• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Waratah Fan Forum

Waratah fan forum:

• Good idea

Votes: 27 60.0%
  • Bad idea

Votes: 18 40.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Just like to point out that although the Tahs have less members in a bigger city they also have a lot more competition. Brisbane has 1 league and 1 AFL side. While Sydney has the Bulk of the NRL sides in the competition. So it's probably unfair to compare the Reds membership drive with the Waratahs.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Eddy Zemancheff was there (and not in the Waratahs suit might I add...)

That has got to be a good thing; it was suggested this morning by GG in the SMH that no Tahs or RU Board members would attend (but then, I hear myself grumbling, what would he know...)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What does Phil mean when he says a lack of skills execution is preventing them to play an expansive game? So instead of meaning to pass they are kicking the ball?

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Unfortunately no.
I did go on about the dead atmosphere only to be told by Jason Allen about bad speakers?!
No mate - getting the crowd involved, I find more pleasure at the rugby getting drunk these days!

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/waratahs-fans-vent-their-frustrations-20110519-1euxr.html

Rugbyheaven article makes it sound like the whole session was spent bagging the shit out of the way the Tahs have been playing for the past few seasons. Just what the fuck would people be saying if were getting thumped each week?

I also agree that the Tahs should be aiming for a lot more than 10,000 members. I suppose the Reds do have an advantage in that there's only really 1 NRL up here, whereas the punters in Sydney have a lot more choice when it comes to where to plonk their dollars. But you can't say the Reds figures are over-inflated by 3 game memberships when the Tahs have a 2 game "membership".

If you can't get 10,000 people to sign up for 2 game memberships, then you're doing it wrong.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
I'd like to point out one notable patron who turned up to it hadn't been to a Waratahs game
In 5 odd years, the only game he's watched in 2 years was 30 mins of the force game before switching it off.

I want to know why was he even there? All he did was bag them out.

Majority of the people that were there were grumpy old rugby men. I even got shot down for my comment about financial factors involved with fans.

They also said about anz stadium saying it's the most feasible option to play there to an empty stadium. I'm sorry but parramatta stadium is 10 minutes down the road, you'd fill it and still be in touch with your western suburbs base.

R

Red Rooster

Just like to point out that although the Tahs have less members in a bigger city they also have a lot more competition. Brisbane has 1 league and 1 AFL side. While Sydney has the Bulk of the NRL sides in the competition. So it's probably unfair to compare the Reds membership drive with the Waratahs.

Sully you forgot to mention that Brisbane has a population 3 million less than Sydney so the membership drive is significant - to go from 5000 to 15,000 is a significant relative difference look at the improvement not the number. They have also sold 145 corp boxes up from 35 the previous year - they are serious numbers in a much smaller town. If you want to add the Gold cost then add another AFL, League and Soccer team to the mix

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Rugbyheaven article makes it sound like the whole session was spent bagging the shit out of the way the Tahs have been playing for the past few seasons. Just what the fuck would people be saying if were getting thumped each week?

Agreed. All the reports coming out of it seem to be focusing on the least-important issue, the Tah's playing style. What more can fans do, other than to ask the players to give 100% to win every game? If people don't like rugby teams trying to beat each other, and would rather see tries scored, they should go and watch 7s.

I feel sorry for the people who went to suggest realistic improvements to the running of the club, their concerns will probably be given less attention due to the wannabee super15 coaches who want to see pretty backs rugby. PLzzz Chris, make them give Drew <3 more... xoxo!

/rant

Sorry for getting agro, i think this was a great idea, i just hate seeing it turned into a "complain about the coach&players day".

R

Red Rooster

With all due respect to the Tahs' business leaders, they cannot in all seriousness consider 10k members an exciting aspirational target if in 6 months of trying the Reds have hit 15,200 members in a city half the size of Sydney? How many members do the Tahs have today?

With respect the revenue is irrelevant - profit is the key otherwise you cannot change anything. I am hearing they are way behind now and might not be able to fund the NSWRU grant committment. Being in finals is also irrelevant unless you host them as they are actually a cost not a profit away from home.

drewprint

Alan Cameron (40)
I'd like to point out one notable patron who turned up to it hadn't been to a Waratahs game. In 5 odd years, the only game he's watched in 2 years was 30 mins of the force game before switching it off. I want to know why was he even there?

As odd as his motivations it may be, his reaction does speak volumes. Being unable to engage a curious onlooker is as much a failure as being unable to engage die-hard fans. Sydney is a shit storm of sporting skirmishes, and this chaps reaction is probably a pretty good barometer of how rugby is performing against all the rest.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
I should check my grammar and full stops before posting. As I read in an article he stopped going to games 8 yrs ago

T

TOCC

With respect the revenue is irrelevant - profit is the key otherwise you cannot change anything. I am hearing they are way behind now and might not be able to fund the NSWRU grant committment. Being in finals is also irrelevant unless you host them as they are actually a cost not a profit away from home.

revenue is irrelevant?

It needs to be remembered, that whilst these organsisations need to be run by businesses, they are at the end of the day still non-profit organisations. The only need for a profit is to create a buffer for the future due to fluctuations in the market.

Higher revenue is a indicator that a organisation is not only receiving higher income, but that they are reinvesting that money as well.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I should check my grammar and full stops before posting. As I read in an article he stopped going to games 8 yrs ago

Hodgo, you can always go back and edit your posts when you notice that something's not right, although you don't really need to do so. Your meaning is always quite clear.

I frequently edit mine but that's just habit or obsessive compulsive disorder. I even check my text messages before I send them to make sure they're grammatical and properly punctuated.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Hodgo, you can always go back and edit your posts when you notice that something's not right, although you don't really need to do so. Your meaning is always quite clear.

I frequently edit mine but that's just habit or obsessive compulsive disorder. I even check my text messages before I send them to make sure they're grammatical and properly punctuated.

Yeah I'm aware of that. When I posted it was 1am this morning

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/waratahs-fans-vent-their-frustrations-20110519-1euxr.html

I also agree that the Tahs should be aiming for a lot more than 10,000 members. I suppose the Reds do have an advantage in that there's only really 1 NRL up here, whereas the punters in Sydney have a lot more choice when it comes to where to plonk their dollars. But you can't say the Reds figures are over-inflated by 3 game memberships when the Tahs have a 2 game "membership".

If you can't get 10,000 people to sign up for 2 game memberships, then you're doing it wrong.
If you're referring to my post earlier about membership numbers, as it seems you are, you have misunderstood me. I was in no way suggesting Reds' membership figures are inflated by 3 game memberships at all. I was interested to know the breakdown, as it may point towards the way to get more memberships at the Tahs. As I suggested, the Reds seem to be doing it right, so let's take a lead from them.
I agree that 10 000 is a low point at which to aim, but it is a start.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
yeah, midway through last night (OK, 2 wines in) I did a 180 on this whole concept. OK, yes the tahs are not playing attractive rugby, but at least they are winning. Ironically, I think if they were playing like this and losing there would be less compaint as everyone would think "oh well, the tahs are just shit" but as it stands people expect more of them knowing they have more to give. however 3/4 of the way through a longer season and with some key strike weapons injured, maybe they dont and it's a credit to them they are hanging in there in the competition. I guess what I am trying to say is that it is better to play shitty rugby and be winning (with a good shot at a finals spot) than to play shitty rugby and lose (anyone remember 1997-2002?)

Either way, the punter backlash has inspired me to go to more live rugby, if only to show some more support. In the end, whatever you think of the tahs, or the NSWRU board, bums on seats = revenue= funding for all levels of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.