• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
I would have thought Turner is too light & upright for 13 at that level. He will be demolished in contact and driven backwards.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
One point made above that I think should be emphasised is the nature of the trial system. Normally the first and second trials (in this case the first only) are used to accomplish two things - to blow out the cobwebs and to try out all the left-field ideas that the coaches have had over the summer. The last trial usually is used to sharpen up the first team before the beginning of the comp proper and to retrial anything that seemed to work really well in the weeks before. Given that the Tah squad is very settled from last year, the two trial only program makes sense on paper and reduces the pre-season injury risk. So what's been announced so far exactly matches trial theory and if people want to know what's really on the head coach's mind, have a look at the final trial because barring injuries or people rested, that's who is going to run out week 1.

The key problem the Tahs have on selections is who to pick at 12 & 13. The rest is almost a done deal. But that is so murky that it could be as late as round 5 before we get some certainty, especially as I hope Horne gets eased back via the bench this campaign. At 12 you have got Carter, Halangahu, Holmes, Cross and Horne as options; at 13 you have Carter, Horne, Cross, BKH, Turner and now Kingston (did I miss anyone?). Of those, only Carter-Cross and Carter-Horne would be well understood and the question of who gets selected first up against the Rebels is coloured by the fact that they will probably be facing Vuna-Mortlock so you have to pick big strong tacklers or you'll get smashed. It looks like this week we will be trying Carter-Turner and Cross-Turner with a bit of Cross-Kingston. You can never have too much information.

Personally I think THE most important thing I want to see is increased physicality from the Tah forwards. We could still be crap in the centres and win the comp but unless the Tah forwards become feared for their physicality rather than respected for their nouse, we cannot take home the trophy.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I would have thought Turner is too light & upright for 13 at that level. He will be demolished in contact and driven backwards.

Turner would have to be heavier than Jason Little, but I don't believe Little was "demolished in contact". Before you can tackle a player you have to close the gap between himself and yourself. With some players that's not so easy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, but Jason Little played in the amateur era where he faced up against the likes of Jeremy Guscott et al. When professional rugby hit, and the Wallabies started to get serious (under McQueen) Little was generally benched for the bulkier Herbert.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
more info

NSW Waratahs coach Chris Hickey to give Ryan Cross opportunity to secure inside centre berth

* By Bret Harris
* The Australian
* February 02, 2011 8:37AM

NSW Waratahs coach Chris Hickey will play Lachie Turner at outside centre in the trial match against Fiji, giving new recruit Ryan Cross an opportunity to stake a claim for the inside centre position.

"Thinking ahead towards our bench and being able to cover different positions, it's a good option to look at him there.

"On the back of his form in the Shute Shield for Eastwood he handled that particularly well."

Hickey could easily have started Cross at outside centre, but he is anxious to assess him as an inside centre.

Cross has played most of his rugby at outside centre, but he played a lot of inside centre for the Force last season and his strong running in close helped the team cross the advantage line.

"We felt we had a good understanding of what Ryan could offer at 13, but we wanted to see him at 12," Hickey said.

"Tommy Carter will play the first two quarters and then Ryan will come on and play two quarters.

"They have both been competing really hard throughout the preseason and we thought having a look at those two would give us a bit more clarity around the No 12 position."

Carter admitted he was under more pressure to hold down the starting inside centre position with competition from Cross.

"That's really stating the obvious," Carter said.

"That added pressure hopefully makes you a better player.

"We just want to win a Super rugby title. It's great to have him across. He's a Test centre. I think he's probably got a bit to prove as well."

Another recruit winger Afa Pakalani, from Auckland, will partner Kurtley Beale and Drew Mitchell in the back three.

Wallaby loosehead prop Benn Robinson will sit out the game with a slight calf strain, with Sekope Kepu starting in the No 1 jersey.

Cam Jowitt (foot) and Locky McCaffrey (leg/ankle) have long-term injuries, while Horne, Brackin Karauria-Henry (back) and Pat McCutcheon (back) are hoping for game time before the round one match against the Melbourne Rebels in three weeks.

Horne is on track to make his comeback in the trial against Western Force in Nowra next Thursday night.

"Rob started contact training with us at the back of last week and will continue through this week and will be reassessed," Hickey said.

"We are optimistic he will come through that OK and if he does, we'd like to give him some time in the Force trial."

The Waratahs have released Daniel Halangahu, Damien Fitzpatrick, Jeremy Tilse, Pat O'Connor and Brendan McKibbin to the Australian Barbarians for the trial match with Western Force at TG Millner Field in Sydney on Sunday.

Meanwhile, the Waratahs have added former Australian Schoolboys representative Tom Kingston to their squad on a rookie contract.

The Queensland Reds have been bolstered by the return from injury of Rob Simmons, Ben Lucas, Ed Quirk, Jake Schatz and Dom Shipperley for their trial with the Brumbies in Darwin on Friday night.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Notwithstanding my post immediately above about the predictability of trials, I will be sweating on a full report on both trials, so please don't let us down. There's no TV coverage anywhere I know of and Adelaide is a long way from home.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
I'm planning on live coverage from the ground, through a Cover It Live widget on the front page... still working on the finer details such as Internet access but hoping it'll all come together.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
what is Tom Kingston's story? A late signing to a rookie contract? Only reserve grade last year right?

A product of St Aloysius’ College in Kirribilli, Tom Kingston represented NSW and Australian Schools in 2009 before joining Sydney University last year.

Bypassing Colts, Kingston settled straight into grade establishing his place in the No.13 jersey in second grade.

He earned a rookie contract early in 2011 after an impressive pre-season training alongside the Super Rugby squad with the HSBC Junior Waratahs.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
I know that Aloys had a gun year the year after mine, and Kingston was at the lead (really lanky bloke at the time). Perhaps Bruce can tell us more, but the class of 2009 had a heap of talent at aloys (even though most where a bit jocky, and assholes), A huge humber of those guys repped compared to usual for Aloys.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
1 year should have been enough for Uni to coach the skill, flair, and ball skills out of the youngster.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yet to play first grade, picked for Tahs

* Jon Geddes
* February 04, 2011 12:00AM

Tom Kingston
749038-tom-kingston.jpg

Talented youngster ... Waratahs player Tom Kingston. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

TEENAGE centre Tom Kingston has never played a game of first-grade rugby but tonight he will make his debut for the Waratahs in their trial against Fiji at the Sydney Football Stadium.

He is the bolter in the NSW squad who won a fulltime rookie contract this week after impressing the coaching staff since being called up to fill in at training before Christmas.

"Every pre-season there are always one or two young players who come through and really catch your eye through their application, their attitude and their ability level," Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said.

"And certainly this year Tom Kingston has been one of those players in our pre-season squad."

Nobody has been more surprised by his rapid rise to the Waratahs ranks than Kingston himself.

"It's such a strong side - really as a 19-year-old you don't expect to play a part," Kingston admitted.

"I was just learning from all the Wallabies and took every opportunity that came."

After representing the Australian Schoolboys in 2009, the former St Aloysius College student played for Sydney University last year but never cracked first grade and was struck down with glandular fever mid-season.

He had expected to spend this year trying to cement a top-grade spot with Uni, a goal he still hopes to achieve.

But right now Kingston is coming to grips with the fact he is training alongside the likes of stars Phil Waugh, Cliffy Palu, Berrick Barnes and Kurtley Beale.

"It's crazy, it's all really new to me," he said.

And he is showing the benefits of all that hard work he has put in with the Waratahs, adding 7kg of muscle to his frame.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah - it's been a problem. The players haven't been too bad - Carter isn't as dud as folks say - it's how they work together. In fact the whole 10, 12, 13 nexus hasn't been that great in that time.

I haven't seen Tom Kingston play since he left school. I went to see Uni play Manly in a night game last year and according to my programme Kingston was playing in 3rd grade; so I missed him. That was at the end of August - he's come a long way since then hasn't he?

Status
Not open for further replies.