• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
They have to try to get supporters, players and media to remember the rugby they played against the Hurricanes as the goal for the team and not the dross they played against the Brumbies

I guess this comes down to the whole 'entertaining' buzz word which we determine rugby by these days.

Is it all about the football, though? Or do we expect more entertainment from everything inside the turnstiles, from the ground announcer to the on-ground MC, run-on music, refereeing interpretations, etc.

Like you said, if they can play the footy they did against the Hurricanes then that would be great, but is it more than that... things the team can't even control?

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Yeah - if they can play like they did against the Canes and the Tribe in the last pool games of 2010 we will be happy campers.

It is all very well to talk about the Tahs scoring a lot of tries last year, and they did, but the Lions gave up a few with poor defence. In general, they didn't have a go too many times and looked like a Euro team in December or January trying to deal with the snow, rain and mud, they were that conservative.

But let's cut them a bit of slack now and see what happens; at least Hickey is making the right noises now about attacking play. Methinks there has been a message from the board to the CEO about why can't the Tahs play, dare I sat it, more like Queensland, and thereby get more bums on seats.

I liked this part:

''Physicality and our power game are areas where we've made significant process. We identified at the end of last season that it was an area we wanted to target and the players have made some really good gains. We feel we are well prepared to deal with the physicality of the bigger teams.''

I thought that the Tahs took a step back in physicality last year, even against Oz teams, though they stepped up against the Brumbies. They were out-muscled by the Stormers twice in 2010 and it would have been good to have seen the contrast in 2011 but they don't play them in the pool games.

They''ve talked the talk on physicality and attacking play; lets seem them walk it.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Agree Lee. Iain Payten wrote in an article this week that McCutcheon was really aggressive in the midweek matches on the Spring Tour and although I didn't see it, aggression usually translates to a good level of physicality.

That said, he is smaller than Dennis and Mowen who along with Mumm are probably the three which need to step up in that department. Weight figures on the Tahs website show those three are all bigger than last year (Mowen now 115kg, Mumm now 113kg, Dennis now 113kg) so if they can use that in collisions and breakdowns, they should improve there. O'Connor is naturally big and aggressive, as is Douglas. One player who is a smoky for a bench spot if aggression is a focus is definitely Tilse. I think he made a lot of people reconsider their opinion with his late showing in what was otherwise a disastrous Highlanders match.

Robinson, Polota-Nau, Baxter, Mumm, Waugh and Palu pick themselves in the starting pack, so the combination of O'Connor, Douglas, McCutcheon, Dennis and Mowen are probably vying for selection based on physicality and impact. [Shame Jowitt isn't available yet as he showed those qualities in the trials and rd1 last year.]

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
That said, he is smaller than Dennis and Mowen who along with Mumm are probably the three which need to step up in that department. Weight figures on the Tahs website show those three are all bigger than last year (Mowen now 115kg, Mumm now 113kg, Dennis now 113kg) so if they can use that in collisions and breakdowns, they should improve there. O'Connor is naturally big and aggressive, as is Douglas. One player who is a smoky for a bench spot if aggression is a focus is definitely Tilse. I think he made a lot of people reconsider their opinion with his late showing in what was otherwise a disastrous Highlanders match.

Robinson, Polota-Nau, Baxter, Douglas, Waugh and Palu pick themselves in the starting pack, so the combination of O'Connor, Mumm, McCutcheon, Dennis and Mowen are probably vying for selection based on physicality and impact.

Small correction: I reckon that based on 2010 Mumm is the player who really needs to step up to retain his spot. His lineout work keeps him there as first choice at the moment but if someone else emerges who can jump and have real impact in the open then Mumm will be on the bench as the lock super-sub.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
If dimwit can step up to the 4 shirt though, surely you'd throw mumm in at 6 over either Dennis or mowen? Agree he needs to step up, but he's already a step ahead of those 2 (2 steps in the case of mowen). I'd really like to see someone control a second row spot for the season.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I would love to see Tom Carter play a game at 10.

I grew up in an age where beer was the stimulant of choice but I wouldn't mind having a go at whatever #1 Tah is smoking just to appreciate how much it alters perception.

I happen to believe that under a different coaching regime Tommy certainly has the ability to make it at the international level at 12, and I think a lot of people will be surprised at how well he goes in this year's Super competition.

But I must confess that the idea of a 10 who can't kick to save himself playing quarterback doesn't enthuse me.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
I grew up in an age where beer was the stimulant of choice but I wouldn't mind having a go at whatever #1 Tah is smoking just to appreciate how much it alters perception.

I happen to believe that under a different coaching regime Tommy certainly has the ability to make it at the international level at 12, and I think a lot of people will be surprised at how well he goes in this year's Super competition.

But I must confess that the idea of a 10 who can't kick to save himself playing quarterback doesn't enthuse me.

It was more of a "see how he goes". There is no way I would want to see TC at 10 during an actual super rugby game

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Mowen now bigger and faster for Waratahs
Rupert Guinness
January 31, 2011

FOR all the athleticism and agility Ben Mowen has shown as a Waratahs back-rower, he has lacked the bulk and strength to be the line-breaking ball carrier NSW need.

This became evident last year when NSW lost the defence-wrecking Wycliff Palu to injury.

However, if Mowen's appearance after eight months of training in readiness for the new Super Rugby season is any indication, that is all about to change. The Mowen of today is far different to that of last season, when NSW were physically shown up.
Advertisement: Story continues below

Mowen's body weight has risen from 101kg to 114kg. Even better, he believes he has bulked up without losing his speed, which was one of his big fears when others advised him that he needed to become bigger and stronger if he was to get the best out of himself.

But after last year's Super 14, most of which Palu missed due to knee injury, it was obvious to all that the Waratahs needed bigger ball carriers.

So Mowen, 26, sat down with Waratahs forwards coach Michael Foley and Peter McDonald's strength and conditioning team to work out a plan.

''That was one of the big discussions I had with 'Foles' and the strength and conditioning staff, that if I did put on my weight it had to be good weight and over a long period of time,'' Mowen said.

''So it's been solid training and eating and changing a few structures to get the weight to come on.

''It's been a good eight months … I feel nice and quick on the field. I feel the same on my feet as I did before I put the weight on. That's a good sign.''

Mowen said all Waratahs realised that the side's lack of depth in brute strength up front was exposed when Palu was sidelined last year.

''After losing 'Cliffy' we lost one of our main ball carriers,'' he said. ''The other guys had to share a lot more of that load. Looking back at the season, we found that we lacked that ability to really penetrate the line. We needed to get more big ball carriers.

''It was a good opportunity for me to try and change my game and become more like that bigger-style player.''

As his 12kg makeover continued, Mowen - who says his preferred position is No.6 but can cover at No.8 and ''at a pinch'' second row - was surprised to learn that his concerns about losing speed and agility were not only unfounded, he had actually improved in those areas.

His increased strength has boosted his vertical jump from 64cm to 76cm. That has converted to lineout jumping.

''One of the big things we measured when the weight was coming on - to see if it was good - was through vertical jump tests,'' Mowen said.

''The weight that was coming on was allowing me to be more explosive.''

Even one of his lifters, Waratahs tighthead prop Al Baxter, is surprised how easy it is to lift the bulkier Mowen.

''Al said to me the other day, 'You don't even notice you have put on weight,''' Mowen said.

''That's good because my lineout is my difference in skills - that's where I am strongest and I didn't want to do anything that would put that in jeopardy.''

Mowen - who has 28 Super caps, of which 27 are with NSW - can't wait to put his new self to the test on Friday night when the Waratahs play a Super Rugby trial match against Fiji at Sydney Football Stadium.

''You always get that physical component [against Fiji] that you are after,'' Mowen said. ''But you are also getting a chance to play and defend against some really good open structured attack, which is one of their better strengths.''

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Mowen's body weight has risen from 101kg to 114kg.

I have him listed as 106kgs last year and if that is right** an 8% gain in weight, whilst not compromising speed and hopefully, not affecting his ability to last in a game either, would almost certainly be a good thing. On the other hand: I have often mentioned that he plays a light game and I wasn't talking just about his weight, if you know what I mean.

Extra weight is not the end all for rugby players though the T5 forwards need a bit of bulk. Let's see if the extra weight has the effect that the article indicates - and I hope it does.

** I always question the Tahs weights in the programmes. They had Gilbert in at 94 kgs for 2 years yet you could see how fat he was sometimes.

One player who is a smoky for a bench spot if aggression is a focus is definitely Tilse. I think he made a lot of people reconsider their opinion with his late showing in what was otherwise a disastrous Highlanders match.

Shame Jowitt isn't available yet as he showed those qualities in the trials and rd1 last year.

Agree on Tilse and Jowitt. I was looking forward to Jowitt having a good season after a storming trial at Viking Park but it was not to be. There was serendipity about his injury in Rd1 last year though (and the suspension of Mumm.) It saw the rise of Douglas.

Tilse used to be a bit of a joke but as you say: in that Highlander game he was the only ray of light for the Tahs.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
An 8% increase in bodyweight, whether is effects speed/fitness or not, would still take a long time to get used to.

I'd expect we'll see Mowen battle to come to terms with this over a week or two of games.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Nah, just improve Mowen's weaknesses

If they can improve his destructive impact in attack and defence without diluting his lineout skills then he will be the 6 we need to partner Cliffy. 2009 he led the comp in lineout steals. I want to see that sort of impact in 2011 along with some Cliffy-like runs and tackles. He is one of the Tahs forwards who needs to impose himself on the other top packs if we are to be contenders this year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If they can improve his destructive impact in attack and defence without diluting his lineout skills then he will be the 6 we need to partner Cliffy. 2009 he led the comp in lineout steals. I want to see that sort of impact in 2011 along with some Cliffy-like runs and tackles. He is one of the Tahs forwards who needs to impose himself on the other top packs if we are to be contenders this year.

As does Mumm, too many times, even in club, he wasn't dominating the tackle - in attack or defense.

Mowen is big enough to carry the weight at 195cm, I really like to see "rangy" players Douglas and Mowen building up - hopefully in a way that has increased strength & endurance as well as sheer weight.

MrMouse

Bob Loudon (25)
As does Mumm, too many times, even in club, he wasn't dominating the tackle - in attack or defense.

Mowen is big enough to carry the weight at 195cm, I really like to see "rangy" players Douglas and Mowen building up - hopefully in a way that has increased strength & endurance as well as sheer weight.

I agree about Mumm, but I think his problems are all in his head. If he could get that screwed on straight, he'd be amongst the first picked in most teams.

It will be really interesting to see how the extra weight affects Mowen's workrate, and I guess some steamy trials in February are the perfect place to find out. Definite +1 with Hawko's comments on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.