• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Is there still an injury situation there, Bruce? Otherwise, I'd say you're on the money

Hangers has had an operation, Jnor, and should be raring to go for the start of the Super season.

While he was injured he coached the Uni backline. I can't think of a better way for a five-eighth to further advance his knowledge of the most complex position in rugby than coaching a good quality backline. It's ironic that a couple of those players may stand in the way of him getting a starting spot.

Still. with the extended Super season there is likely to be much more player rotation either because of injury or to give players a rest.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
The Tahs are thin in the centres. I have made no secret of the fact that I do not rate Carter. He is limited and predictable. Cross had one good season two years ago and it is a mystery why the Tahs chased him. If Horne is again injured 13 will be a real weakness, in fact if Horne is again crocked I would rather see BKH start there than either Carter or Cross. 12 is also an issue though less so with Barnes, Holmes, Hangers in that order able to cover the spot.

#1 Tah

Chilla Wilson (44)
The Tahs are thin in the centres.

12: Carter, Barnes, Cross, BKH, Beale, Horne, Holmes, Halangahu, worst case scenario is one of the outside backs.
13. Horne, Cross, Carter, BKH, Turner, Mitchell, Anesi, Afa Pakalani, Beale, worst case scenario is Holmess.

I think we are good.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
12: Carter, Barnes, Cross, BKH, Beale, Horne, Holmes, Halangahu, worst case scenario is one of the outside backs.
13. Horne, Cross, Carter, BKH, Turner, Mitchell, Anesi, Afa Pakalani, Beale, worst case scenario is Holmess.

I think we are good.

Like I said the Tahs are thin on Centres. As explained before I do not rate Carter or Cross (any longer). Barnes is 10 and 12 Cover and is Hangers. Holmes can cover 12 as a last resort. Horne is 13 only really and if crocked I would rather see BKH (as untried as he is at Super level before Carter or Cross. Turner is a last resort option, I would not like to see any of the others mentioned at 13.

So at this stage the only quality centres the Tahs have is Barnes at 12 and Horne at 13.

Back-up is Hangers 12 (Beale would have to go to 10) and BKH at 13 or Turner.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Like I said the Tahs are thin on Centres. As explained before I do not rate Carter or Cross (any longer). Barnes is 10 and 12 Cover and is Hangers. Holmes can cover 12 as a last resort. Horne is 13 only really and if crocked I would rather see BKH (as untried as he is at Super level before Carter or Cross. Turner is a last resort option, I would not like to see any of the others mentioned at 13.

So at this stage the only quality centres the Tahs have is Barnes at 12 and Horne at 13.

Back-up is Hangers 12 (Beale would have to go to 10) and BKH at 13 or Turner.

i dont think there thinner than any other aus team.

i would throw mitchell into outside for a test run before turner though. stronger in the tackle.

T

TOCC

Its possible that the Waratahs went to hard to early when it came to tying up there players this season, with the threat of the Rebels looming at the start of this year, the Waratahs tied up a large proportion of there backline early on.

Im not saying that any of the players didnt deserve to be re-signed, but it would have effected impacted on what new recruits they could sign at the tail end of the season.

Reactions: DPK

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
nto saying he didnt, but i prefer him on the wing and think mitchell would be a stronger runner closer in if it came to that. Shute shield is only relevant to form cos sevens rugby exists.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
my money on it being Horne then Cross then Carter then BKH.

I don't those three above (Lachie, Mitchell or Anesi) will feature.

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
Noticed on the website in the Tahs extended squad that they've got Sitaleki and Lopeti Timani, Chris Alcock and John Ulugia. Also, John Grant training with them under a Sevens contract.

Not a bad bunch of players in the next level down; seem to cover positions where there isn't as much cover directly in the Super squad (hooker/lock/openside)

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
interesting:

SUPER RUGBY TRAINING SQUAD:

Chris Alcock
Tim Bennetts
Greg Peterson
Ben Seymour
Lopeti Timani
Sitaleki Timani
John Ulugia
Jacob Woodhouse

HSBC WARATAHS ACADEMY

Damon Anderson
Eddie Bredenhann
Tetera Faulkner
Greg Jeloudev
Tom Kingston
Trent Lake
Maile Latekefu
Apolosi Latunipulu
Miles McCaffrey**
Rohan Saifoloi
Nick Seymour
Scott Sio
Sai Vakarau
Ben Volavola

ARU SEVENS PROGRAM

Bernard Foley
John Grant
Jason Seage

excellent. Hope to see the other states announce their Academy squads soon too.

Cyril Towers (30)
excellent. Hope to see the other states announce their Academy squads soon too.
Good to see Tetera Faulkner getting an Academy spot. He has shown consistently this year that he can match it against the best front rows in the Shute Shield. He will not disappoint.

T

TOCC

Pre-season starts next week for the rest of the provinces, I'm sure we will see the squads then, one would hope they would be finalized by now

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
again? He was there, and then came back (got cut?) this year and played some games for NSW A/the Tah Academy.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
again? He was there, and then came back (got cut?) this year and played some games for NSW A/the Tah Academy.

I know but I thought he got a temp transfer to cover the Tahs when they lost TPN and Frier leaving Fitz as the lone senior Hooker. Might be wrong (gasp) there.

Status
Not open for further replies.