gulp* do you have the board member's name, WJ? Is it permissible to discuss...persuasive methodology...here on G&GR?

Al Baxter.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
MrMouse said:
waratahjesus said:

ive only heard rumours, its not the coach, so its a muppet in a suit, but still, i would expect him to sign, melbourne was his only other option and its not like there cupboard is bear.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
As far as I know only one side from Australia has played semi final football this decade. And that is under the tougher format of a four team semi final series, if QLD do make it next season it won't be as well deserved unless they make the top 4. Which I doubt they will do, if they were going to turn it around and make the semi finals for the first time in ages it would have been this season, they simply don't have the self belief and culture to do it at the moment. I don't think anyone in the current QLD squad has played a Super 14 semi bar maybe Morgs?

runsonrum

Allen Oxlade (6)
waratahjesus said:
topo said:
waratahjesus said:
im calling leroy coming back home after the cup

He should be nicely cooked by then. Ready for the big time. Thanks Qld.

the tahs made him a wallably squad member, he has gone backwards at qld.

I think you will find Eddie Jones made him a Wallaby without having played a S14 game for the Tahs. From memory he had only had a little over one one season within the Tahs after having played at Asquith Boys, then onto Eastwood. To say he has gone backwards up at Qld is probably a slight exaggeration. In 2007 he struggled with the life of professional footy and asked for leave and then ultimately a release to go and play park footy league with some mates.

He piled on weight, grew up a little, and then got a contract with the Reds. If you're talking about Leroy, you should be thanking those north of the tweed for rescuing Leroy. This year we have seen Leroy drop a huge amount of weight and really come on as a rugby player.

Would love to see him back at TG Millner and the SFS, but it certainly looks as though he is happy up there, so good luck to him.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
runsonrum said:
waratahjesus said:
topo said:
waratahjesus said:
im calling leroy coming back home after the cup

He should be nicely cooked by then. Ready for the big time. Thanks Qld.

the tahs made him a wallably squad member, he has gone backwards at qld.

I think you will find Eddie Jones made him a Wallaby without having played a S14 game for the Tahs. From memory he had only had a little over one one season within the Tahs after having played at Asquith Boys, then onto Eastwood. To say he has gone backwards up at Qld is probably a slight exaggeration. In 2007 he struggled with the life of professional footy and asked for leave and then ultimately a release to go and play park footy league with some mates.

He piled on weight, grew up a little, and then got a contract with the Reds. If you're talking about Leroy, you should be thanking those north of the tweed for rescuing Leroy. This year we have seen Leroy drop a huge amount of weight and really come on as a rugby player.

Would love to see him back at TG Millner and the SFS, but it certainly looks as though he is happy up there, so good luck to him.

i was just stirring dude!
i know leroys story well, one of my best mates is married to his cus.
after he played league for asquith he quit half way through the season and played rugby at horns along side me, i gave him a few pointers along the way and he has really taken them to heart and applied them to his everyday life, so if you wanna thank anyone, well, your welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.