• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Fark how good was that vid!

Apparently when A Finger crash balls at 12 it's a miracle, when TC does it's a travesty.

The crash ball role's a good 'un, but you need more of a line threat at 10 I reckon, which is what QC (Quade Cooper) does for the reds. Neither Barnes of late or Hangers really do that - Beale would be the best pick. If you don't, then the defence just piles onto 12 minimising the go forward and slowing the recycle.

In previous years I hadn't had a problem with TC because of what he offers in the attributes needed above as well as work rate and D. The balance for me tipped a little last year though with the faster and more open phase play when he found himself in situations where the 'hit-up' wasn't the right option - he didn't have another. I remember a certain bombed try with Sookface that encapsulated it for me

R

Red Rooster

To add to cyclo's post, I think a lot of the games when the Tah's have played "boring" or "ugly" football, the conditions or opposition have not allowed the sort of rugby everyone thinks the Reds play.

Konze - "Perception is reality" - you have to do something significant to change it. The Reds were a bunch of losers 12 months ago - believe it or not the perception has changed. i remember when the Tahs were a bunch of chokers - Things change but the Tahs have to drive it otherwise they will always be thought of as conservative and fwd orientated - Their backline screams attacking potential - but the perception and reality is that the coaches and captain are creatures of habit - enjoy the season I hope you get your wish.

ps I am not sure the playing conditions for the tahs are any worse than for anyone else and the opposition certainly isn't so that excuse might be a bit weak

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I still think the Reds are a bunch of losers, albeit very entertaining losers.

Carter should get the 12 jersey against the Rebels, but like any other position, if he doesn't perform Cross or Holmes should get a shot.

As usual, we are talking about the backs when the forwards are the issue. If they front up, and the squad rotation is done well, the team will be in business. If not, it won't matter who is playing inside centre.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I still think the Reds are a bunch of losers, albeit very entertaining losers.

the funny thing is, the only difference in the reds play this year was Link hardened up there forwards and they laid a more traditional platform (see boring tahs play) before the ball went wide. other than doing the boring stuff right, it was the same as they played the last three years.

R

Red Rooster

the funny thing is, the only difference in the reds play this year was Link hardened up there forwards and they laid a more traditional platform (see boring tahs play) before the ball went wide. other than doing the boring stuff right, it was the same as they played the last three years.

They went from the worst defence to one of the best in 4 months so there might have been a few things changing. They have more than doubled their wallaby participation so Deans must be seeing something

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think the tahs look very good for 2011 & I expect them to be better than 2010. Barnes will be better for sure, he won't go missing in 2011 like he did 2010.

Another entertaing game was the Tahs v Blues along with that Hurricanes game, TPN was awesome that night against the Blues he was on another level to every other forward on the park.

My Tahs 1st 15 if all squad members are fit would be.
1.Robinson 2.TPN 3.Baxter 4.Mumm 5.Douglas 6.Mowen 7.Waugh 8.Palu 9.Burgess 10.Barnes 11.Mitchell 12.Carter 13.Horne 14.Turner 15.Beale.

Across the park the Tahs can match it with any side in the super 15 & if Beale continues on from his 2010 test form & fitness he will run amok in the super 15.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
My Tahs 1st 15 if all squad members are fit would be.
1.Robinson 2.TPN 3.Baxter 4.Mumm 5.Douglas 6.Mowen 7.Waugh 8.Palu 9.Burgess 10.Barnes 11.Mitchell 12.Carter 13.Horne 14.Turner 15.Beale.

You are right, disco. That is an impressive line up with quite a number of other quality players also in contention. Assuming all these players are fit, one great advantage that I see for the Waratahs is that although the team is loaded with Wallabies most will be fresh starting the season, having played either no rugby or only a limited amount since the end of this year's Super season.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I think the bench is always the key issue

16 Fitzpatrick
17 Kepu/Tilse/Ryan
18 Dennis/Jowitt/O'Connor/
19 McCutcheon/McCaffrey/
20 Holmes/McKibbin/
21 Karauria-Henry/Cross/Anesi

There are some solid units in that lot, either to make an impact or to cover injuries

W

WB3

16 Fitzpatrick
17 Kepu/Tilse/Ryan
19 McCutcheon/McCaffrey/
20 Holmes/McKibbin/

There are some solid units in that lot, either to make an impact or to cover injuries

I assume either a second prop or a second outside back will take the remaining reserve spot. I would rather see them use the second prop because I can honestly see the big fellas benefiting more from rotation/substitution than outside backs.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
and so when Vickerman comes back, do we reckon he'll just play off the bench or get back in the starting side? I guess come Rnd 10 injuries will be a factor too. Just a wait and see approach is most realistic.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
As an option I'd like to have a another midfielder that poses the double threat that Horne does: to beat people running with the ball or to do things that helps the guy he passes to do the same.

I'd like to see BKH get a trial at 12 and/or 13 - especially in the first trial when all the wannabies get a run and the result is random. I can't remember his playing in the midfield for Southern Districts or the Brumbies, only on the wing, but he looks like a centre. He has good footwork and his elusiveness for Oz 7's argues that he should do well there. That's on attack. I can't remember any defensive problems he had.

It will be interesting to see if an avoider of tackles in the midfield will have a better effect than the crashers of tackles we have. Maybe not, but let's see.

PS - I've just looked him up on the Tahs site - it's looking fancier now. BKH is listed as a centre. Behind the times again, I'm afraid - but I'll leave this post in.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
and so when Vickerman comes back, do we reckon he'll just play off the bench or get back in the starting side? I guess come Rnd 10 injuries will be a factor too. Just a wait and see approach is most realistic.

You would assume bench to start, he hasn't played a proper game for too long.

But he has always looked a pro, so we can assume he is working towards getting his fitness up in the UK.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

16 Fitzpatrick
17 Kepu/Tilse/Ryan
19 McCutcheon/McCaffrey/
20 Holmes/McKibbin/

fp, I assume that you just forgot Halangahu. He is arguably the one most likely to challenge for a starting spot.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
You would assume bench to start, he hasn't played a proper game for too long.

But he has always looked a pro, so we can assume he is working towards getting his fitness up in the UK.

you'd think that, study permitting, he may well participate in a few Wallaby training sessions over there. At least I think it'd be worth everyone's while.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah, forgot Hangers, but it would be a bloody tough argument to think he could start instead of that proposed side, but he is a solid bench option

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)

I don't think we are thinking too much about Vickerman at all; in fact I forgot he was coming late in the season. No doubt he will get a game with Sydney Uni to see where he is at. I assume that the Tahs and/or the ARU have a preparation plan for him over there so he can hit the ground running, because it will be hard for him at his age otherwise.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
you'd think that, study permitting, he may well participate in a few Wallaby training sessions over there. At least I think it'd be worth everyone's while.

I am sure the Tahs team have worked out a program for him, as well as the ARU

Status
Not open for further replies.