• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
That is extraordinarily bad news for Horne who is extremely talented. I had assumed that his latest injury was related to his previous hamstring and groin problems. But it probably offers Cross the opportunity to get his career back on track in what should be a very competitive team.

B

BRIX

New Kiwi recruits: Waratahs & Brumbies

The Waratahs and Brumbies have sneaked under the guard of the All Blacks by signing two of New Zealand's most promising young wingers for the next two seasons.

Afa Pakalani, who is nicknamed "The Tongan Hitman" has been recruited by NSW while Henry Speight will play in Canberra after both were spotted running around in New Zealand's ITM Cup this season.

Pakalani captained Tonga at the 2009 Under-20 World Championships and was also voted Auckland's most promising NPC player last year.

"We have obviously been keeping an eye on the ITM Cup as well as the Currie Cup and saw a couple of really good performances for him," Waratahs coach Chris Hickey said.

"He is very quick, very agile, good under the high ball and a strong tackler."

Pakalani is the cousin of Sekope Kepu, who also moved across the Tasman to join the Waratahs in 2008.

The 20-year-old Pakalani is known as a winger but can also play fullback and fly-half.

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

Fiji-born Speight, 22, will play for Waikato alongside the Waratahs' Sosene Anesi in the ITM Cup final against Canterbury tonight and could become something special.

The 97kg, 186cm back has been signed as an international development player and will eventually be eligible to play for the Wallabies.

Brumbies coach Andy Friend has been watching Speight for the past two months and came away impressed by his speed and size.

"What I really like about him is that he is not afraid of contact," Friend said.

"He is a very good footballer and brings real pace and excitement to what is shaping up to be a very dynamic backline."

The Waratahs have filled their squad for 2011, while the Brumbies have one spot left.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
That is extraordinarily bad news for Horne who is extremely talented. I had assumed that his latest injury was related to his previous hamstring and groin problems. But it probably offers Cross the opportunity to get his career back on track in what should be a very competitive team.

How is your elbow connected to groin and hamstring?

My understanding was that Horne's hamstring injuries (and groin) was linked to his running style and weak muscle groups. Sort of like Elsom and Tuhu, under stress their running style made their hamstring's fail. I don't understand how that makes your elbow weak.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Ok, the injury is bad news, but he might be out until June, and might be right by February...I hope he only plays when he is right to go, and fingers crossed that is soon.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
please Hickey give jersey 22 to BKH and not Anesi or pakalalala

Given the awe in which Hickey holds Anesi (see all his public comments, sickening) BKH probably has to wait till season 2012 to have the remotest chance unless half the backline are crocked.

R

Red Rooster

Re: Speight

NZ rugby isn't that dumb - if they had offers on the table they would not have left - I suggest they might have a surplus of options in the power winger department

D

dbla

Given the awe in which Hickey holds Anesi (see all his public comments, sickening) BKH probably has to wait till season 2012 to have the remotest chance unless half the backline are crocked.

Which I think is a seriously bad idea after watching the NPC final. Anesi was all over the shop in terms of positional play and his kicking game stinks. In my opinion tahs would be much better in going with BKH on the bench.

S120

Chris McKivat (8)
Given a fully fit squad and Vickerman being back at some point in the season, I'd like to see something like the following:

1. Robinson
2. TPN
3. Kepu
4. Vickerman (of course he will take some time to regain match fitness and blah blah blah)
5. Douglas
6. Mumm
7. Waugh
8. Palu
9. Burgess
10. Barnes
11. Mitchell
12. BKH (would love to see him get a starting XV spot and have seen him do well at 12 but in all likelihood it will be Carter)
13. Horne
14. Turner
15. Beale

16. Fitzpatrick
17. Baxter
18. O'Connor/Dennis (we have Mumm in the XV so we could go in with 2 backrowers with added mobility on the bench potentially)
19. McCutcheon/Mowen (I really rate McCutcheon, so I'd much prefer him)
20. Holmes
21. Halangahu
22. Cross/Anesi

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We have some great depth everywhere but the centres. How far we go depends on Horne I reckon

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Which I think is a seriously bad idea after watching the NPC final. Anesi was all over the shop in terms of positional play and his kicking game stinks. In my opinion tahs would be much better in going with BKH on the bench.

Now I didn't notice that but I'm far from a back so I'll concede it probably happened.

However, one can't fault Anesi's willingness to enter the physical contest in the ITM Cup, It shows he is making some kind of improvements (and physicality was his major issue for the Tahs).

Yes yes, he mightn't be a good Super rugby standard but the fact he started over Christian Leliafano means that coaches other then Hickey must rate him too.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
What do we think of TPN going to England? Great to get fitness and game time or horrible for recovery purposes

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Too early to tell, depends how much game time they give him and how far along in his recovery he is at the moment. We currently know neither, so I suppose time will tell.

D

dbla

Now I didn't notice that but I'm far from a back so I'll concede it probably happened.

However, one can't fault Anesi's willingness to enter the physical contest in the ITM Cup, It shows he is making some kind of improvements (and physicality was his major issue for the Tahs).

Yes yes, he mightn't be a good Super rugby standard but the fact he started over Christian Leliafano means that coaches other then Hickey must rate him too.

I'd be lying if I said I was a back but from what I could tell he wasn't in the right position the majority of the time to take the kicks sent his way comfortably, more often than not I remember him scrambling to get to a kick then letting rip a shocker himself. Maybe the cantebury kicking game was that good but it didn't seem that way to me. While it was an improvment on his super 14 I still think he hangs back a little too much, nothing to really base that on but just a feeling from the game. I think the reason he keeps getting picked is that the coach that does really wants to be the one that has him if he returns to the form he showed when he first came onto the scene, he seemed the real deal then. I guess we will see how BKH fits in with the tahs during the trials to see who gets the bench spot.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Anesi being more physical is a great sign for him. He has been afraid of the physical stuff since that awful injury to his neck.

BTW, this (Anesi's problem with contact since his injury) was pointed out and known by rugby fans BEFORE he went to the Tahs. Surely the Tahs must have known?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
My two cents

The Tahs squad is better with the purchases of Cross and Bracken who can both cover 13 if Horne is wounded, this season we had Sidey as cover and Hickey decided Carter was a better option, so perfect? nup. Better, surely

On Anesi, just who would have been a better option as squad 15 cover?

Someone available who could start a S15 match and has experience?

Not maybe able to start a match, but able to start a S15 match in early February if he has to; the only one I can think of is Ben Batger, and would he have been any better?

To me, they looked and couldn't find anyone better while they continue to develop young 15s like Woodhouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.