• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Have you watching him turn and chase? Particularly bad at chasing a ball chipped behind. I suppose he'll be less exposed to that at 13... Maybe this will work

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It depends whether the injury would keep him out of a real game

McCutcheon has a slipped disc in his back. I don't think he could play with it. They generally need a month to month and a half to recover, but not too sure when he did it. His brother said he would definitely be back for the first home game.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
He is a worker on his game, his defence is near the best in the country now and his hands have improved. Now all he has to do is work out how to beat a defender

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
best in country? You can't judge that as a winger. He didn't miss a tackle last year, but that was on the wing, he'll be tested more at 13.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Defending in the centres is at least three times harder than defending on the wing.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
Dunno if I agree with that; some outsides just slide and push the defenders towards the wing. Inside takes heavy crash ball a lot of the time.

**cough**TomCarterisunder-rated**endcough**

Outside centre being the hardest from a positional point of view.

He didnt do too bad for Eastwood, but i doubt he will see much game time there during Super Rugby considering Tom Kingston (is an Aloysian RF) has just been elevated to a Super Rugby contract.

... Does this mean he's out of favour with the Tahs or what?

If anyone is out of favour, it is Anesi (thank god) or Brackin Kuraria-Henry unless he is playing Aus Baabaas too?

Also, interesting that Anesi is TBC on Tahs website, he plays for Easts doesnt he???

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Defending in the centres is at least three times harder than defending on the wing.

I think defending on the wing, at least in a positional sense is much harder than at 13. eg. Are they going to kick/chip, does the winger need to rush up to the line or drop back. Furthermore they are defending usually with players running full speed who are usually good on their feet...

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
best in country? You can't judge that as a winger. He didn't miss a tackle last year, but that was on the wing, he'll be tested more at 13.

Well Reg, you can judge whether he did a job that was given to him in defence, and he did. Yeah, he'll be more tested.
I mean Cooper is given all sorts of latitude and he doesn't even tackle.
Let's see what he does.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
agree, and if Lachie made breaks and set up tries like Quade I'd be first in line (probably 2nd behind my son) to support him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Crikey, I think that we are getting too carried away reading tea leaves. Trials don't mean a damn thing; never have, never will, though the last one has the most significance. I'll be more interested in who is playing in the second game against the Force next week. Barring injuries that will be the real team.

Will be good to see recent schoolboys Peterson and Sio in action plus THP Ryan who played for Joeys and Oz Schools with Gilbert.

Interesting the comments about Kingston. I thought he got a contract in the "Sevens attached to a Super squad" category, for want of a better description, but it looks like he has a real Super Rugby contract. If that is the case he has superseded Bennetts and (Cameron) Mitchell in the old Tahs Academy pecking order. He was a very good schools player but had a few injuries (and yes, like Pat McCabe, he is a St. Aloysius lad).

It's good to see a lad get an opportunity for work on the training paddock. Well done Tom.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
agree, and if Lachie made breaks and set up tries like Quade I'd be first in line (probably 2nd behind my son) to support him.

the good points of quade would mean so much more if for every try he put on he didnt let one through.
if a player has to hide on the field in defence or attack there not as good as anyone thinks they are.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
in fact I am coming around to Lachie as a 13. He is a superb athlete and could be in the Jason Little mould, although I have question marks over Lachie's ability to set up his outside men.

He'd be a fine gap runner, and outside Barnes that's not a bad thing to have - assuming its cover for Horne, or if its a real success, perhaps Horne shifts to 12. In fact a backline of 12 Horne, 13 Turner, 11 Michell 14 the kiwi 15 Beale is pretty bloody fast if nothing else.

I fear a 12 Carter 13 Turner combo would be one of the most one dimensional centre pairings going around, but with the right man inside, it could work a treat.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
Some interesting and integral fringe players in that BaaBaas side. Hope that reflects what he said in the article, not that they're on the outer...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I agree, but I said "near", not "the best". Turner is very effective and "safe", and yeah Carter and Turner wouldn't be optimal but as a back up option? Not bad.

He did to very well @13 for Eastwood when they were short, strong defensively and scored a few tries.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Right fatprop. This is a trial and in the absence of Horne gives Hickey a chance to see if Turner's good turn at 13 for Eastwood in 2010 can transpose into a good stint there in a Super team. Hickey knows the strengths and weaknesses of Cross and all he needs is 60-80 minutes over Friday and Saturday. Nothing to get excited about using Turner at outside centre.

Using Turner at 13 means that we can have a look at Pakalani play on the wing. He's a livewire.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Turner is also different from the other options at 13; Carter runs into contact and occasinally offloads, Horne and Cross also run into contact put are much better offloaders but Turner is probably faster than the lot and likes to try and beat his opposite number on the outside, which brings up a two on one with him and his winger against the opposition winger.

Even if Turner doesn't play 13 this year, it would be a great sight to see he and Horne at 13 and 12 respectively when they have (say) a midfield scrum and split the backs left and right.

Turner's development as a thirteen option reminds me of the sort of backline player Deans likes to pick; has anyone else thought that Deans picks backline with a approach like that of the "Total Football" concept? That is, every player is interchangeable and can play every other position well.

Enough LG-ing from me for today I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.