• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
He conceded that NSW needed to inject greater physicality into their game if they were to ever beat the likes of the Stormers or the Bulls. The weight difference between the Stormers' pack (922 kilograms) and the Waratahs' (880kg) on Saturday showed the enormity of the challenge NSW had just faced.

:violin:

Yet more BS from my mate Chris. Probably one area the Tahs did have the wood slightly on Saturday was in the forwards, hence Waugh's obsession with one off running and keeping it in tight. If Hickey thinks the weight advantage is an important factor, why didnt they test out the the featherweight winger and fullback? And instead of trying to smash the ruck all the time and win immediate ball from the first guy in (often resulting in a penalty), if he realised the back row were at a weight disadvantage, why not employ tactics that allowed a ruck to develop, bring in supporting players and counter rucking? Or, now here's a thing, if you think you are going to get smashed because they have bigger forwards than you, wouldnt you try and spin the ball out wide to take that contest out of the game?

:crybaby

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Wrong thread, of course, but I thought the pick'n'go was underused. Too much static ball, sucking in too few defenders. Barnes must have loked up and thought - fuck me, what am I going to do here?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Scarfman said:
Wrong thread, of course, but I thought the pick'n'go was underused. Too much static ball, sucking in too few defenders. Barnes must have loked up and thought - fuck me, what am I going to do here?

TPN has been our only effective pick and go man since Paul got injured. Unfortaunetly the opposition have worked that out and thats one of the reasons why TPN has been less effective (while still being very good) the last 4 rounds or wo

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
fatprop said:
Before you spin the ball wide, you need fast, front foot ball.

FP, thought we had that on a number of occasions but instead of it going out wide, it went one off for a few phases until we a) knocked it on b) lost in the ruck or c) got in each others way and totally stuffed up the continuity. Plenty of times it could have been spun wide or, as mentioned elsewhere gone two or three out for a separate attacking pod. Not just blaming the forwards or Waugh's instructions because quite often when it did go to Berrick, he just put in another aimless kick and handed over possession anyway.

And as for Chris saying we need new second row and back row players to fill out the squad we already have Dud, Alcock, Jowitt, Caldwell and Coridas that were hardly used this year (admittedly due to injury in a number of cases). Does that mean that Hickey is going to dispense with a number of these? If he wants big, heavy forwards then may Dud has a future with the Tahs but from what I've seen of him playing at Gordon so far this season, he's nothing special.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TheRiddler said:
fatprop said:
Before you spin the ball wide, you need fast, front foot ball.

FP, thought we had that on a number of occasions but instead of it going out wide, it went one off for a few phases until we a) knocked it on b) lost in the ruck or c) got in each others way and totally stuffed up the continuity. Plenty of times it could have been spun wide or, as mentioned elsewhere gone two or three out for a separate attacking pod. Not just blaming the forwards or Waugh's instructions because quite often when it did go to Berrick, he just put in another aimless kick and handed over possession anyway.

And as for Chris saying we need new second row and back row players to fill out the squad we already have Dud, Alcock, Jowitt, Caldwell and Coridas that were hardly used this year (admittedly due to injury in a number of cases). Does that mean that Hickey is going to dispense with a number of these? If he wants big, heavy forwards then may Dud has a future with the Tahs but from what I've seen of him playing at Gordon so far this season, he's nothing special.

Until you can suck in defenders and bend the line near the ruck you can't spin the ball against the side using a drift defence as well as the stormers do. When ever we did spin it, our backs were out numbered

To me we lack ball carriers, when have plenty of the the Syd Uni high workrate clones, but need some explosive back up who are able to bend the line near the ruck. Palu will be here for one more season, we need succession planning.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
looks like Nadalo is planning on playing for Fiji, well wants to at least. From a tweet:

@the_cook hey cook yeah I'm done with the marlins fly off to fiji today to b in the squad the head off to france

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Noddy said:
looks like Nadalo is planning on playing for Fiji, well wants to at least. From a tweet:

Has he been released from his Tahs contract? Cant recall seeing the official announcement.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
TheRiddler said:
Noddy said:

Has he been released from his Tahs contract? Cant recall seeing the official announcement.

Who is going to argue with him ?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
TheRiddler said:
Noddy said:

What contract? The Tahs don't have any games coming up and they can't stop him from international duty.

TheRiddler

Dave Cowper (27)
Surely as a contracted player he is/was bound to the NSWRU/Waratahs until a certain date with permission to play for a Shute Shield team (in his case Manly). Legally, he would therefore need dispensation from that contract to play for another team not associated with NSW, i.e. a club team in Fiji or France?

Question is, what is the expiry date on his contract and why have the Tahs given up on him/not renewed it?

Cyril Towers (30)
Noddy said:
historically all contracts have been up in OCtober/November I believe.

My understanding too, Noddy. Contracts go from Nov 1 to Oct 31 because pre season training starts on Nov 1.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
thinking about player recruitment, where are the Tahs weak or in need of reinforcement?

I'm not convinced that the Waratahs need to bulk up or bring in bigger blokes. If they are planning on employing the same tactics around the ruck as they did against the Stormers they will need to be bigger, but then the other teams will find ways around them.

I would aim to have the fittest and best drilled forwards in the competition - and then employ tactics that take advantage of these traits. For drawing the big Stormers defenders in, how about having two pods in motion as forward options rather than just one? Then vary the tactic by bringing in a winger at an angle, or passing behind to the backs for either a crash ball back in or letting it go wide. Once the defence is a bit stressed, go with pop balls and pick and drives.

With skill, fitness and mobility (and good use of the bench) they could run anyone ragged.

On to recruitment:

with full fitness the starting 15 is pretty strong, but with injuries and rotation the gaps open up.

First priority must be cover for Rob Horne (ideally someone who can play in other positions too)

Robinson, Baxter, Tilse, Ryan, Kepu is a sufficient number of props

TPN and Fitzpatrick plus one more hooker required

Douglas (he'll keep growing for the next 3-4 years, so will be a real monster) and Mumm (stick with lock I think) are good starters, plus Dennis for me, especially as he can play 6 too. If Caldwell is up to it I'd like to see him in the squad too. Jowitt and Roodt can pack their bags as far as I'm concerned. So at least one more needed here.

Mowen, Waugh, Palu to start, with McCutcheon and Alcock in the mix too. Who are the players being groomed to replace Waugh and Palu? If we don't have them yet, we'd better get them soon, and give them game time.

Burgess is starting to hit some form. Does Will Genia have a twin brother? I think we need a better second option (or maybe a better first option)

Can Sidey play wing or fullback? If not, we need cover for Beale, Mitchell and Turner. Anesi can go back to NZ to help the underperforming Kiwi teams.

Who is out there? Aussies only please.

S

simonr

Agree with Langthorne, cover needed at 12/13 and cover(slash new starter) for 9. I also think that if Alcock is going to be the answer to a departing Waugh, he needs more game time next year. We seem to have a lot of 6s in the squad (dennis, mowen, McCutcheon, Mumm) but no real 7. another monster 8 would be good too, but they would likely get itchy feet playing behind Palu (like Hoiles did).

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Noddy said:
Langthorne said:
Robinson, Baxter, Tilse, Ryan, Kepu is a sufficient number of props

you have to sign him first!

That does worry me a lot. I know it may just be process and formalities, but every day it drags on just adds some doubt.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Rugby smart arse said:
another monster 8 would be good too, but they would likely get itchy feet playing behind Palu (like Hoiles did).
Hoiles was never a monster 8...

Status
Not open for further replies.