• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
What fatprop said
HSBC Waratahs secure Dave Dennis for two more seasons

Versatile forward Dave Dennis has declined other offers to remain with the HSBC Waratahs, announcing a new two-year deal today.

Prior to this season Dennis had played just one Super 14 match back in 2007, however he has already played five matches this year.

Upon signing, Dennis said that while his decision was based on football, there were a number of other factors which influenced his decision.

If possible, I always wanted to stay in Sydney,” said Dennis. “It’s where I’ve always lived, my family and my friends are here and I also want to be a part of what the squad and the staff here have developed.

“I feel I’m moving forward as a player and although I’ve been here for quite a while it’s the first time I’ve really been able to make a consistent contribution to the team. It wouldn’t be ideal to turn my back on that now that I’ve made it to where I’ve always wanted to be.

“I know I’ve got a lot more to offer the Tahs and I think we’re looking at some exciting times ahead in the next few years. Right now though, we’re concentrating on 2010 and now that I’ve got my future sorted it’s nice to be able to just get on with playing footy.”

Dennis earned three caps for Australian Schools out of Richmond High School in 2004 and entered the NSW Rugby framework soon after. In 2007 he made his Super 14 debut against the Crusaders while still on an Academy contract, and later that year played for the Melbourne Rebels in the Mazda Australian Rugby Championship.

A knee injury during the ARC required surgery, however his comeback in 2008 was cruelled when he blew out his other knee in his first field session back. Dennis spent the remainder of the season in rehab but helped out off the field by helping to coach the Sydney University Colts team to Grand Final victory.

Season 2009 was unarguably a turning point in Dennis’ career, with his form for Sydney University particularly impressive. He skippered the team through the first half of the season, and despite being a preferred backrower, played lock on the way to another Uni premiership.

His back end season form earned him a place in the Wallaby train on squad for the Spring Tour, and his commitment throughout the training camp saw him selected on the trip to Japan and Europe. After playing two midweek matches for the Wallabies, Dennis returned home to sign a one-year deal with NSW and has gone on to feature in five of the opening six rounds this season.

Dave Dennis

Position: Lock/Backrow
Physical: 192cm, 108kg
Born: 10 January 1986, Sydney NSW
School: Richmond High School
Club: Sydney University
State Caps: 6
State Points: 0
State Debut: 2007 v Crusaders
Super Rugby Caps: 6
Super Rugby Points: 0
Super Rugby Debut: 2007 v Crusaders

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So the only Tahs player leaving so far is Palmer?

So far.........................

You would have to be happy with that, new teams comes in and the team re-signs with no players on pro contracts going to the rebels

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
as I said in the Blog, the Tahs have done an awesome job. Not only re-signing key players, but also signing up the youngies like Ryan, McCaffrey and the 7s skipper.

I guess they also have an import contract up their sleeve too right? Anesi is only a year isn't he?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Noddy said:
as I said in the Blog, the Tahs have done an awesome job. Not only re-signing key players, but also signing up the youngies like Ryan, McCaffrey and the 7s skipper.

I guess they also have an import contract up their sleeve too right? Anesi is only a year isn't he?

I hope so, I actually think they have a squad to not need him.

In the end I think he has offered us little and cost us Betham.

Beale, Mitchell & Turner are all decent 15 options

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
fatprop said:
So the only Tahs player leaving so far is Palmer?

So far.........................

You would have to be happy with that, new teams comes in and the team re-signs with no players on pro contracts going to the rebels

Obviously Hickey must be doing something right to have so many satisfied customers.

Oh, let me guess...we won't credit him for this at all will we Tahs "fans" ?

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Lee Grant said:
Nice one naza. :) :) :)

No wind up.

If Hickey is shit then:
- why is there ZERO gossip/criticism out of the Tahs
- why has nobody bailed ?
- why are they still drawing talent like Naza at the Ivy ?

C

CanadianRugby

Damn good point Naza.

Maybe he has pictures of Waugh in a unflattering position?

Lindommer

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
fatprop said:
New South Wales Waratahs lock in Dave Dennis for two more seasons

Not good for Australian rugby. Dennis and Mowen should both be starting at this stage of their careers, not on the bench wondering when when they're going to replace the other on the field. This fifth team's supposed to improve depth in Oz rugby; the Tahs and Brumbies hoarding five-eighths and the Tahs having too many hookers and blindside breakaways isn't doing Oz rugby, or these players, any favours.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Lindommer said:
fatprop said:

Not good for Australian rugby. Dennis and Mowen should both be starting at this stage of their careers, not on the bench wondering when when they're going to replace the other on the field. This fifth team's supposed to improve depth in Oz rugby; the Tahs and Brumbies hoarding five-eighths and the Tahs having too many hookers and blindside breakaways isn't doing Oz rugby, or these players, any favours.

how are they hording five-eighths? botht he brumbies and tahs have three and there playing one at I2, so twin playmakers and a reserve. pretty much exactly how every team would like to run isnt it?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Lindommer said:
fatprop said:

This might point to Palu's departure. I hope not.

S

Spook

matty_k said:
Palu and Waugh must be close to finishing up. So wouldn't it be logical to have some class back rowers waiting in the wings.

At 27?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Spook said:
matty_k said:
Palu and Waugh must be close to finishing up. So wouldn't it be logical to have some class back rowers waiting in the wings.

At 27?

not to hang em up, but to take a break to france/england/japan is entirely possible.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
Lindommer said:
fatprop said:

i agree that these boys should be seeking out game time like the holy grail and getting their butts in a squad where they can truly develop. but having said that, isn't it up to them to make that decision? are the tahs/brumbs really to blame?

so maybe the players won't make as much, but they get the opportunity which in itself has value. this is even assuming that the tahs/brumbs/whoever is being blamed out-bid the rebels for these players to the value that no one would cross over. do i think that happened with every one of them? no. and if that was the case, the rebels are being a bunch of penny pinching bastards. or maybe there is something so unattractive about melbourne that we don't know about that players aren't interested.

but it strikes me as odd that so few up-and-comers are taking the chance to move out from someone's shadow.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
you say "not good for australian rugby" but if dennis signs with melbourne and becomes a regular wallaby, then nsw are stupid for letting him go, works both ways.

Cyril Towers (30)
Newb said:
Lindommer said:
fatprop said:

i agree that these boys should be seeking out game time like the holy grail and getting their butts in a squad where they can truly develop. but having said that, isn't it up to them to make that decision? are the tahs/brumbs really to blame?

so maybe the players won't make as much, but they get the opportunity which in itself has value. this is even assuming that the tahs/brumbs/whoever is being blamed out-bid the rebels for these players to the value that no one would cross over. do i think that happened with every one of them? no. and if that was the case, the rebels are being a bunch of penny pinching bastards. or maybe there is something so unattractive about melbourne that we don't know about that players aren't interested.

but it strikes me as odd that so few up-and-comers are taking the chance to move out from someone's shadow.

I'm pretty sure this is not a money issue. From what I hear most of these guys are being offered more money to move. They're not going because:
1. They're happy with the coaching and structure at the tahs
2. They think the tahs have a reasonable chance of success in S14/S15
3. They think this is the best way to advance their career prospects
4. The fact that no one seems to be signing with the Rebels scares them. No one wants to lead the way (except Laurie Weeks who would do anything to get out of Qld)

Status
Not open for further replies.