• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratahs 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
From Rugby News

Waratahs Rugby appoints new CEO

The head of one of Australia’s most successful sporting events has been appointed as the new chief executive officer of Waratahs Rugby.

The head of one of Australia’s most successful sporting events has been appointed as the new chief executive officer of Waratahs Rugby.

Jason Allen joins Waratahs Rugby after two years as chief executive of the South Australian Motor Sport Board, the organisation responsible for Australia’s largest and most-awarded sporting event, the Clipsal 500 V8 Supercars race.

Prior to heading up the event – which attracts around 280,000 spectators each year – Mr Allen held a variety of senior executive positions with major blue chip companies including National/State Management roles for Carlton United Breweries and Southcorp Wines, and National General Manager of Consumer Sales, Vodafone Australia Pty Ltd.

In these roles Mr Allen managed many direct sponsorship links with sport including Rugby, and was responsible for Vodafone’s joint major sponsorship of the Port Adelaide AFL Club, during which time he also served on the club’s Marketing Executive.

Mr Allen was a Board Member for Variety South Australia prior to being appointed as a National Director on the Variety Australia Board, and remains a Chairman’s Club Member and Ambassador of the Port Adelaide AFL Club.

Having worked or resided on the eastern seaboard for over 15 years prior to his move to South Australia, Mr Allen is keen to return to Sydney where he has spent a considerable portion of his professional career.

“With Super Rugby moving into a new era in 2011 it’s clear that there are some fantastic opportunities ahead for the HSBC Waratahs and I’ll be looking to use my experience in major events, professional sport, sponsorship and marketing to help the organisation take advantage of those,” said Mr Allen.

“Ultimately, my role will be to ensure the squad and team management have everything they need to continue their success of recent times and that the fans have the best possible experience in supporting their team.

“There’s certainly going to be some challenges ahead to hit the goals we need to at the professional level to ensure the game at the grassroots continues to grow and prosper, but I’m really looking forward to working with all of the sport’s stakeholders in NSW, from the sponsors right through to the volunteers, to ensure we achieve everything we set out to.”

Waratahs Rugby chairman Edwin Zemancheff says Mr Allen’s experience in senior levels in the corporate and sporting environments makes him an outstanding candidate for the role of CEO of Waratahs Rugby.

“We undertook an extensive recruitment process and the Board is confident that in appointing Jason Allen we have found the best candidate to complement the on-field success of the HSBC Waratahs by growing the business and enhancing existing revenue streams,” said Mr Zemancheff.

“Jason has a proven track record of bringing exciting innovations and strategies to highly recognisable brands and events which is exactly what we’re looking to do with the HSBC Waratahs.

“Sydney is undoubtedly the most demanding sporting market in the country and with the expansion of Super Rugby next year we need to be in a position to take advantage of the opportunities the new competition will present.

“The overall health of Rugby in NSW has much to do with the success of the HSBC Waratahs, and Jason will be working closely with both the Waratahs Rugby and NSW Rugby Union Boards to ensure the successes achieved at the professional level flow down to the participation levels of the game.”

Mr Allen will commence work with Waratahs Rugby in early November.

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Soseni Anesi was so awesome in his first year we've signed him back for 2011.
I like the sound of a Tongan Hitman though..

HSBC Waratahs complete 2011 Super Rugby roster

The HSBC Waratahs have put the finishing touches on their 2011 Super Rugby squad with the addition of two New Zealand-based Pacific Islanders.

Samoan-born former All Black Sosene Anesi will return to NSW following his debut season with the HSBC Waratahs in 2010, while Auckland wing Atieli ‘Afa’ Pakalani has the opportunity to make his Super Rugby debut in 2011.

A one-Test international who also won a gold medal in Sevens at the 2006 Commonwealth Games, Anesi made his NSW debut last season after 41 appearances for the Chiefs including the 2009 Super 14 Final. He went on to start at fullback in the first six matches of the season before the emergence of Kurtley Beale in the custodian role.

He went on to play off the bench in the following six matches before suffering an injury at his old stamping ground in Hamilton, forcing him to miss the final match of the regular season and the semi-final.

One of the most popular members of the squad ‘Sos’ said he is looking forward to coming back to Sydney for one more year and pushing for a place in the match day squad.

“Personally and for the team I think there’s a bit of unfinished business from 2010 and I’m grateful for the opportunity to come back and make amends for that,” said Anesi. “It was disappointing to miss those last couple of games because as a unit the backs had come so far in a short space of time.

“Last year I was new to the team, Berrick [Barnes] and Drew [Mitchell] were new to the team as well and KB (Kurtley Beale) [Kurtley Beale] was getting used to a new position so we spent a lot of time developing our combinations and our style.

“By the time we were really hitting our straps the season was almost over but in 2011 we’ll be starting from a much better place.”

Afa Pakalani joins the team on a two-year deal after two seasons with Auckland in the NPC. Known as the ‘Tongan Hitman’, Pakalani was selected for his provincial debut last year without having played a senior club match.

Pakalani went on to win Auckland’s Most Promising NPC Player of the Year Award in 2009 and has accumulated 17 caps for the perennial title contenders in his first two years at provincial level.

A product of Tamaki College, Pakalani captained Tonga at the 2009 IRB Junior World Championships including the pool game against Australia where he was up against fellow NSW squad members Kane Douglas and Kurtley Beale.

“This is a great opportunity for me,” said Pakalani, who is also the cousin of HSBC Waratahs prop Sekope Kepu. “It’s going to be a big challenge to push for a place in the back three because it’s full of Test players at NSW but I’m hoping to learn a lot and if I get a chance then I’m going to take it.

“The Waratahs have shown a lot of faith in me and I want to repay them.”

HSBC Waratahs head coach Chris Hickey said he is looking forward to the addition of both players who will strengthen the NSW backline.

“It’s good to get the squad finalised and we’re really happy with how it has come together,” said Hickey. “I know Sos loved it in Sydney and he was great for the group, but he has more to show us than what he did in 2010.

“He’s been in great form for Waikato in the NPC and has that ability to fill in anywhere in the back three.

“Afa’s a developing player who has a lot of natural talent, great footwork, he’s good in the air and he’s strong defensively as well. There’s clearly quite a few quality players who are in front of him at the moment but he’s been playing against the best players in New Zealand for two years now and we know he’ll be up to the challenge.”

The HSBC Waratahs return to training on Monday 1 November, however players who have been involved in the Wallabies Spring Tour training squad or the NPC in New Zealand will return in the weeks that follow.

SOSENE ANESI
Position: Fullback/Wing
Physical: 187cm, 95kg
Born: 03.07.81, Apia SAM
Club: Eastern Suburbs
Provincial Caps: 100 [Waikato 88, Chiefs 41, HSBC Waratahs 12]
Provincial Points: 225 [Waikato 165 (33t), Chiefs 60 (12t)]
Provincial Debut: 2003 v Bay of Plenty [Waikato]
Super Rugby Caps: 53 [Chiefs 41, HSBC Waratahs 12]
Super Rugby Points: 60 [Chiefs 60 (12t)]
Super Rugby Debut: 2005 v NSW Waratahs [Chiefs]
Test Caps: 1 [New Zealand]
Test Points: 0
Test Debut: 2005 v Fiji [New Zealand]

ATIELI ‘AFA’ PAKALANI
Position: Wing
Physical: 183cm, 84kg
Born: 02.08.89, Ha’ateiho TON
Club: TBC
Provincial Caps: 17 [Auckland 17]
Provincial Points: 15 [Auckland 15 (3t)]
Provincial Debut: 2009 v Hawke’s Bay
Super Rugby Caps: 0
Test Caps: 0

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think all this signing of NPC players is devaluing Australian rugby to be honest.

Whilst Anesi's NPC form has been better it still isn't good and Afa is someone who is yet to make his mark on the game.

If you want a veteran player in the outside backs get someone like Pete Playford or a bunch of others who are AUSSIE. If you want an unproven talent in the outside backs they are everywhere all over Australia, why go to NZ?

Silly silly.

T

TOCC

Nothing wrong with it IMO, Peter Playford is never going to make the Wallabies so what's it matter, Anesi has more experience at a higher level and is a proven product(albeit not a very good one).

I don't necessarily agree with the players they recruited, however I have no qualms with recruiting from kiwi land

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez with a guy like Haig Sare still unsigned you have to wonder. Anesi must have found some incriminating photos of Hickey, because I have no idea why he has been resigned.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
So Anesi is the "Marquee" player again :nta: he was rubbish this year.

So what is Pakalani? Has he agreed to make himself available for Aus as a development player?

inthestands

Sydney Middleton (9)
So Anesi is the "Marquee" player again :nta: he was rubbish this year.

I think the term 'marquee' best be scrapped by all. There is no way any Australian Super team could afford a player of 'marquee' value. We associate the Dwight Yorke's and Robbie Fowler's with the term 'marquee' in the A-League because they are better than others and are paid accordingly.

There is no way known that Sosene Anesi, Daniel Braid, Andre Pretorius or David Hill held any 'marquee' value for fans, and I imagine they would not have been paid as such. Same goes for the raft of them at the Rebels... I wouldn't exactly call Hoani MacDonald and Michael Lipman 'marquee'... maybe Cipriani is the closest (in pay packet as well) and he may not even turn up.

All they are is a good player from overseas who is happy to take what is offered to them.

For what it's worth, I imagine guys like Betham, Sare, Taumoepeau, Mafi, Sidey, A.Smith etc never saw themselves getting a crack at the starting XV in NSW with Horne, Beale, Turner and Mitchell there. They have probably signed elsewhere with hopes of a start (which they will probably get at some point)... in that case it was probably a bit difficult for the Tahs to secure a player of potential starting quality when they know right from the start they are the fourth, fifth or sixth choice in the back three.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)

There is no way known that Sosene Anesi, Daniel Braid, Andre Pretorius or David Hill held any 'marquee' value for fans, and I imagine they would not have been paid as such.
All they are is a good player from overseas who is happy to take what is offered to them.

Braid - Hmmmm an unwanted Ex All Black put in the right environment (ours), with the right coaching (ours), and experiences (based here) and what happens? The bugger turns up getting reselected and being used against us as back up to Sir Richard.

Shee-it. Didn't realise the "marque" player clause was actually part off the New Zealand Rugby development programme.

Well done by us.:D Very clever strategy.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
We've just had Adam D'Arcy leave for Europe, would much rather see him playing for the Tahs than a known non-quantity like Anesi.

I don't know whether to start an incandescent rant or just give up and wait for 2012. All that can be said is that these recruitments are on par with a number of other very bad Hickey decisions. We now know why D'Arcy went, he was obviously told he wasn't good enough and wouldn't get a shot at it. And then Hickey brings back Anesi!

I look forward to WaratahJesus, the master Hickey apologist, justifying this diabolical selection. If he can do it, well, I dips me lid.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Well we won't know about the whole D'Arcy thing till it plays out. We may see him come back from Europe Super rugby starting quality.

Alternatively, he could come to nothing or even get capped for Ireland, only time will tell.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Well we won't know about the whole D'Arcy thing till it plays out. We may see him come back from Europe Super rugby starting quality.

Alternatively, he could come to nothing or even get capped for Ireland, only time will tell.

But it didn't have to be that way. Had Hickey given him a shot, we could have kept him here. From what I saw on match of the day (all I can get in Adelaide) he was going really well in Shute except for his place kicking. Being a superior performer in Shute is a prerequisite for a full Tahs contract and I reckon he ticked that box. We are not that flush with talent that we can afford to throw away potentially good juniors and still expect our senior team in five years time to be world class. Would he have made it? No one ever knows who is going to develop and who is going to stagnate. But if you send them offshore and employ duds from NZ you eliminate possible Wallabies for no apparent benefit.

The only apparent rationale for Hickey doing it was that he already knows his contract won't be extended so he is not making any decision to develop the team beyond this next season. There's good and bad in that.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Hawko - incadescent rage is about right on this one. WTF is Hickey thinking?! Is the state of rugby in NSW so bad that we have to persevere with Anesi AND bring in another Kiwi?! Utter madness. On the bright side, I'm actually feeling a bit better about RD as a Wallaby coach when I compare him with Hickey.

Status
Not open for further replies.